Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Astell & Kern AK240
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Astell & Kern AK240 - Page 114

post #1696 of 5499
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmichels View Post
 

Well, then there are playlists:

 

1 - Manage of dynamic playlists,  decide "play next", "play last"... like Calyx. 

2 - Being able to change order of the songs inside a playlist by just draging/sliding a song within the list (of the playlist).  Again... like Calyx. 

 

And ...take advantage of the gorgeous & Bigger  OLED screen. Today It is wasted to just show tabs and menus.... like the AK100/120 !

 

And on the hardware side... again (sorry): having a real line-out that does not go through the Headphone amp, and therefor that cannot be colored by the headphone amp. Some sort of SS relay needed.


Being able to manipulate the playlist would be good - I can see that being useful. This sounds like something that could be added in a firmware update, too. I wouldn't worry about the album covers, though. How long do you look at an album cover? For me, I see it and go, "yup, there it is" and it's back in my pocket. I don't know about the hardware end of things - if it doesn't have a real line-out, I can see that bothering some folks for sure. What do you expect for $2500+? ;)

post #1697 of 5499

Expectations will be extremely high for such a price tag... waiting on a few accounts here...

 

1. If it tops the HM-901 as a benchmark soundwise

 

2. If it tops the AK120 balanced mod + RSA (or similar) soundwise.

 

3. If it tops the Hugo Chord + AK120.

 

If it fails in that regard then people will be spending $1400 (over the AK120 or HM901 as its considered closest counterparts) on a UI and a screen that shows nice greys.... am thinking the report will be that it sounds different but if that equates to better I'm not so sure.... for it to unquestionably pass without fail it would have to have pushed for new ground sonically as has the Hugo.

 

Aestetics don't count for much when it comes down to it.

 

On a side note... how does the footprint compare to the ALO MIII B+? Has ALO been sleeping with iRiver all this time? Get a feeling its a perfect fit.

 

Will research when time suits.


Edited by Goldlion973 - 2/7/14 at 6:19am
post #1698 of 5499
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDiesel View Post

That'd be neat but it wouldn't sway me one way or the other.

I am dissapointed about there being no true line out. They had to leave something for Vinnie to mod. What happens if you plug a 3.5 unbalanced into a 3.5 balanced? If Vinnie wanted to mod something he could turn the 3.5 into a true line out and expand the 2.5 into a 3.5 balanced if there is room.

I apologize for my complete lack of knowledge. Can I ask....what is the big benefit with the line out? It seems to be highly desired and complained about everywhere.

Thank!
post #1699 of 5499
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcichocki View Post


I apologize for my complete lack of knowledge. Can I ask....what is the big benefit with the line out? It seems to be highly desired and complained about everywhere.

Thank!

 

You want the cleanest signal possible to feed an external amplifier.

post #1700 of 5499
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublea71 View Post
 


Have you seen the Calyx UI in action? How much album art do you need besides the now playing screen? The playlist support looks fine to me, too. I'd say it's apples and oranges - the AK240 UI looks great in Jude's video. What specifically would you want besides seeing more cover art - like in the play list management? I guess I didn't notice anything lacking, but maybe there is something else it should be able to do. The eq curve that you can draw with your finger is certainly new and sick as hell...

 

This shows Calyx M's UI in action (although it's still a pre-production demo test set): 
 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by doublea71 View Post
 


Being able to manipulate the playlist would be good - I can see that being useful. This sounds like something that could be added in a firmware update, too. I wouldn't worry about the album covers, though. How long do you look at an album cover? For me, I see it and go, "yup, there it is" and it's back in my pocket. I don't know about the hardware end of things - if it doesn't have a real line-out, I can see that bothering some folks for sure. What do you expect for $2500+? ;)

 

 

We should be expecting real line-out and lots more features, e.g. like full-fledged streaming capability from NAS devices instead of being able to stream only from a PC with AK's proprietary software installed. This forces the user to have a PC that is always switched-on 24/7 and can only stream within a local network. If you go check out Calyx M's thread, there are already people "complaining" that Calyx M at $999 does not have real line-out like the AK series. And AK240 is selling at 2.5x the price of Calyx M and does not have a proper real line-out.


Edited by Bluebear - 2/7/14 at 6:58am
post #1701 of 5499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebear View Post
 

 

 

This shows Calyx M's UI in action: 

 

 

 

Calyx: Brillantissime  Graphical UI....   Please iRiver, with 2x the price of Calyx, at least do as good as Calyx for the UI :-)

 

`


Edited by bmichels - 2/7/14 at 7:08am
post #1702 of 5499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldlion973 View Post

Expectations will be extremely high for such a price tag... waiting on a few accounts here...

1. If it tops the HM-901 as a benchmark soundwise

2. If it tops the AK120 balanced mod + RSA (or similar) soundwise.

3. If it tops the Hugo Chord + AK120.

If it fails in that regard then people will be spending $1400 (over the AK120 or HM901 as its considered closest counterparts) on a UI and a screen that shows nice greys.... am thinking the report will be that it sounds different but if that equates to better I'm not so sure.... for it to unquestionably pass without fail it would have to have pushed for new ground sonically as has the Hugo.

Aestetics don't count for much when it comes down to it.

On a side note... how does the footprint compare to the ALO MIII B+? Has ALO been sleeping with iRiver all this time? Get a feeling its a perfect fit.

Will research when time suits.
y


The price tag is extremely high. Beyond ridiculous actually. You are asking comparisons questions that have set up costs that are higher than the AK240 alone. Do you have parts of these set ups already?

AK120 + Hugo = 3700

AK120 + amp (maybe 600 and up) = 1900 and up but the package becomes much larger

What if you don't have any starting pieces (such as myself), and my quality comparison is an iPhone 5. Where do your opinions point? I can't believe I'm asking this, but is there value in this single box?
post #1703 of 5499
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekingduck View Post

You want the cleanest signal possible to feed an external amplifier.


If you don't use an external amp, then the line out isn't an issue?
post #1704 of 5499
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcichocki View Post


If you don't use an external amp, then the line out isn't an issue?

correct.

post #1705 of 5499

 

 


Edited by Goldlion973 - 2/7/14 at 7:25am
post #1706 of 5499
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcichocki View Post


y


The price tag is extremely high. Beyond ridiculous actually. You are asking comparisons questions that have set up costs that are higher than the AK240 alone. Do you have parts of these set ups already?

AK120 + Hugo = 3700

AK120 + amp (maybe 600 and up) = 1900 and up but the package becomes much larger

What if you don't have any starting pieces (such as myself), and my quality comparison is an iPhone 5. Where do your opinions point? I can't believe I'm asking this, but is there value in this single box?

 

I have the AK120... given that you would have a source device and a seprate amp to go with means that its value is higher as it would have various functions for use with other gear.... diversity.... it would stand over the AK240 which will likely be paired with another amp combo regardless.The Hugo chord's diversity and SQ exceeds that of anything out on the market at the moment, question would be, if offered what would you take?

 

1. AK240

 

2. HM-901 + Balanced card

 

3. AK120 RW mod + RSA 71B

 

4. AK120 RW mod + Hugo Chord

 

If it dosen't stand sonically to any of the above then you're paying for a what is a brilliant UI but a UI all the same... not the type to turn my nose up at a 9 band EQ am just sayin' is all. 


Edited by Goldlion973 - 2/7/14 at 7:26am
post #1707 of 5499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldlion973 View Post
 

 

I have the AK120... given that you would have a source device and a seprate amp to go with means that its value is higher as it would have various functions for use with other gear.... diversity.... it would stand over the AK240 which will likely be paired with another amp combo regardless.The Hugo chord's diversity and SQ exceeds that of anything out on the market at the moment, question would be, if offered what would you take?

 

1. AK240

 

2. HM-901 + Balanced card

 

3. AK120 RW mod + RSA 71B

 

4. AK120 RW mod + Hugo Chord

 

If it dosen't stand sonically to any of the above then you're paying for a what is a brilliant UI but a UI all the same... not the type to turn my nose up at a 9 band EQ am just sayin' is all. 

X5 + Chord Hugo would be a good option too

post #1708 of 5499
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcichocki View Post


The price tag is extremely high. Beyond ridiculous actually. You are asking comparisons questions that have set up costs that are higher than the AK240 alone. Do you have parts of these set ups already?

AK120 + Hugo = 3700

AK120 + amp (maybe 600 and up) = 1900 and up but the package becomes much larger

What if you don't have any starting pieces (such as myself), and my quality comparison is an iPhone 5. Where do your opinions point? I can't believe I'm asking this, but is there value in this single box?

To me there is. I want something with a good UI, storage and a balanced out for my Noble K10's. I don't really need an extra amp because I don't have any full sized headphones to drive and don't plan on buying any for the next 4 years.

 

At first I was considering a Titan B-mod and a SR-71B, that's a $2800 setup. The HM901 has a balanced out but the storage and UI suffer. Anything added to the Hugo already brings it past the AK240 price point and it's more transportable rather than portable. I like the Calyx M but by the time I add on the the 256GB SD card and an amp for balanced out then I'm paying just under the AK240's price tag but I'm carrying around a big stack.

 

For me the 240 has the size, storage, UI, balanced out that I'm looking for now and the wifi streaming functionality is an added bonus that would extend the useful life of the player. I can see myself still using this player for the next 10 years which is enough for me to justify spending $2500 on it. But that's just my point of view, we are all looking for something different.

post #1709 of 5499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebear View Post
 

 

We should be expecting real line-out and lots more features, e.g. like full-fledged streaming capability from NAS devices instead of being able to stream only from a PC with AK's proprietary software installed. This forces the user to have a PC that is always switched-on 24/7 and can only stream within a local network. If you go check out Calyx M's thread, there are already people "complaining" that Calyx M at $999 does not have real line-out like the AK series. And AK240 is selling at 2.5x the price of Calyx M and does not have a proper real line-out.


The playlist options of the UI looks good, but what else can it do? How about its eq? I agree that the streaming ability isn't all that special since it has to be in a local network. As far as the line-out issue is concerned, it doesn't make any sense to skimp on that.

post #1710 of 5499
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublea71 View Post
 


As far as the line-out issue is concerned, it doesn't make any sense to skimp on that.

 see this feed back about line out:http://www.head-fi.org/t/687944/999-calyx-m-with-dxd-dsd-64gb-sd-sd-storage/795#post_10245615

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Astell & Kern AK240