or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Astell & Kern AK240
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Astell & Kern AK240 - Page 133

post #1981 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatalethal View Post
 

 

yeap precsiely.

 

when listening with a typical 16bit tracks. the sonic and audio quality did not differ much... in fact i find the AK120 to perform better in terms of instrument separation. however when the AK240 starts playing 24bit, it definitely made me raise my eyebrow. but to consider between ak120 and ak240... the price might not justify the amount of "upgrade".

 

but when i started with dsd... its a whole new world. then i went back to AK120 for "DSD" playback. and the AK240 still outperforms. everything became transparent, wide, spacious, and had height and depth.

 

 

 

 

Sid, just give it a go. DSD is definitely thumbs up.

 

And i have yet to try the stream function. I may need to load the demo :D

That actually makes perfect sense when comparing. The 120 converts DSD to PCM on the fly and the 240 does DSD natively. If you compare with native DSD files, the 240 should show that advantage on top of being a bit better anyway.

 

There is no way that DSD should be preferred to PCM on a 120 unless it's just a flavor thing. DSD does tend to have a smoother type of character that can emphasize harmonics over fundamentals. Informative and friendly but not as contrasting IMO as proper HiDef PCM. It's just nice to have all these quality options.:smile:

post #1982 of 8541

 

You can certainly hear a difference with redbook.Yes agree DSD is stunning on this but everything is more relaxed and instruments are clearer on 16/44.1 than on AK120.

post #1983 of 8541

I saw this on this  Corean site.  It is when you connect to the Corean download site groovers. Here the UI is quite pleasing :-)

 

post #1984 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodvibes View Post
 

That actually makes perfect sense when comparing. The 120 converts DSD to PCM on the fly and the 240 does DSD natively. If you compare with native DSD files, the 240 should show that advantage on top of being a bit better anyway.

 

There is no way that DSD should be preferred to PCM on a 120 unless it's just a flavor thing. DSD does tend to have a smoother type of character that can emphasize harmonics over fundamentals. Informative and friendly but not as contrasting IMO as proper HiDef PCM. It's just nice to have all these quality options.:smile:

 

I guess the upcoming Calyx M with its ESS 9018 K2M DAC would be interesting to offer a better native DSD playback comparison against AK240. In fact, Calyx M can play up to 32 bit/384 kHz DXD format while AK240 caps at DSD 128. Depending on their respectively DACs and op-amp implementation, we will find out which of the 2 results in having a better SQ overall. But of course, there is a huge gap in their prices.

post #1985 of 8541
First day so early impressions but good so far.
Big difference to me over the AK120 is I preferred the AK120 with an external amp. The AK240 doesn't need an external amp.
Currently listening to Bob Marley - Legends HD Tracks with Final Audio Design FI BA SS and sounds so sweet. So much body to the tracks over the AK120.
Will try with my Shure 846 tomorrow.
post #1986 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by sutjahjo View Post

I tried it for a short while with FAD Pandora Hope VI before I leave for work and I must say I am floored.

I thought you can't improve the sound quality of AK120 much but I was so wrong in some ways.

The sound is obviously clearer, smoother and more transparent. And I would say the biggest plus to me personally is the apparent increase in transparency.

Is it twice as good as AK120? probably not! But in the age where we look for the smallest improvement, the AK240 is an incredible DAP.

Attached are some photographs I shot.






































Super jealous....hope it's built to last and is absent of bugs. I also wish it had a 6.3mm headphone output :-(
post #1987 of 8541

wow, if DSD is really as magical as you guys reported, I think Calyx M is the bargain of 2014...

post #1988 of 8541
Just saw on another thread Moon Audio has it for sale but its way more, $3200!

Is this the official price from A&K US does anyone know? If so I am not even bother going to listen to it. At $2400 I would have but $3200 is just too much for me to justify on a portable player. Luckily I am very happy with my 120 combined with my TU-05.

Thinking on it some of the European sellers were saying it was going to be around the $3200 mark once exchange rates were taken into account from UK and Europe.
post #1989 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafanddumb View Post

Super jealous....hope it's built to last and is absent of bugs. I also wish it had a 6.3mm headphone output :-(

Thanks deafanddumb, I guess a 6.3mm output will take up too much space for its small size.
post #1990 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilW View Post




You can certainly hear a difference with redbook.Yes agree DSD is stunning on this but everything is more relaxed and instruments are clearer on 16/44.1 than on AK120.

These few days of trying the limited equipments I possess have turn out rather weird comparisons I have yet to fully comprehend.

Overall, there is no doubt AK240 sounds better but there are quirks.

I normally only listen to 24bit tracks with my AK120 but for comparison sake I decided to put in a bunch of them in both the AK240 and AK120. What I noticed is well recorded tracks and live tracks sound better from AK240. There is an air of raw energy with the live recordings.

Even with the 24bit tracks, I actually found some tracks (particularly old tracks I extracted from Gary Moore and Bruce Springsteen box set DVD Audio) less appealing in AK240.

With equipments, it is even stranger, I find AK240 and AK120 sounds different but can't pin point which is better with westone 4 and shure 525.

With amps, Hornets and tomahawk actually degraded the sound of AK240 slightly while KOJO KM01 Tsugaru seems to be perfectly complementary. Making it even smoother.

While Ultrasone IQ sounds good with AK120, I actually find it a very poor match with AK240.

At the moment the best match with AK240 is the KOJO and FAD Pandora Hope VI and the same with FAD Heaven VI.
post #1991 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by sutjahjo View Post



I normally only listen to 24bit tracks with my AK120 but for comparison sake I decided to put in a bunch of them in both the AK240 and AK120. What I noticed is well recorded tracks and live tracks sound better from AK240. There is an air of raw energy with the live recordings.

In the above paragraph, I was referring to 16 bit 44.1 tracks ripped from CD.

Most still sound better in AK240.
post #1992 of 8541

What would be nice is if someone would start a thread for good sounding DSD music with links for DAPs. 

post #1993 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmedium View Post

Just saw on another thread Moon Audio has it for sale but its way more, $3200!

Is this the official price from A&K US does anyone know? If so I am not even bother going to listen to it. At $2400 I would have but $3200 is just too much for me to justify on a portable player. Luckily I am very happy with my 120 combined with my TU-05.

Thinking on it some of the European sellers were saying it was going to be around the $3200 mark once exchange rates were taken into account from UK and Europe.

 

From my talk with the people at ALO, they were under the impression that it would be around 2500.  In addition, I don't think the AK240 is officially out in the US.   Moon audio might be selling them at that price right now because they are actually importing them from a country where it is currently available.   In any case, I hope that the 3200 price is not the official US price because I would also be out at that price.  I was thinking of buying it at 2500 but i would find it hard to justify paying over 3K.  My suspicion though is that the AK is coming out last in North America because many buyers outside the US would find it cheaper to import them from the US than buying from retailers in their own country.  I hope that is the explanation for the 3200 price tag - and not that it is the official price.  Fingers crossed.

post #1994 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamato8 View Post

What would be nice is if someone would start a thread for good sounding DSD music with links for DAPs. 

The availability for DSD downloads are still quite restricted. I really like the two Holly Cole albums I downloaded so far from www.highresaudio.com
post #1995 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamato8 View Post
 

What would be nice is if someone would start a thread for good sounding DSD music with links for DAPs. 


Check out this site: http://store.acousticsounds.com/c/372/DSD_Download

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Astell & Kern AK240