or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Astell & Kern AK240
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Astell & Kern AK240 - Page 18

post #256 of 8541
It has arrived!


http://s.ameblo.jp/e-earphone/entry-11745056028.html
post #257 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by stvc View Post
 

There is more info on AK240 thread. The shape are really odd.

 

I know. I understand that it's packing some serious hardware, but it's 2014. We have to think slimmer. 

post #258 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicHolyGhost View Post
 


I feel you. But judging the size (as seen from the picture), I have reservation whether HUGO is actually suitable for portable use.  you know, I really just cannot see myself carrying a TU-05 while walking.

I am not that fussy about looks, my main concern is just sound. I just hope the saving is worth it. My mind is set for HUGO and I hope that with camera kit I can pair it with the idevices. With thanks to onkyo and its DoP I think HUGO seems to a better option. 

 

I just cannot believe that chord will make a DAP that is reference level even compared to their current DAC which cost 18000 USD. 

 

For me whether it is Ak240 or HUGO it will be the last source purchase. If non of them pay off I think I am done with the search of finding a portable rig that can be used with all of my gears. At the end of this year I will be selling them all and will be keeping one source, one amp and one IEM. 

post #259 of 8541

Wow only $2,400.00... What a steal of a deal :P.

post #260 of 8541

Can someone explain if there is any sonic/quality difference between native DSD versus DSD to PCM conversion playback in real time for e.g. in WM8740 versus WM8741 assuming all else equal?


Edited by Bluebear - 1/7/14 at 12:40am
post #261 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by audionewbi View Post
 

I am not that fussy about looks, my main concern is just sound. I just hope the saving is worth it. My mind is set for HUGO and I hope that with camera kit I can pair it with the idevices. With thanks to onkyo and its DoP I think HUGO seems to a better option. 

 

I just cannot believe that chord will make a DAP that is reference level even compared to their current DAC which cost 18000 USD. 

 

For me whether it is Ak240 or HUGO it will be the last source purchase. If non of them pay off I think I am done with the search of finding a portable rig that can be used with all of my gears. At the end of this year I will be selling them all and will be keeping one source, one amp and one IEM. 

Newbi if this Chord is anything like the quality of their home system gear it will stomp any of the current DAPs including AK240 and Sony and HiFiman 901 into complete oblivion...This company makes incredible gear... and i suggest they know a fair bit more about pure audio quality than any of the other companies. This is based on opinion only since whilst i have owned Chord Gear i don't own any of the previously mentioned DAPs...


Edited by Sauntere - 1/7/14 at 12:48am
post #262 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauntere View Post
 

Newbi if this Chord is anything like the quality of their home system gear it will stomp any of the current DAPs including AK240 and Sony and HiFiman 901 into complete oblivion...This company makes incredible gear

That's a very big if though, they can't just squeeze it into a small box and stick a battery on it... 

What's the storage medium/capacity?

Battery life?

Interface?

Inputs and outputs?

 

plenty of room for slips...

post #263 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc-k View Post
 

That's a very big if though, they can't just squeeze it into a small box and stick a battery on it... 

What's the storage medium/capacity?

Battery life?

Interface?

Inputs and outputs?

 

plenty of room for slips...

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/693028/chord-hugo-to-go-portable-dsd-dac-amp

post #264 of 8541

I have faith in them... they know what they are doing...in terms of absolute sound quality..

post #265 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauntere View Post
 

Newbi if this Chord is anything like the quality of their home system gear it will stomp any of the current DAPs including AK240 and Sony and HiFiman 901 into complete oblivion...This company makes incredible gear... and i suggest they know a fair bit more about pure audio quality than any of the other companies. This is based on opinion only since whilst i have owned Chord Gear i don't own any of the previously mentioned DAPs...

Thanks for that, I stopped myself from ordering the ZX-1 4 times. This makes spending such amount of cash much easier. 

post #266 of 8541

sorry I misunderstood, I thought it was a stand alone DAP based on the DAC/AMP, my mistake

 

not sure how it's a competitor for the AK240 if you need a player...

post #267 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc-k View Post
 

sorry I misunderstood, I thought it was a stand alone DAP based on the DAC/AMP, my mistake

 

not sure how it's a competitor for the AK240 if you need a player..

 

looking forward to giving it a run with my ZX1 soon hopefully.

post #268 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc-k View Post
 

sorry I misunderstood, I thought it was a stand alone DAP based on the DAC/AMP, my mistake

 

not sure how it's a competitor for the AK240 if you need a player...

At that price point people want reference level performance. Chances of finding someone crazy enough to want a reference level quality just for an hour train ride is very low. All of us who buy such crazy insane priced DAP are in hope of finding an all in one unit that we love to use even when we are home. So naturally with the current sizes of all high end DAPS and how they are sized HUGO should fit right in if it pulls of a perfect DAC/amp. 

post #269 of 8541

This model makes me feel good not buying "the best". 

post #270 of 8541
AK240 looks damn ugly, price is ugly too, perhaps AK120 regular or moded will be a better deal and competition is getting up, looking for Calyx M and DX90.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Astell & Kern AK240