Somewhat early impressions, coming from a TG!334. This is my 4th day using these with about 20 hours of headtime and another 4-5 hours on this burnin tool - http://www.jlabaudio.com/index/burn-in
Also to note, this is mostly with a Concero HP (2.2 output impedance) and rMBP headphone out, which I think might even be higher. A friend at work is using my E17 so I'll give that a shot later this week.
- Great resolution, full spectrum represented well.
- Fairly neutral. With bass controls lowered toward the bottom of the range perhaps just a slight warm tilt
- Timbre seems spot on.
- Perhaps the smoothest ear/heaphone experience I've ever had. Nothing has caught me out at all, totally non-fatiguing. I can crank the volume to what must be dangerous levels and feel okay.
- Low bass is quite present and even, even on the lowest settings. Has speaker-like authority and rumble.
- Jury's still out on the upper treble response. Not sure if I hear it, but every once in awhile during quiter passages I am rather surprised at what these things can do... you do have moments where you feel you're listening to headphones.
- Somewhat veiled to my ears. Sort of a percussive snap that's not quite there with bass string plucks, the kick drum, how guitars crunch, etc - but not in a way that seems to obscure detail, just an overall software to the sound. Again, this is relative to my 334. Playing around with the eq in itunes a bit, 2 dBs down @ 250 and 1+ @ 2k, 2+ @ 4k, 1+ @ 8k seem to do wonders. Very small tweaks. I've tried larger adjustments but things get wonky fast. Then again I'm a prett rank amateur when it comes to harnessing the power of eq. So this might be in the realm of different perception, anatomy, etc - or maybe just output impedance.
- People have said in the past that the bass control doesn't interfere with the rest of the spectrum, but IMO it does actually reign in this veiled character. I find myself going back and forth between 9am, 11am, and 1pm, and keep coming back to 9am at least in quieter environments. Bass ramps up fast beyond 1pm and while it lends amazing body to some things, it doesn't take long before I find something that's just too mushy where I turn it down again.
- The bass control is pretty cool, but it is a bit clunky hanging so close to the jack. Also I was hoping I could do micro-adjustments with a thumbnail, no dice.
I pretty much agree with all your points. I've been experimenting between 8, 11, and 12 as well.. hopefully will find a sweet spot and then get a fixed cable. Have fun!!