or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Astell & Kern AK240
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Astell & Kern AK240 - Page 246

post #3676 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by kh600rr View Post

I asked Craig at Whiplash about this. He was in the middle if making me a new cable terminated 2.5mm, here's his responce.
I will have your cable shipped tomorrow (today really). The AK240 female
2.5mm is very poorly mounted. There is a variance with this PCB female
jack. Now most of this is with units in Japan.
Plus I have a much better connector now!!

Sorry, what does 'poorly mounted' mean? Also how long does Whiplash take to create custom cables? Be interested in a review of your new cable :). I find the 2.5mm connector to be poorly made on the specimens I've seen so far on the market, a right angled one would be great.

post #3677 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantana View Post

Sorry, what does 'poorly mounted' mean? Also how long does Whiplash take to create custom cables? Be interested in a review of your new cable smily_headphones1.gif. I find the 2.5mm connector to be poorly made on the specimens I've seen so far on the market, a right angled one would be great.
About 3-4 weeks on the cable. As far as poorly mounted, there are others here with better expertise then me to answer that. It seems to be a issue with design.
post #3678 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantana View Post
 

Sorry, what does 'poorly mounted' mean? Also how long does Whiplash take to create custom cables? Be interested in a review of your new cable :). I find the 2.5mm connector to be poorly made on the specimens I've seen so far on the market, a right angled one would be great.

 

The jack is mounted to the PCB, an approach that can lead to less than optimum alignment of the male and female connectors. Chassis mount is the best way to go, IMHO, but on such a small device as the 240 there is little room to use such a method. Additionally, there is greater labor expense since the jack pins have to be soldered to the PCB via connection wire ... no such expense with PCB mounted female connectors.

post #3679 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbrent View Post
 

 

The jack is mounted to the PCB, an approach that can lead to less than optimum alignment of the male and female connectors. Chassis mount is the best way to go, IMHO, but on such a small device as the 240 there is little room to use such a method. Additionally, there is greater labor expense since the jack pins have to be soldered to the PCB via connection wire ... no such expense with PCB mounted female connectors.

Thanks, that explains it.  I carry the AK240 in the back pocket of my jeans so when I sit down it sometimes pushes on the connector.  Have to search for some nicer 2.5mm connectors now.

post #3680 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantana View Post

Thanks, that explains it.  I carry the AK240 in the back pocket of my jeans so when I sit down it sometimes pushes on the connector.  Have to search for some nicer 2.5mm connectors now.
Try Ted at Headphone Lounge. I have not read about any difficulties with his. Mine works fine.
post #3681 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraguie View Post

Try Ted at Headphone Lounge. I have not read about any difficulties with his. Mine works fine.
I concur about Ted, he's great, quality stuff and he's fast. Just got a new case and cable from him.
post #3682 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by kh600rr View Post


I concur about Ted, he's great, quality stuff and he's fast. Just got a new case and cable from him.

 

+1 - my 2.5mm connector from Ted works great - no issues.

post #3683 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrondaniel View Post

+1 - my 2.5mm connector from Ted works great - no issues.
Me too. Ted was great to deal with and very, very knowledgeable about all aspects of the 240. My new balanced silver Litz fits perfectly without any issue. I'm even going to admit that I occasionally pull by the cord to extract from the case! I know, I know, I won't do it again, but just an example of how solid ted's connector is.
post #3684 of 8541

Put me on the Ted train too, great guy to do business with ...

post #3685 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbrent View Post
 

Put me on the Ted train too, great guy to do business with ...

+1 Ted is indeed the man!!

post #3686 of 8541

post #3687 of 8541
Let's make it offical. Ted for President... biggrin.gif
post #3688 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtomr View Post
 

I think this is closer to what Ted looks like:

post #3689 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkcc View Post


I quite like using my AK240 optical to Hugo rca to wa22 with my HD800 and LCD3 wink.gif

 

AK240 optical -> Hugo ->  TUR-06 might be another solution, and still (trans)Portable.  The TUR-06 is a TUBE amp that has the exact same footprint than the HUGO. 

 

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

 

 

I owe a TU-05 and have on order a TUR-06...


Edited by bmichels - 6/12/14 at 2:25pm
post #3690 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraguie View Post
 

I think this is closer to what Ted looks like:

 

:L3000: 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Astell & Kern AK240