or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Astell & Kern AK240
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Astell & Kern AK240 - Page 196

post #2926 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEars View Post

This maybe pointless to do since the AK has two memory slots, but have you guys tried using it as external DAC/Amp for smartphones?  biggrin.gif
Only one memory slot, up to 128 gig. Rudi may have run that combo.
post #2927 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by kh600rr View Post


Rudi may have run that combo.

 

What combo hasn't Rudi tried?! :biggrin:

post #2928 of 8541

I imagine Rudi's collection like a wardrobe full of clothing.  LIke,  you know when people look inside the closet full of clothes and look for outfits?  I picture Rudi has a closet full of portable amps/dacs/daps/phones that pulls out from time to time, and creates a stack.  :D  

post #2929 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEars View Post

This maybe pointless to do since the AK has two memory slots, but have you guys tried using it as external DAC/Amp for smartphones?  biggrin.gif

And you have a way to make it work with smartphones? Pls share .
post #2930 of 8541

has anyone done the RWAK mod? or is anyone considering it?

post #2931 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byronb View Post

All of my files are .aiff and they all play fine. 

Mine play fine too both from HD Tracks as well as B&W society of sound
post #2932 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayboy76 View Post


And you have a way to make it work with smartphones? Pls share .

If the AK240 works as standalone desktop USB DAC mode, I don't see why not through OTG connector on the smartphone with USB Audio player app.

post #2933 of 8541

Hello guys, I find it a bit curious that many people here and on similar forums online have the AK240, but have IEMs that are much less expensive than the player itself (sometimes up to 6x cheaper).

 

 

Am I missing something here?

post #2934 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedaite View Post

Hello guys, I find it a bit curious that many people here and on similar forums online have the AK240, but have IEMs that are much less expensive than the player itself (sometimes up to 6x cheaper).


Am I missing something here?
Mine is paired with IE-800, and Noble K-10, which is on order. Not exactly cheap, IMO.
post #2935 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by kh600rr View Post


Mine is paired with IE-800, and Noble K-10, which is on order. Not exactly cheap, IMO.

True, not cheap at all. I actually aimed this question at people with $400 - $600 IEMs/headphones.

 

The AK240 is around $2,500 so at least you should pair it with some TOTL phones if you're spending all that money on a player.

post #2936 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedaite View Post

True, not cheap at all. I actually aimed this question at people with $400 - $600 IEMs/headphones.

The AK240 is around $2,500 so at least you should pair it with some TOTL phones if you're spending all that money on a player.
Currawong did note in his AK-240 comparison/review, how the AK-240 really benefits from scaling up. He's forgotten more about audio, then I'll ever know.
post #2937 of 8541

I personally think you have to have very revealing headphones, for starters the UERM.  

post #2938 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedaite View Post

True, not cheap at all. I actually aimed this question at people with $400 - $600 IEMs/headphones.

 

The AK240 is around $2,500 so at least you should pair it with some TOTL phones if you're spending all that money on a player.

 



I don't necessarily have this problem, but IMO cost =/= TOTL, nor does it guarantee a great listening experience. I've heard thousand dollar+ headphones/IEMs that I don't really like for one reason or another, whereas some "cheap" gear is incredibly enjoyable. Even after hearing the Senn Orpheus, the Stax 009 and almost every other TOTL headphone under the sun, I still really enjoy my Senn HD 598s, and am very happy with how they sound out of the AK240.

SImilarly, my favorite IEM pairing with the AK240 as of now is the Noble FR at $700, despite having heard and currently owning many more expensive options.
post #2939 of 8541

I been using it with the Roxanne IEM,,UE18 and the  Oppo PM-1 and all are very synergistic. The Focal Classic sounds nice with  it also.

post #2940 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedaite View Post
 

Hello guys, I find it a bit curious that many people here and on similar forums online have the AK240, but have IEMs that are much less expensive than the player itself (sometimes up to 6x cheaper).

 

 

Am I missing something here?

 

$$$$$$$  If someone only has 3000 to spend, then they can only spend 3000.   You would be assuming that someone with 2500 to spend on a new DAP will also have an 1000 to spend on new IEMs.  Not always the case.

 

Similarly, the 240 would sound even better paired with a Hugo, but most people don't have one of those either.   People might be willing to spend 2500 on a DAP, but this does not necessarily mean that they unlimited funds.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Astell & Kern AK240