Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Astell & Kern AK240
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Astell & Kern AK240 - Page 219

post #3271 of 8604
Quote:
Originally Posted by archeryc View Post

 

But it seems a bit troublesome tho...haha

 

Yeah, apparently there's a 'new' JA Government requirement to pre-register your ID with the forwarder (like Tenso), but once that's done it's easy. 

post #3272 of 8604
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post

Vannuys offers a few options :-

http://www.vannuys.co.jp/n_astell_kern/ak240/type_a/index.html#set
Seems like the top flap actually covers up the balanced out of the ak240...
post #3273 of 8604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decreate View Post

Seems like the top flap actually covers up the balanced out of the ak240...

I saw one of those at the Tokyo Headphone Festival the other week, and it was quite nice--I'm not apt to carry things on my belt, though.

The strap you see does cover the balanced output when it's mounted straight. However, that strap has Velcro on both the front and back, so it can be easily angled to keep the balanced output free. I may have taken photos of it with the strap angled, and will post them if I did.

(Posted while mobile--may contain errors.)
post #3274 of 8604

In trying to download from iMac to my 240 using Android transfer I am continually getting a "screen locked" message even tho it's not. I've looked for any corrupted files, done a hard reset, etc. all to no avail. I would greatly appreciated any suggestions as I cannot transfer music any longer.

post #3275 of 8604
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurencewayne View Post
 

In trying to download from iMac to my 240 using Android transfer I am continually getting a "screen locked" message even tho it's not. I've looked for any corrupted files, done a hard reset, etc. all to no avail. I would greatly appreciated any suggestions as I cannot transfer music any longer.

You may want to try a different USB cable, if you haven't done so already.  I have found the Android software to be very "buggy", so much so that I dual boot my MacBook Pro with Windows 8.1 to transfer files.

post #3276 of 8604

Thank you for responding. I purchased a dock thinking it might be the cable, but it made no difference. I've reset, eliminated suspicious file,s tried all sorts of different techniques of dragging and dropping etc. I think your assessment is accurate: "buggy". What a shame; kinda' spoils the experience. Not completely as the sound is so wonderful.

post #3277 of 8604
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawaivpc1 View Post
 

wow! how does that miro sd to sd adapter work? do you have to install it inside AK240?

 

Has anyone tried that adapter? or tried to upgrade AK240's built-in HDD? I wonder if there's a way to upgrade AK240's HDD. Ipod Classic can be upgraded with a 500GB Micro SATA SSD. 

I have one in the AK120 with a 256 GB SD Card. Browsing is much slower, YMMV with the AK240. BTW Adorama has a sale on the 256GB SD card this weekend. 

post #3278 of 8604
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurencewayne View Post

Thank you for responding. I purchased a dock thinking it might be the cable, but it made no difference. I've reset, eliminated suspicious file,s tried all sorts of different techniques of dragging and dropping etc. I think your assessment is accurate: "buggy". What a shame; kinda' spoils the experience. Not completely as the sound is so wonderful.
Did you do sub directories under Music file?
post #3279 of 8604

Actually, I don't use the "music" file. I've been creating other folders.  But I just deleted the one I tried to load into (and kept getting various messages regarding locked screen etc.), created a new folder with a slightly different name and that worked! I am convinced it is an Android transfer program that is buggy.

post #3280 of 8604
Quote:
Originally Posted by efeist View Post

You may want to try a different USB cable, if you haven't done so already.  I have found the Android software to be very "buggy", so much so that I dual boot my MacBook Pro with Windows 8.1 to transfer files.

Sounds llike the problem is with Mac :-)
post #3281 of 8604
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurencewayne View Post
 

Actually, I don't use the "music" file. I've been creating other folders.  But I just deleted the one I tried to load into (and kept getting various messages regarding locked screen etc.), created a new folder with a slightly different name and that worked! I am convinced it is an Android transfer program that is buggy.

I transfer from a MBP and occasionally have a problem. My big issue that I had was I did not create folders inside the music folder to copy into. After erasing and starting over like the pix show now prob 99% of the time. I also leave a few individual songs at top so I can move the album/artist folder on top of the single songs. When you open the sub folders you see the songs at top and artists with albums inside or just albums.

You can see on the card what I mean.

 

 

My Card:

 

Are you using the USB cord that came with the AK?


Edited by Saraguie - 5/22/14 at 9:54pm
post #3282 of 8604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Edwards View Post
 

I have one in the AK120 with a 256 GB SD Card. Browsing is much slower, YMMV with the AK240. BTW Adorama has a sale on the 256GB SD card this weekend. 

Cool, so how did you connect your AK120 with 256GB SD card? it sounds interesting. As far as I know, there are two micro SD card slots in AK120. 

Have you try to connect two of 256GB SD card at the same time? If there's no significant sound quality difference between AK240 and AK120, I'd just go for AK120 with two 256GB SD cards.

post #3283 of 8604

I have one of these taped to the back of my AK120. 

http://www.dx.com/p/sd-to-microsd-transflash-card-converter-module-27001#.U37l5V5HhDQ

Delivery to the US took about 3 weeks.

I've used two of them at once without issue, other than the bigger lag in the UI with a bigger library. 

I've heard the AK240 and there's a noticeable improvement side by side compared to the AK120, especially in balanced mode. I'll probably upgrade some day. The reason I haven't yet is that I don't really love the company. I felt like they never got the AK120 truly 'right' with firmware. Certainly never made the required effort where mac users are concerned. And I'm annoyed that they've stopped developing the AK120 now that the 240 is shipping. If they're going to abandon the 120 users they really should offer an upgrade path. 

I also wish the AK240 had two MicroSD slots. It's hard to go down in storage capacity. 

post #3284 of 8604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Edwards View Post
 

I have one of these taped to the back of my AK120. 

http://www.dx.com/p/sd-to-microsd-transflash-card-converter-module-27001#.U37l5V5HhDQ

Delivery to the US took about 3 weeks.

I've used two of them at once without issue, other than the bigger lag in the UI with a bigger library. 

I've heard the AK240 and there's a noticeable improvement side by side compared to the AK120, especially in balanced mode. I'll probably upgrade some day. The reason I haven't yet is that I don't really love the company. I felt like they never got the AK120 truly 'right' with firmware. Certainly never made the required effort where mac users are concerned. And I'm annoyed that they've stopped developing the AK120 now that the 240 is shipping. If they're going to abandon the 120 users they really should offer an upgrade path. 

I also wish the AK240 had two MicroSD slots. It's hard to go down in storage capacity. 

That's very interesting. So you can get 256 x 2 + 64gb? 576GB?  that's incredible. I think that's already way beyond what AK240 can offer. 

I found that AK240 is using two DAC chips for audio streaming instead of one. They claim that makes audio quality better. 

 

I'd suggest you to wait for AK120 2nd generation. It will feature same dual DAC chip set up and a new interface like AK240. 

I heard it will come out within a week or two. 


Edited by kawaivpc1 - 5/22/14 at 11:35pm
post #3285 of 8604
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawaivpc1 View Post
 

That's very interesting. So you can get 256 x 2 + 64gb? 576GB?  that's incredible. I think that's already way beyond what AK240 can offer.

I found that AK240 is using two DAC chips for audio streaming instead of one. They claim that makes audio quality better.

 

I'd suggest you to wait for AK120 2nd generation. It will feature same dual DAC chip set up and a new interface like AK240.

I heard it will come out within a week or two.

I saw it in Munich last weekend - it has grown considerably in Size, has a completely new UI (based on Andorid like the 240)  AND it has only 1 card slot, (128 GB on board).

They said the card slot issue is due to limitations of Android.  

 

I uploaded some pics in my post in the AK100 thread for those who are interested.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Astell & Kern AK240