Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Astell & Kern AK240
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Astell & Kern AK240 - Page 110

post #1636 of 4186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph86 View Post
 

Hi all,

 

ALO and Wagnus are due to release some Balanced cables for the AK240 shortly, please see below:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Can you give us some info on this particular cable? 

post #1637 of 4186
Quote:
Originally Posted by audionewbi View Post
 

Can you give us some info on this particular cable? 

I'll see what I can get for you.

post #1638 of 4186
Quote:
Originally Posted by audionewbi View Post
 

Can you give us some info on this particular cable? 

 

I was over at ALO the other day and they showed me a prototype for a mod for the IE800.   I think that is one in the picture.  They would replace the plug with a 4-pole and then insert that into a balanced cable to connect directly to the AK240.  He said that the IE800 sounds really amazing with the AK240 - especially with a balanced connection.


Edited by daseinpdx - 2/6/14 at 7:57am
post #1639 of 4186
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachchen1996 View Post
 


Have you ever thought of doing mods for other dap's?

 

No - but if there is enough interest in another particular player, I would be willing to look into it.  I guess this would be something to discuss in another thread or via PM.

 

 

Quote:
 AK240 is already not cheap, I can imagine modding that baby for sure pushes it to the 4 K region unless the moding community are willing to charge less.

 

 

I have no way of knowing until I dig into it.  I first want to become very familiar with the stock unit.  Then I want to explore if there is (any) room for improvement, and if there is, see how much

of an improvement is made.  But after mods it really needs to clearly beat out a modded 120, or else I wouldn't bother with it.   

 

 

I have to wonder if someone like Listrid will find a way to made the AK240 SW work on the AK120 (like he did with the AK120 SW with gapless working on the AK100).  Wishful thinking, I know.  But the modded AK120 with WM8741s could do native DSD if the SW supported it. 

 

We'll see....

 

Vinnie

post #1640 of 4186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie R. View Post
 

 

No - but if there is enough interest in another particular player, I would be willing to look into it.  I guess this would be something to discuss in another thread or via PM.

 

 

 

 

I have no way of knowing until I dig into it.  I first want to become very familiar with the stock unit.  Then I want to explore if there is (any) room for improvement, and if there is, see how much

of an improvement is made.  But after mods it really needs to clearly beat out a modded 120, or else I wouldn't bother with it.   

 

 

I have to wonder if someone like Listrid will find a way to made the AK240 SW work on the AK120 (like he did with the AK120 SW with gapless working on the AK100).  Wishful thinking, I know.  But the modded AK120 with WM8741s could do native DSD if the SW supported it. 

 

We'll see....

 

Vinnie

 

Did you manage to contact Listrid on working on a SW for your RWAK120-S mod? Really hoping for a RWAK120-S which supports HO and the volume knob 

post #1641 of 4186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levanter View Post
 

 

Did you manage to contact Listrid on working on a SW for your RWAK120-S mod? Really hoping for a RWAK120-S which supports HO and the volume knob 

 

Yes, but never received a response.  A few others have tried as well, but so far, no response.  :(

post #1642 of 4186
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisceriousZERO View Post

Unfortunately yes. Wait time is a few months too.

And as owner of #10 of the TU-05 and having owned it for just over a year now i can say every month is worth the wait! biggrin.gif If there is one component in my set up right now that I would never think of selling or changing it is the 05'.

It is not a bass heads amp (though Bass with the new transformers is meant to be increased). It is not ultra portable but if you spend a lot of time on the road, staying in hotel rooms then it is a godsend. From what i have read of the Hugo and 240 thus far it sounds just like what I get listening to my AK120 through this amp.

What you get with this amp is musical involvement. You get pace rhythm and timing in bucket full's. You get beautiful mid ranges and top ends that go on and on. You get very un-tube like transparency. This is one of the most transparent amps I have ever used and yet you still get all that tube creaminess and warmth. Many who have heard this amp compare it with amps costing a great deal more. I have actually called this (and yes I have heard them on a number of occasions so feel qualified in this statement) the Kondo Audio Note of portable or transportable headphone amps.

I actually think this amp is one of the biggest bargains in headfi today. If anyone is ever up in Vancouver and wants to hear it let me know. i am more than happy to meet up and let you listen. Also, the process of purchasing this is more akin to purchasing a pair of bespoke English shoes or a ultra high end Swiss watch. Pretty much anything can be accommodated by Shikada San. Want bigger inputs? Well, he will make the case bigger for you!

The level of finish and detail is extraordinary. Also the back up is second to none. Mine was in the first ten off the table and had a combined headphone on off switch which was not very good. He had already realized this a few months after my purchase and asked me to send my amp back to Japan at his cost so that he could up date it which he did all at no expense to me ( though I did pay for shipping as he is a one man band starting out and I know how tough it is in that situation )

Anyway, off topic sorry for that but on topic as far as synergy with AK products!

Oh and just to correct Bmichels on one point. Shikada San most certainly is not doing this as "a hobby" ! This is the way he makes his living. He has a purpose built immaculate workshop and dedicates all his working time to designing and building these amps and cases (yes, he is a true artisan, he even makes the leather cases!).
Edited by ianmedium - 2/6/14 at 8:17am
post #1643 of 4186
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmedium View Post


And as owner of #10 of the TU-05 and having owned it for just over a year now i can say every month is worth the wait! biggrin.gif If there is one component in my set up right now that I would never think of selling or changing it is the 05'.

It is not a bass heads amp (though Bass with the new transformers is meant to be increased). It is not ultra portable but if you spend a lot of time on the road, staying in hotel rooms then it is a godsend. From what i have read of the Hugo and 240 thus far it sounds just like what I get listening to my AK120 through this amp.

What you get with this amp is musical involvement. You get pace rhythm and timing in bucket full's. You get beautiful mid ranges and top ends that go on and on. You get very un-tube like transparency. This is one of the most transparent amps I have ever used and yet you still get all that tube creaminess and warmth. Many who have heard this amp compare it with amps costing a great deal more. I have actually called this (and yes I have heard them on a number of occasions so feel qualified in this statement) the Kondo Audio Note of portable or transportable headphone amps.

I actually think this amp is one of the biggest bargains in headfi today. If anyone is ever up in Vancouver and wants to hear it let me know. i am more than happy to meet up and let you listen. Also, the process of purchasing this is more akin to purchasing a pair of bespoke English shoes or a ultra high end Swiss watch. Pretty much anything can be accommodated by Shikada San. Want bigger inputs? Well, he will make the case bigger for you!

The level of finish and detail is extraordinary. Also the back up is second to none. Mine was in the first ten off the table and had a combined headphone on off switch which was not very good. He had already realized this a few months after my purchase and asked me to send my amp back to Japan at his cost so that he could up date it which he did all at no expense to me ( though I did pay for shipping as he is a one man band starting out and I know how tough it is in that situation )

Anyway, off topic sorry for that but on topic as far as synergy with AK products!

Oh and just to correct Bmichels on one point. Shikada San most certainly is not doing this as "a hobby" ! This is the way he makes his living. He has a purpose built immaculate workshop and dedicates all his working time to designing and building these amps and cases (yes, he is a true artisan, he even makes the leather cases!).

 

I can x2 Ian's comments here.

 

Would love to read any comparisons of the AK240 with the ZX1 and/or Hugo.

post #1644 of 4186
Quote:
Originally Posted by audionewbi View Post


you know this forum must be rebranded into "price no objection" tongue.gif

seriously moding ak240 sure will make its price stratospheric, so only true astronauts will be able to buy it biggrin.gif
post #1645 of 4186

My friends and I have been going over the AK240 and comparing it to the ZX1.... AK240 wins in the soundstage department, as my friend says, "it doesn't just have soundstage on the X but also on the Y" (which means it has horizontal and vertical soundstaging) and we used Noble K10, Noble 6, JH13, JH Roxanne, Sony EX1000, etc.

 

Other friend says if the ZX1 doesn't pair with the PHA2 he'd prefer the 240, but with the PHA2 pairing, he says its a close call.

post #1646 of 4186

NOTE:  If you can't see the embedded video above, please CLICK HERE to see the video.

 

 

We were so impressed with the AK240's user interface that we wanted to show you a quick look at its ease of use, speed, and responsiveness. In our experience, as far as high-res portable digital audio players go, the AK240's UI is the current state of the art.

 


 

Products mentioned in the video:
 

 


 

Astell&Kern AK240: Quick Peak At Its User Interface (UI) - Head-Fi TV produced by Joseph Cwik and Jude Mansilla

 

We will occasionally post Q&A episodes of Head-Fi TV.  If you want to submit any questions (or comments), you can do so via email to tv@head-fi.org.

post #1647 of 4186

Currently I've been enjoying the MQS Server Streaming from my MacBook Pro to my AK240... great for moving around the house until you lose wifi! xD

post #1648 of 4186
Between Jude's UI video and VZ, I think I here the sound of wallets opening smily_headphones1.gif
post #1649 of 4186
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisceriousZERO View Post
 

My friends and I have been going over the AK240 and comparing it to the ZX1.... AK240 wins in the soundstage department, as my friend says, "it doesn't just have soundstage on the X but also on the Y" (which means it has horizontal and vertical soundstaging) and we used Noble K10, Noble 6, JH13, JH Roxanne, Sony EX1000, etc.

 

Other friend says if the ZX1 doesn't pair with the PHA2 he'd prefer the 240, but with the PHA2 pairing, he says its a close call.

 

Yes, I can see the ZX1 loosing out in the depth of the soundstage given that it is one of its shortcoming.  How about everything else? 

post #1650 of 4186

The UI and functionality looks fab! I wasn't considering it but now that use and sound are both getting Kudos, I'm tempted.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Astell & Kern AK240