Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Adjustable gain headphone amplifier for $75-150
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Adjustable gain headphone amplifier for $75-150

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 

I am looking for a headphone amplifier to use instead of my TEAC UD-H01 DAC's built in one. I feel like the DAC's degrading the sound on my Beyerdynamic COPs since it is fixed gain and these really need a lower gain setting. But I also have a DT 990 600 Ohm so I need a high gain setting as well. I don't really want to break the bank with this. I was looking at the Asgard 2 but it seems expensive and has humming issues. Their customer support is also annoying. 

 

Must-haves:

Gain switch

No wall wart (uses standard power cable instead)

 

Want (can compromise):

Metal construction

Solid state

Clean design

Power switch on front (not back)

1/4 inch input (don't want to have to adapt)

 

This is primarily going to be for the COPs through the RCA out of my DAC. But I would also expect it to work with my DT 990s. I'd really appreciate any ideas or suggestions.

post #2 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy205100 View Post
 

I am looking for a headphone amplifier to use instead of my TEAC UD-H01 DAC's built in one. I feel like the DAC's degrading the sound on my Beyerdynamic COPs since it is fixed gain and these really need a lower gain setting. But I also have a DT 990 600 Ohm so I need a high gain setting as well. I don't really want to break the bank with this. I was looking at the Asgard 2 but it seems expensive and has humming issues. Their customer support is also annoying. 

 

Must-haves:

Gain switch

No wall wart (uses standard power cable instead)

 

Want (can compromise):

Metal construction

Solid state

Clean design

Power switch on front (not back)

1/4 inch input (don't want to have to adapt)

 

This is primarily going to be for the COPs through the RCA out of my DAC. But I would also expect it to work with my DT 990s. I'd really appreciate any ideas or suggestions.

Sell off the Teac UD-H01 and buy a Audio-GD NFB-15.32, DAC/Amp, $255+shipping.

post #3 of 10
Thread Starter 

I like the TEAC. I'd rather just get a separate amplifier. I also tried a Topping (another Chinese brand) product before the TEAC and it was a nightmare. So I'd like to stay away from that if possible.

post #4 of 10
Thread Starter 

Bump?

post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy205100 View Post
 

Bump?


the A2 i had had no noise issue,the one i had was great,  i believe that was an earlier problem, that has been corrected

post #6 of 10
Thread Starter 

How will it work with lower impedance headphones like the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pros? Thanks for the reply.

post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy205100 View Post
 

How will it work with lower impedance headphones like the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pros? Thanks for the reply.


it worked fine with my grado rs1i's , they are lower impedance,

post #8 of 10
Thread Starter 

Is it a good value for $250? It's a bit past my budget.

post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy205100 View Post
 

Is it a good value for $250? It's a bit past my budget.


well, IMO, yes, its a great value

another option, would be the fiio e09k, but you said no walwart

it is great, around $110 or so, it was my first stand alone headphone amp

post #10 of 10
Thread Starter 

Thanks for the help and suggestions. I still have several months before I am going to get the amp (the one on my DAC is good enough for now) so I'll wait and see if anything new comes out.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Adjustable gain headphone amplifier for $75-150