Originally Posted by nc8000
Well to be fair, at no point has iBasso officially announced usb dac functionality and it is not mentioned on their web site. Only mentioning is in emails to individuals asking.
Very true but that's such a staple item on modern daps nowadays that it should have not been even asked but just provided in their specs. What they should be doing, like Fiio, be somewhat more transparent and come forward to discuss what they are expecting to release or upgrade. It always has to be indirectly done that we get information, as if there is a lack of commitment or a fear we are going to hang them to their words. Well we will. I think it makes you more credible if you just come forward, that also commands respect.
Originally Posted by SilverEars
The thing that is bothersome to me is that, you cannot say if something has a certain feature unless it already does. How do they know the drivers will make it functional? Did they ever have a prototype working as a standalone USB source?
If you say drivers to get it work, how do they know they only need the drivers for it to work? I'm uneasy about this.
I'm assuming they are working on the drivers and not sure if that feature would work.
Also, I'm curious how the LO works.
They finally answered my questions, here is their plan:
(1) Working on the Windows USB DAC drivers, which they mentioned earlier however they've added that they will release the 32-bit version initially in about 10 days. The 64-bit version will require an additional step; to get the Microsoft digital signature.
(Starting with 64-bit versions of Windows Vista and later versions of Windows, driver code signing policy requires that all driver code have a digital signature). So that's good news, it's not an inability to implement the driver but one of compliance.
(2) Mac OS compatibility: They are not familiar with the MAC OS interface requirements, so they are not sure if they can develop the interface for it. That means right now it's in their plate to investigate. I would be very surprised if they can come up with an answer within few weeks, not to mention a workable update. If they'll implement like other vendors, it would most likely be as a firmware change versus a driver. All of the the ones I tried so far had no special driver requirements for the Mac OS and were working off the player USB connection.
According to others' implementations, I am expecting to see the following behaviors:
- Driver installation on Windows (most likely an msi file)
- To work in all resolutions offered from their specs
- Will be switchable from their Settings/USB Settings menu, when USB DAC is selected then it will act as a USB DAC else storage.
Let's watch its progress.
Edited by musicheaven - 4/20/14 at 12:24pm