Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Astell & Kern AK240
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Astell & Kern AK240 - Page 117

post #1741 of 5782
Quote:
Originally Posted by gikigill View Post

So how am I supposed to plug in full size cans. The engineers probably forgot to add a proper amp for driving demanding cans and if a $2500 DAP can't power full size cans decently, I am not sure who's dumb here, the engineer or the DAP buyer or maybe both.

A proper "amp" to drive an HD800 in a 1 piece DAP has yet to invented. Your mileage will vary with other full size cans. The problem here I believe is package size....
post #1742 of 5782
Quote:
Originally Posted by OK-Guy View Post

errr this is Head-Fi... Dumb & Dumber are real people.

It was a joke. The popular RWAK120 B mod was wildly popular at $2k. I remember reading someone did a comparison of the amp on the AK to other DAPs and it had the most powerful amp. Maybe one of you guys remember where the post was. Plenty of pics from the intro of people playing their full sized cans through it, one guy even had the HD800.
post #1743 of 5782
Shush, I wish I hadn't seen Jude's AK240 UI review. frown.gif
post #1744 of 5782
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDiesel View Post

It was a joke. The popular RWAK120 B mod was wildly popular at $2k. I remember reading someone did a comparison of the amp on the AK to other DAPs and it had the most powerful amp. Maybe one of you guys remember where the post was. Plenty of pics from the intro of people playing their full sized cans through it, one guy even had the HD800.

I'm not sure what do you mean. The modded AK has no more amp and it needs a separate external amp to run it. Of course it will have the most powerful amp depending on what external amp you are using.
post #1745 of 5782

Based on what Jude said during his video that he has been driving his LCD-XC and it sound great. To me that is good enough. 

I am IEM user when I am out and about , I probably won't be using it at home anyway as I can chose between a much better desktop rig or my top tier speaker system anyway.

post #1746 of 5782
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicheaven View Post

Shush, I wish I hadn't seen Jude's AK240 UI review. frown.gif

The antidote :  this Calyx's UI video.  The M's UI  put the AK240 at  a shame !

 

 

* 

post #1747 of 5782
I personally think the Calyx M's UI look a lot more professional.
post #1748 of 5782

we will got all that in the upcoming AK480...lol:L3000:

post #1749 of 5782

It has a better playlist mgmt system, but beyond that, the video doesn't really show what else it can do.

post #1750 of 5782
Frankly, Calyx M seems to lag in that video, while not so much lag on AK240 in Jude's vid.
post #1751 of 5782

think I'll keep quiet about the ZX1's UI.

post #1752 of 5782
Quote:
Originally Posted by z3r0day View Post

Frankly, Calyx M seems to lag in that video, while not so much lag on AK240 in Jude's vid.

 

At its price, it seems the Calyx M is shaping up to be an impressive player. However, while I haven't watched the video(s), I did use the Calyx M prototype they were showing at CES 2014. At CES, its user interface, while nice, was not nearly as responsive as the AK240. I also found navigation on the AK240 to be more intuitive. At the time, I don't believe the Calyx M had search either. (Of course, this may all change for production.)

post #1753 of 5782
Quote:
Originally Posted by jude View Post
 

 

At its price, it seems the Calyx M is shaping up to be an impressive player. However, while I haven't watched the video(s), I did use the Calyx M prototype they were showing at CES 2014. At CES, its user interface, while nice, was not nearly as responsive as the AK240. I also found navigation on the AK240 to be more intuitive. At the time, I don't believe the Calyx M had search either. (Of course, this may all change for production.)

 

Based on the video, i'm inclined to agree. The M response to touch has a bit of lag compared to 240 which seems more fluid.

Jude, since you have heard both the M and 240... pleeaassee give us some comparative impressions!! :)

post #1754 of 5782
If money is not a problem someone can get Calyx M and add a 512 GB sdxc made by Lexar that is coming out this month at 1500$ USD if I am not wrong.
That will be a awasome music player.
post #1755 of 5782
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicday View Post

If money is not a problem someone can get Calyx M and add a 512 GB sdxc made by Lexar that is coming out this month at 1500$ USD if I am not wrong.
That will be a awasome music player.

 

Plus a MicroSD --> SD adapter & a 2nd 512 Gb card = 1088 Gb  and.... 4000$  :eek:

 


Edited by bmichels - 2/8/14 at 3:05am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Astell & Kern AK240