Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre, 1st page latest FW download & general information/instructions . . . . . . . . . .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre, 1st page latest FW download & general information/instructions . . . . .... - Page 288

post #4306 of 8243
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmatheis View Post



Yeah, I'm sure a cell phone will have the quality opamps and other hi-fi audio circuitry of something like a Fiio or iBasso DAP rolleyes.gif



Don't you have too any posts on Head-Fi to be ignorantly trolling like that?

 



Must be a slow day, don't be too harsh just ignore him. He does that from time to time.
post #4307 of 8243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvdac View Post

Hi All, I'm ready to pull the trigger on the dx90. I would just like to know if anyone has experience with the dx90 playing .dff or .dsf files. I understand it plays them by converting to pcm on the fly? Also does anyone know if the native dsd stream can be outputted to an external Dac? I'd like to run it through the AMI musik Ds5.



 



Thanks in advance!


 



I downsample all hires file I got to 16/44-48 before transferring it to DX90. As far as DSD files go, DX90 does not play them natively. DSD files are converted to PCM in real-time on playback. This will take a hit on battery life.

But I'm not sure about the coax out. It most likely convert them to PCM when sending the stream to an external DAC.
post #4308 of 8243
Also it only plays one of the formats, can't remember which one it is, at least the DX50 only did. If you only need it for coax use the DX50 will be a better buy as it is much cheaper
Edited by nc8000 - 4/28/14 at 8:20pm
post #4309 of 8243
Thread Starter 

The DSD files are converted by the DX90 to 24/88 cpm and output this on coax. I have used the dX90 with the Hugo and it works great. 

post #4310 of 8243
Quote:
Originally Posted by headwhacker View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvdac View Post
 

Hi All, I'm ready to pull the trigger on the dx90. I would just like to know if anyone has experience with the dx90 playing .dff or .dsf files. I understand it plays them by converting to pcm on the fly? Also does anyone know if the native dsd stream can be outputted to an external Dac? I'd like to run it through the AMI musik Ds5.

 

 

 

Thanks in advance!

 



I downsample all hires file I got to 16/44-48 before transferring it to DX90. As far as DSD files go, DX90 does not play them natively. DSD files are converted to PCM in real-time on playback. This will take a hit on battery life.

But I'm not sure about the coax out. It most likely convert them to PCM when sending the stream to an external DAC.

Thanks. For me, I don't want to downsample, that kinda defeats the purpose of a hi res player IMO. It would be interesting to know for sure whether the dx90 sends the dsd stream to an external DAC as a bit stream, DoP (Dsd over PCM) or DSD converted to PCM. Maybe someone or joebloggs can give a satisfactory answer and lay the mystery to rest?

post #4311 of 8243
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamato8 View Post
 

The DSD files are converted by the DX90 to 24/88 cpm and output this on coax. I have used the dX90 with the Hugo and it works great. 

If that is so, I might wait for a player that outputs true Dsd. I have a lot of ripped sacd's into dsf files, and in my comparison thru the AMI Dac, dsf wins hands down. thanks for your input Jamato.

post #4312 of 8243
Quote:
Originally Posted by ag8908 View Post
 


If I could possibly save you and others in this thread some money, please be aware that mobile phones will all have the ESS 9018mk2 mobile DAC (which is a downgraded version of the real ESS9018 dac), see e.g. http://www.gizchina.com/2013/12/26/tcl-idol-x-full-specifications-photos-32000-point-antutu/

 

So if you just wait like, maybe, six months, The dx90 will be more or less obsolete.

 

*runs out of thread*

:deadhorse:

 

I'm curious which mobile phones will have it in the future.  I would like it on one of the big brands like Apple or Samsung or HTC


Edited by SilverEars - 4/28/14 at 9:12pm
post #4313 of 8243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvdac View Post
 

If that is so, I might wait for a player that outputs true Dsd. I have a lot of ripped sacd's into dsf files, and in my comparison thru the AMI Dac, dsf wins hands down. thanks for your input Jamato.

To clarify, I meant dsf wins over pcm. Tried it with the sacd rip converted to pcm 176 and 88 using weiss saracon

post #4314 of 8243
Thread Starter 

All depends upon the DSD or rip. I have DSD to the Hugo via my MacBook Pro and some is good and some pcm is better than some dsd. Seems there is a lot of room for both. 

post #4315 of 8243
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmatheis View Post


Yeah, I'm sure a cell phone will have the quality opamps and other hi-fi audio circuitry of something like a Fiio or iBasso DAP rolleyes.gif

Don't you have too any posts on Head-Fi to be ignorantly trolling like that?

 

Alright, I'll try to play more nicely :p

post #4316 of 8243
Quote:
Originally Posted by ag8908 View Post


If I could possibly save you and others in this thread some money, please be aware that mobile phones will all have the ESS 9018mk2 mobile DAC (which is a downgraded version of the real ESS9018 dac), see e.g. http://www.gizchina.com/2013/12/26/tcl-idol-x-full-specifications-photos-32000-point-antutu/

So if you just wait like, maybe, six months, The dx90 will be more or less obsolete.

*runs out of thread*

Suggesting that all-in-ones with inferior DAC and amp implementations (albeit built around the same DAC chip) meant primarily for power savings and "fun" sound are better than dedicated, well-implemented players from a well-established brand with a distinctly neutral and considerate tuning profile?



Kojaku
post #4317 of 8243

Just got bitten by the last 2 seconds bug.  FLAC file stopped playing with 2 seconds to go, and I had to manually restart playback.

post #4318 of 8243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kojaku View Post


Suggesting that all-in-ones with inferior DAC and amp implementations (albeit built around the same DAC chip) meant primarily for power savings and "fun" sound are better than dedicated, well-implemented players from a well-established brand with a distinctly neutral and considerate tuning profile?



Kojaku

Yes, the dual 9018 desktop DACs on the hifiman is not enough for us.  We need moor DACs in the DAPs.  Moor DACs is moor quality.  16 channel DAC implentation?  Psssh..  I'm waiting for the quad 9018 with 32 DAC channels since moor channels means moor quality.  :D  Just joking, nothing serious.


Edited by SilverEars - 4/28/14 at 11:22pm
post #4319 of 8243
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEars View Post

Yes, the dual 9018 desktop DACs on the hifiman is not enough for us.  We need moor DACs in the DAPs.  Moor is moor quality.  16 channel DAC implentation?  Psssh..  I'm waiting for the quad 9018 with 32 DAC channels since moor channels means moor quality.  

I really wasn't talking about channel count...but ok. I hope this isn't an odd play on Shakespeare. That's some antiquated racial nomenclature you're bringing up there. In any case. I was hoping that the point I was trying to make would come across, despite my jest. It obviously didn't.

I was meaning to say that the considerations made in consumer (read: "non-audiophile") products, from both an engineering and end-game goal perspective, are fundamentally different. If you're the kind of person who wants a more neutral tuning, limited distortion, high S/N ratios, etc., as many people on headfi and specifically in this thread do, then the DX90 is your slice of pie. If you are more aligned with the goals of consumer products not directed at pure performance in the audio realm, then perhaps the single ES9018 mk2 implementations of the future will be more to your liking. There is appeal to both, but if I went on to an HTC One (m9) thread on android authority and dropped a dump on the DAC implementation for having too much THD or something, I wouldn't exactly expect a warm reception. Different strokes for different folks.

Kojaku
post #4320 of 8243
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauriciolguin View Post
 

I just get my DX90. Does anyone have problems with the touch screen? My unit seems to be death in inferior left corner and it is quite difficult to select the options that appear in that zone, such as “my music” or the “ok” option. It’s getting annoying.

 

Remove the clear sticker and make sure your finger aren't too dry.


Edited by goodvibes - 4/29/14 at 12:11am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre, 1st page latest FW download & general information/instructions . . . . . . . . . .