Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › JH Audio Sirens Series Roxanne Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

JH Audio Sirens Series Roxanne Impressions Thread - Page 34

post #496 of 587
Perhaps I should clarify, I only eq on stage, not when listening. I would be very, very surprised if when Jerry is engineering bands he didn't tweak the eq to each individuals taste. My demands out of an IEM for live use is very different to just listening to music.
post #497 of 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by robm321 View Post
 

Yeah, I think the JH13 was his home run. The Roxanne's don't appear to be any better than other offerings such as Nobles. Having rolled off highs on a top IEM is really a shame, especially when others seem to have extended treble. JHA is no longer the top dog. That and their abysmal customer service should make their future a lot more mediocre on the consumer side. 

 

JH13 was very nice when I demoed it, I do not know how it would pan out if I bought a custom set... Was really on the fence about what to get until the last day of CanJam and then decided to roll the dice.  For me it has turned out very well (notwithstanding the cable issues).

 

I personally like the treble the way it is on my Roxannes, I am one of those that found the Grado Sr325is very bright and needing a mod and/or the right chain (amp/DAC/source or rather Source/DAC/Amp) to be listenable, but by the same token I have never had issues with the HD800's (I know weird isn't it),  if that makes sense and gives you a frame of reference for where I am coming from. So having, as you say, rolled off highs is fine by me.  I also demoed the Noble K10 (universals) and they are nice but not as nice as my Roxanne's, apples (customs) and oranges (universals) comparison I know, but the Noble did not WOW me like the Roxanne demos did when I first heard them.

post #498 of 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebear View Post
 

Why do people spend over $1,500 on a TOTL IEM and then have to resort to EQing? It seems like something is definitely wrong. Either the IEM doesn't match your taste or it is badly tuned. IMO the last thing you would want to do to your IEM is to EQ it because EQing has a negative impact on its sonic quality. Some people might disagree and use EQ often with their DAPs. But I am not even talking about boosting or reducing certain parts of the frequency spectrum here. What I mean is the entire SQ change the moment you switched on the EQ function even if it is set at flat neutral without adjustment yet. In other words, routing the audio signal through the EQ circuitry by enabling it on your DAP immediately changes the sound even if you do not/have not adjust the EQ band at all. I noticed this on all FiiO, iBasso and AK DAPs. The sound immediately weakens and becomes softer and more veiled the moment EQ function is switched on even with a 0 adjustment to the EQ band.

 

 

EQ is not bad if the headphone can handle it. Actually TOTL headphone should not sound bad with EQ. It's just like tuning the headphone to the FR response you want. Look at UERM.

 

The problem is the EQ device itself is very limited. Just because your experience turning on EQ with portable device is bad, EQ iin genral must be bad? That is a false conclusion. Especially when you only tried it on a few portables and certain music. You just have to be aware the EQ in portable devices are very limited. I agree at least on iBasso DX50 and DX90 it's worthless. But try EQ with Rockbox on DX50. You have more control even though still limited will yield a better result.

 

A certain sort of EQ has certainly been done in mixing which depends on  the taste and preferences of the sound engineer doing the mix.

post #499 of 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebear View Post
 

Why do people spend over $1,500 on a TOTL IEM and then have to resort to EQing? It seems like something is definitely wrong. Either the IEM doesn't match your taste or it is badly tuned. IMO the last thing you would want to do to your IEM is to EQ it because EQing has a negative impact on its sonic quality. Some people might disagree and use EQ often with their DAPs. But I am not even talking about boosting or reducing certain parts of the frequency spectrum here. What I mean is the entire SQ change the moment you switched on the EQ function even if it is set at flat neutral without adjustment yet. In other words, routing the audio signal through the EQ circuitry by enabling it on your DAP immediately changes the sound even if you do not/have not adjust the EQ band at all. I noticed this on all FiiO, iBasso and AK DAPs. The sound immediately weakens and becomes softer and more veiled the moment EQ function is switched on even with a 0 adjustment to the EQ band.


Because honestly, what I'm looking for doesn't exist.

post #500 of 587
Roxanne has so much effect on me. I find the lcd x to be lacking on the mids because of Roxanne even though they are tuned differently im still looking for the mids of Roxanne. Jh13 is really a top notch product, yesterday I did AB them vs the Mentors and imho i think they're just at the same level for me with 13fp being more fun and engaging for me, i think I just prefer Jh signature and I'd still pick 13 over Mentors.
Edited by soullinker20 - 5/29/14 at 8:37pm
post #501 of 587

I got my Roxanne cable from Moon Audio with new plug. After AB it with stock cable, this new plug makes Roxanne sound better, soundstage is wider, more transparent, better highs. I can't wait for the custom cable to be offered for sale.

post #502 of 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladzakhar View Post

I got my Roxanne cable from Moon Audio with new plug. After AB it with stock cable, this new plug makes Roxanne sound better, soundstage is wider, more transparent, better highs. I can't wait for the custom cable to be offered for sale.
Picture? The plug making different instead of cable you mean?
post #503 of 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebear View Post
 

Why do people spend over $1,500 on a TOTL IEM and then have to resort to EQing? It seems like something is definitely wrong. Either the IEM doesn't match your taste or it is badly tuned. IMO the last thing you would want to do to your IEM is to EQ it because EQing has a negative impact on its sonic quality. Some people might disagree and use EQ often with their DAPs. But I am not even talking about boosting or reducing certain parts of the frequency spectrum here. What I mean is the entire SQ change the moment you switched on the EQ function even if it is set at flat neutral without adjustment yet. In other words, routing the audio signal through the EQ circuitry by enabling it on your DAP immediately changes the sound even if you do not/have not adjust the EQ band at all. I noticed this on all FiiO, iBasso and AK DAPs. The sound immediately weakens and becomes softer and more veiled the moment EQ function is switched on even with a 0 adjustment to the EQ band.

I think most TOTL iem's I've tried were fine; noting that they vary somewhat but all have good presentations. I think it's people who have acquired tastes and coloration preferences who feel the need to EQ.

post #504 of 587
Hey guys. Is there anyone here that has had the JH13 FP or ER4S and can compare either to the Roxannes for me?

I'm after a CIEM equivalent of the ER4S and have been recommended the JH13 and the UERM but was wondering whether the Roxanne would fit the bill if set to its lowest bass level.
post #505 of 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebear View Post
 

Why do people spend over $1,500 on a TOTL IEM and then have to resort to EQing? It seems like something is definitely wrong. Either the IEM doesn't match your taste or it is badly tuned. IMO the last thing you would want to do to your IEM is to EQ it because EQing has a negative impact on its sonic quality. Some people might disagree and use EQ often with their DAPs. But I am not even talking about boosting or reducing certain parts of the frequency spectrum here. What I mean is the entire SQ change the moment you switched on the EQ function even if it is set at flat neutral without adjustment yet. In other words, routing the audio signal through the EQ circuitry by enabling it on your DAP immediately changes the sound even if you do not/have not adjust the EQ band at all. I noticed this on all FiiO, iBasso and AK DAPs. The sound immediately weakens and becomes softer and more veiled the moment EQ function is switched on even with a 0 adjustment to the EQ band.

I've read a post by somebody that made sense why you would EQ an expensive CIEM.  Treble extension.  A good leveled and extended treble extension is rare in BA based CIEMs.  So with a phone with good treble capability, you can tune it down with EQ if it needs tuning down.  If the phone does not have such treble ability, you are out of luck, you cannot EQ what is not there.

post #506 of 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbztract View Post

Hey guys. Is there anyone here that has had the JH13 FP or ER4S and can compare either to the Roxanne's for me?

I'm after a CIEM equivalent of the ER4S and have been recommended the JH13 and the UERM but was wondering whether the Roxanne would fit the bill if set to its lowest bass level.

 

The Roxanne's sound nothing like the ER4S. They are darker sounding and aren't very neutral. Surprisingly, the ER4S holds its own against the Roxanne's and provides better treble and detail. I've been listening to them a lot since my Roxanne's are at JHA. Not bad for a $300 universal with one driver. The JH13s are closer, but I would recommend the UERM. They sound very neutral like the Etys. 

post #507 of 587

I have been using Ortofon tips on my Roxanne UF for a while since it's my favorite large opening tip. Today, just for fun, I tried some size LL Sony Hybrids. It took a little stretchng, but they sound better than the Ortofon tips and are more comfortable. The problem with them is that they only came on a few TOTL Sony models (like the EX1000). I was eventually able to buy them from Sony Parts, but it took a while. Now I use then for the left ear (right ear canal is a little smaller) of all of my Sony IEMs and for the new ATH-IMxx series.

post #508 of 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbztract View Post

Hey guys. Is there anyone here that has had the JH13 FP or ER4S and can compare either to the Roxannes for me?

I'm after a CIEM equivalent of the ER4S and have been recommended the JH13 and the UERM but was wondering whether the Roxanne would fit the bill if set to its lowest bass level.
Do not know the Etys, but my NT6 are maybe close...
post #509 of 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by robm321 View Post
 

 

The Roxanne's sound nothing like the ER4S. They are darker sounding and aren't very neutral. Surprisingly, the ER4S holds its own against the Roxanne's and provides better treble and detail. I've been listening to them a lot since my Roxanne's are at JHA. Not bad for a $300 universal with one driver. The JH13s are closer, but I would recommend the UERM. They sound very neutral like the Etys. 

 

I paid $100 and have custom sensaphonics silicone molds for my er4. Much better than the stock tips and so comfortable

post #510 of 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by skootb View Post
 

 

I paid $100 and have custom sensaphonics silicone molds for my er4. Much better than the stock tips and so comfortable

Likewise. And I also use custom molds on my 4Rs. They make a difference.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › JH Audio Sirens Series Roxanne Impressions Thread