or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Astell & Kern AK240
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Astell & Kern AK240 - Page 134

post #1996 of 8541

I went to a site that had a number of different companies like Acoustical Sounds, who I used to buy from for SACDs, and some DSD recordings are 40 dollars. To me, that is just too much money. $30 is about my limit and more what I was expecting. 

post #1997 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrondaniel View Post


Check out this site: http://store.acousticsounds.com/c/372/DSD_Download

Unfortunately they don't accept order from regions outside North America.
post #1998 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmedium View Post

Just saw on another thread Moon Audio has it for sale but its way more, $3200!

Is this the official price from A&K US does anyone know? If so I am not even bother going to listen to it. At $2400 I would have but $3200 is just too much for me to justify on a portable player. Luckily I am very happy with my 120 combined with my TU-05.

Thinking on it some of the European sellers were saying it was going to be around the $3200 mark once exchange rates were taken into account from UK and Europe.


The official price in the US would be $2500. Got this info from TTVJ.
post #1999 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by my-2000 View Post


Did you try with regular or balanced cable? When the SQ gets to this level, I'm really not sure how much more amazing the firmware can make it into. I'm more curious what surprise balanced output will bring me. *eagerly waits for balanced cable for IE800


Hi-would appreciate any news of balanced cable for IE800.

post #2000 of 8541

I can't believe it:L3000:!!!

23.30 ish and I was casually looking at the Amazon UK site (as one does before bed) - they are stocking the AK240 and had 1 left. I hesitated for about 10 minutes, (to have a think and to lie to my Misses about the price). It was gone. Aghhhhhh!.

Then I got up at 03.30 the next day/night . I was drawn. It was there again and I pressed the button. Yippee. It all feels good. It feels really good. When will the guilt set in?

ps. luckily, I have the money so no credit card - that's my excuse at the moment.

Might be run over by a bus. That's an other excuse.

What happens if I'm run over by a bus after I get my AK240? Will it create an 'aura' around me?

As you can tell, I'm brain numbingly happy.

Will report back impressions in a more 'business like' manner.

post #2001 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by sutjahjo View Post

Thanks deafanddumb, I guess a 6.3mm output will take up too much space for its small size.
Was thinking of squeezing one in, like the zx1 squeezed in an over built 3.5 ;-)
post #2002 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelstiltskin View Post

I can't believe it:L3000: !!!
23.30 ish and I was casually looking at the Amazon UK site (as one does before bed) - they are stocking the AK240 and had 1 left. I hesitated for about 10 minutes, (to have a think and to lie to my Misses about the price). It was gone. Aghhhhhh!.
Then I got up at 03.30 the next day/night . I was drawn. It was there again and I pressed the button. Yippee. It all feels good. It feels really good. When will the guilt set in?
ps. luckily, I have the money so no credit card - that's my excuse at the moment.
Might be run over by a bus. That's an other excuse.
What happens if I'm run over by a bus after I get my AK240? Will it create an 'aura' around me?
As you can tell, I'm brain numbingly happy.
Will report back impressions in a more 'business like' manner.
You mad man! ;-)
post #2003 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemarman View Post


The official price in the US would be $2500. Got this info from TTVJ.

 

Nothing like exclusivity to help bump up the price by $700. When other retailers start selling it I doubt Moon Audio will be able to keep their prices inflated.

post #2004 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafanddumb View Post

You mad man! ;-)

Congratulations, no need to feel guilty, you only live once! :-)
post #2005 of 8541

Do you think I would need the Astell & Kern AK240 if Im loading wav files and using the new chord Hugo as a dac.

post #2006 of 8541
Personally, I think most(with rare exception) files (including 16/44.1) will sound better with the AK240.

And I suspect you may no longer need your external DAC once you go for AK240 (but try it out first).

If you are not sure, audition it first before buying.
post #2007 of 8541
Surprise, surprise. Match it with predator today. Lost some of the warmth and smoothness but in a different way, is very good.

There are now two different sound signatures to appreciate.
post #2008 of 8541
Tried my AK240 with various amps this morning.
Just Audio AHA 120,
JDS C5,
EHP 02.

All using the line out.
In most cases way too much gain.

Definately better without external amp with my FAD FI BA SS, Shure 846 and just so with my Grado PS1000 and Sennheiser HD800.

Always preferred external amp with AK120
post #2009 of 8541
Updated firmware OTA today to v 1.07, can't feel or see the changes so far.
post #2010 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheznous View Post

Tried my AK240 with various amps this morning.
Just Audio AHA 120,
JDS C5,
EHP 02.

All using the line out.
In most cases way too much gain.

Definately better without external amp with my FAD FI BA SS, Shure 846 and just so with my Grado PS1000 and Sennheiser HD800.

Always preferred external amp with AK120
in a way, I also feel that you don't really need an external amp with AK240.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Astell & Kern AK240