or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Astell & Kern AK240
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Astell & Kern AK240 - Page 206

post #3076 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by archeryc View Post
 

Here is the reply from Vinnie: 

 

Hi Yan,
 
For the TH900, the 3.5mm SE output is fine.  
 
The 2.5mm has a little bit more power, but you do not need it.  It is not better SQ - just more power.
 
Best regards,
Vinnie
 
 
 
 
So I think i will stick with the 3.5mm jack. :D

Balanced out has lower impedance 1 ohm vs 2 ohm SE.  It's not just additional power and it benefits some earphones more than others, eg IE800 running off balanced has been reported to benefit greatly.  I've only tried UE18 on balanced and it improved staging and layering for me.

post #3077 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmoonAK View Post
 

AK240 leather cases in black, blue, and salmon (we call it "coral") are now in stock at the iriver e-store!

 

http://shop.iriverinc.com/astell-kern-ak240-leather-case-243.html

May I ask when does the AKR03 iem would be available to purchase? Does it comes with balance 2.5mm cable? 

post #3078 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantana View Post
 

Balanced out has lower impedance 1 ohm vs 2 ohm SE.  It's not just additional power and it benefits some earphones more than others, eg IE800 running off balanced has been reported to benefit greatly.  I've only tried UE18 on balanced and it improved staging and layering for me.

The SE is 1 ohm or less as well if im not wrong. From AK240's specification.

 

Correct: from some of the website it says 1 ohm but the other says 2ohm. Not sure whether that's the case for RWAK240... :)


Edited by archeryc - 5/13/14 at 12:04pm
post #3079 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by archeryc View Post
 

The SE is 1 ohm or less as well if im not wrong. From AK240's specification.

Nah, the product literature mentioned 2 ohm impedance for SE and 2.1v.

Balanced listed as 1 ohm and 2.3v.

post #3080 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by archeryc View Post
 

May I ask when does the AKR03 iem would be available to purchase? Does it comes with balance 2.5mm cable? 

AKR03 has already been released in Asia and yes both SE and balanced cables supplied in the box.

post #3081 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantana View Post
 

AKR03 has already been released in Asia and yes both SE and balanced cables supplied in the box.

That's awesome! I guess i just have to wait for it now~~ :p

post #3082 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by archeryc View Post
 

May I ask when does the AKR03 iem would be available to purchase? Does it comes with balance 2.5mm cable? 

I'm quite unsure right now if they will be available in the US. 

 

Yes, they do come with the 2.5mm balanced cable. 

 

More details about the AKR03 here: http://www.astellnkern.com/eng/htm/accessory/akr03.asp

post #3083 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmoonAK View Post

I'm quite unsure right now if they will be available in the US. 

 

Yes, they do come with the 2.5mm balanced cable. 

 

More details about the AKR03 here: http://www.astellnkern.com/eng/htm/accessory/akr03.asp

 



Jimmy, were the JH IEMs paired with the AK240 at the SoCal meet AKR03s or just bass tuned normal Roxannes?
post #3084 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by HideousPride View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmoonAK View Post
 

I'm quite unsure right now if they will be available in the US. 

 

Yes, they do come with the 2.5mm balanced cable. 

 

More details about the AKR03 here: http://www.astellnkern.com/eng/htm/accessory/akr03.asp

 



Jimmy, were the JH IEMs paired with the AK240 at the SoCal meet AKR03s or just bass tuned normal Roxannes?

They were universal demo Roxannes that are tuned to the AK240.

post #3085 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmoonAK View Post
 

AK240 leather cases in black, blue, and salmon (we call it "coral") are now in stock at the iriver e-store!

 

http://shop.iriverinc.com/astell-kern-ak240-leather-case-243.html

 

Jmoon, Please clarify the price...It shows $79.99 but then says Black and Blue are +$59.99. Does that mean only the Red is $79.99, or what?

post #3086 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtomr View Post
 

 

Jmoon, Please clarify the price...It shows $79.99 but then says Black and Blue are +$59.99. Does that mean only the Red is $79.99, or what?

Our mistake. Retail is $79.99.

post #3087 of 8541
Quote:
 Our mistake. Retail is $79.99.

 

Do you know when these will be available through distributors on Amazon or Ebay?  With tax and shipping through iRiver's site; the total comes out to a little over $100.  I will buy it through Amazon with Prime shipping when/if available.  

post #3088 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzymo View Post
 

 

Do you know when these will be available through distributors on Amazon or Ebay?  With tax and shipping through iRiver's site; the total comes out to a little over $100.  I will buy it through Amazon with Prime shipping when/if available.  

Sent you a PM

post #3089 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantana View Post

The AK240 uses MTP as per Android Jellybean and above.  This imposes limits on multiple factors when compared to USB mass storage.  It is single tasking only, can't perform multiple operations to say search for file types and erase.  Most file managers will fail on MTP volumes.  Manual operations as far as I know from windows side.  On android 3rd party apps could do this but AK240 doesn't allow for installation.

Thanks for the info, appreciated.
post #3090 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelo898 View Post
 

please elaborate on this, thanks

Boozebuttons explained the set up we used and most of the evaluation was done using the hifiman headphones.  That said, the only IEM's I personally own are the Shure SE-846's and the only way I could listen to them was thru the 3.5 mm (unbalanced) output jack of either the Red Wine Audio RWAK240 or the second base (non modified)  AK240 we had.  We simply copied the exact same music I am personally very familiar with to both players and I moved the IEM jack between the RWAK240 and the AK240.  Honestly for the few minutes I listened this way I hardly moved to the base AK240 unit as I was already very familiar with how my source music sounds using this device.  I concentrated my efforts on the sound quality of the RWAK240.  The obvious difference to me using my IEM's was in the mid-range area (voice).  The sound was simply more musically correct and accurately described on the Red Wine Audio website.  

 

I also wanted to mention that Vinnie does a beautiful job with these mods!  He is very methodical man.  I very carefully inspected the RWAK240 regarding gaps, blemishes or scratches on the unit. I even looked carefully at the base jeweler screws and everything was literally perfect!  Trust me if something is even slightly deviated from a factory perfected unit (which I just got last week) it would drive me crazy!!!  Yes he is that good!  

 

Also as already mentioned in my previous post and in my humble opinion both units (AK240 and Cord Hugo) are truly current "state of the art" players however that being said, "thank goodness" for this upgrade path (RWAK240).  As I would have purchased already purchased the Cord Hugo if this path did not exist and for my application it would have been much more difficult for me to truly enjoy this beautifully sounding unit. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Astell & Kern AK240