Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Astell & Kern AK240
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Astell & Kern AK240 - Page 175

post #2611 of 4435

Since the AK240 has Wifi, I was wondering :

 

-  Can I play Internet Radios over Wifi ?

 

Can I play iTUNE High-Res over Wifi ?

 

and since it has ANDROID inside:

 

- Can I install the Qobuz app on it to stream 16/44 quality music over Wifi ? 

 

thanks

post #2612 of 4435

A lot of us have had the usual suspects for our portable rig: an iPod and an amp (The Pico Slim in this case) and this setup was praised by many for a long time. Now that the AK240 stepped in, it seems that things have changed dramatically.

 

 

In that sense, can anyone put it in numbers from a scale of 1 to 10 (in words would be much better) how much of a difference is between the AK240 and the Pico Slim with a good LOD and of course the iPod?

post #2613 of 4435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedaite View Post
 

A lot of us have had the usual suspects for our portable rig: an iPod and an amp (The Pico Slim in this case) and this setup was praised by many for a long time. Now that the AK240 stepped in, it seems that things have changed dramatically.

 

 

In that sense, can anyone put it in numbers from a scale of 1 to 10 (in words would be much better) how much of a difference is between the AK240 and the Pico Slim with a good LOD and of course the iPod?

 

Hard to believe any portable one-piece stock amp will surpass a dedicated capable external amp for that matter, not mentioning the ability to throw in a drive of 480GB or even 1TB.

post #2614 of 4435

The AK240 matches my Pico Power, which is better than the Pico Slim with IEMs by a tiny margin (it has a lower noise floor). I need to borrow an RX3B or Duet to be sure, but so far it looks as if the internal amp, especially in balanced mode, makes a portable amp redundant except if you wish to drive planers from a portable rig, where either of the mentioned balanced amps would do better. My loaner Audeze cans are with Shigzeo at the moment, so I can't check.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jedaite View Post
 

Can anyone tell me how long it takes for the AK240 to boot up if you have let's say 100 GB of music on it?

How about if it's almost full? I'm really curious about this and couldn't find such info anywhere.

 

 

Paradise

 

24 seconds from the initial button press (22 from the logo appearing) to boot. Another 15 seconds to scan ~100GB of files.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmichels View Post
 

Since the AK240 has Wifi, I was wondering :

 

-  Can I play Internet Radios over Wifi ?

 

Can I play iTUNE High-Res over Wifi ?

 

and since it has ANDROID inside:

 

- Can I install the Qobuz app on it to stream 16/44 quality music over Wifi ? 

 

thanks

 

You can't install apps on it like the DX100. The only streaming is from the MQS server which you have to install on your computer. That will even losslessly stream DSD though.

post #2615 of 4435
Quote:
Originally Posted by buruma View Post

I have made ak240 protector with 3d printer.
(abs plastic + kangaroo leather)




 

Great stuff.  

post #2616 of 4435
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbrent View Post
 

Hi everyone,

 

I've notice a problem on my AK240 that seems to be getting worse. Using the knob to adjust the volume control results in sporadic behavior: sometimes the control works in the opposite direction it is supposed to, sometimes it is sluggish moving in the proper direction, sometimes instead of .5dB steps it changes several dB at each slow turn—click— of the knob.

 

Is anyone else experiencing this issue on their unit? I have v1.09 installed.

 

Thanks for any help ...

Sorry to hear your problem with such a new acquisition. 

 

Mine has no problem (hopefully) so far but it does have play in/out and forth/after.  Hope it won't get detached in the long run.

post #2617 of 4435

For UK buyers:

 

http://www.soundfidelity.co.uk/ 

 

With every AK240 we sell, we are giving away a free AKS02 Docking Cradle, retailing at £199.00 - just add both items to your cart and the discount will be added automatically. 

 

 

Also if you register for their newsletter you would get another 5% off. That would make it £1900 for the AK240 including  AKS02.

 

Not bad.

post #2618 of 4435

I wanted to follow up on my issue with my AK240. I spoke with Jimmy at iriver in Irvine, CA, and we went over my difficulty with the external volume control. Jimmy suggested I do a factory reset which I did but to no avail. Jimmy then sent me an RMA form so I could ship my unit back for replacement. During this process, I found him to be helpful, understanding, and patient with all my questions.

 

Jimmy mentioned this was not the first time he's seen a problem with volume controls in that there had been similar cases with the AK100 and AK120. I was the first to bring to light this issue with a 240, so it is an anomaly, not an early production problem.

 

A big shout out to Ted at teds headfood for helping me through this situation. My only anguish is I will be without my highly addictive 240 for about a week and that I will have a couple weeks of burn-in to get back to the magical space the 240 puts one in.

post #2619 of 4435
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbrent View Post

I wanted to follow up on my issue with my AK240. I spoke with Jimmy at iriver in Irvine, CA, and we went over my difficulty with the external volume control. Jimmy suggested I do a factory reset which I did but to no avail. Jimmy then sent me an RMA form so I could ship my unit back for replacement. During this process, I found him to be helpful, understanding, and patient with all my questions.

Jimmy mentioned this was not the first time he's seen a problem with volume controls in that there had been similar cases with the AK100 and AK120. I was the first to bring to light this issue with a 240, so it is an anomaly, not an early production problem.

A big shout out to Ted at teds headfood for helping me through this situation. My only anguish is I will be without my highly addictive 240 for about a week and that I will have a couple weeks of burn-in to get back to the magical space the 240 puts one in.
I'm glad there taking care of the issue for you. Too bad about your burn in.
post #2620 of 4435
Quote:
Originally Posted by kh600rr View Post


I'm glad there taking care of the issue for you. Too bad about your burn in.

 

Thanks, kh, that's the price one pays sometimes. At least this time I know what I will be getting in the box whereas before it was a mystery.

post #2621 of 4435
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbrent View Post
 

I wanted to follow up on my issue with my AK240. I spoke with Jimmy at iriver in Irvine, CA, and we went over my difficulty with the external volume control. Jimmy suggested I do a factory reset which I did but to no avail. Jimmy then sent me an RMA form so I could ship my unit back for replacement. During this process, I found him to be helpful, understanding, and patient with all my questions.

 

Jimmy mentioned this was not the first time he's seen a problem with volume controls in that there had been similar cases with the AK100 and AK120. I was the first to bring to light this issue with a 240, so it is an anomaly, not an early production problem.

 

A big shout out to Ted at teds headfood for helping me through this situation. My only anguish is I will be without my highly addictive 240 for about a week and that I will have a couple weeks of burn-in to get back to the magical space the 240 puts one in.

Well at least you will have a properly working super DAP in a week's time.  Congratulations.

post #2622 of 4435
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemarman View Post

For UK buyers:

http://www.soundfidelity.co.uk/ 

With every AK240 we sell, we are giving away a free AKS02 Docking Cradle, retailing at £199.00 - just add both items to your cart and the discount will be added automatically. 


Also if you register for their newsletter you would get another 5% off. That would make it £1900 for the AK240 including  AKS02.

Not bad.
not bad for a UK retailer, otherwise expensive!
post #2623 of 4435
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemarman View Post
 

For UK buyers:

 

http://www.soundfidelity.co.uk/ 

 

With every AK240 we sell, we are giving away a free AKS02 Docking Cradle, retailing at £199.00 - just add both items to your cart and the discount will be added automatically. 

 

 

Also if you register for their newsletter you would get another 5% off. That would make it £1900 for the AK240 including  AKS02.

 

Not bad.

 

Sorry mate, but I think it still comes in at £2089.05 if you apply a 5% discount to their package price 

post #2624 of 4435
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftyClown View Post

Sorry mate, but I think it still comes in at £2089.05 if you apply a 5% discount to their package price 
.

Still a saving of nearly £320 if you were intending to buy both at the same time.
post #2625 of 4435

I am very curious about this, since it happens on my Pico Slim and iPod combo.

 

 

When I plug in my ES5s, there is a clicking noise with some harsh static that lasts for like 0.1 seconds or so. There is also background noise.

 

 

Are these issues present in the AK240 as well?

 

 

If you've spent enough time with it already, what issues would you point out to someone interested in getting it (if any)?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Astell & Kern AK240