Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Steelseries Flux In-ear hard to adjust correctly into ear.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Steelseries Flux In-ear hard to adjust correctly into ear.

post #1 of 23
Thread Starter 

Hey, everyone.

 

I recently purchased Steelseries Flux In-ear headphones, and I have one big problem. These are my 3rd isolating, in-ear headphones, usually had some difficulties plugging them in my ears, mostly because they were falling out, but with these one's it's quite different.

 

There are 3 ways they can sound when I put them in.

1. - They sound muffled and quiet, medium bass.

2. - they sound loud and clear, but there is minimal bass.

3. - they sound perfect, I am able to hear everything perfectly.

And also I can put them in not so deep, but then they sound weak and can easily fall out.

 

Is there a tactic for putting in in-ear headphones so that you don't have to mess around for 20 seconds to get them sound right?

I would be happy to hear any advice you guys and girls have, as I am pretty helpless with this myself, it can't be that hard to put earphones in.

 

Judging from the design and loudness, they are meant to be closer to your eardrum, that way they offer you more range, frequency variation and better precision with the rather small drivers.

post #2 of 23

You can open your jaw while you are inserting the earphone. That makes it easier to get a comfortable fit and select the right tips to get the full sound of them.

post #3 of 23

Heh, I can relate to Yukicore's frustration a bit. There aren't any Comply tips that fit the non-pro Flux's (as far as I've tried/can tell), and the VSonic foamies I bought from eBay change the sound. I found the Sony Hybrid tips help the earphones stay in my ears a bit better, but it's not a huge improvement.

 

To be honest, I've been considering purchasing silicone sleeves to help get a good seal/fit for these. I know it'd be a bit crazy to spend $100 on a $50 earphone, but the sound signature of the Flux's really are close to what my preference has become over time.

 

Anyway, update me if you have a different idea. Subscribed. :p

post #4 of 23

Did you try to wear them over your ears? Maybe they can stay more secure in your ears in that way.


Edited by ozkan - 1/2/14 at 10:37am
post #5 of 23

Here's ljokerl's review of them from his (and AverageJoe's) blog: http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone_review/steelseries-flux-in-ear/ I believe he can describe (and compare) it better than I could. (I've found the comments he made in this review to be pretty true.)

 

As for over-the-ear wear...well, I prefer not to wear IEMs that way for one thing, but more importantly the cable is flat and rubbery in a way that I find makes over-the-ear wear difficult. Moreover, the inline microphone gets in the way.


Edited by drm870 - 12/31/13 at 1:18pm
post #6 of 23
Thread Starter 

Ah, although it's good to hear that I'm not the only one with this issue, it doesn't make this issue get any better.

 

I can only share the way I found to be the fastest and best to put in the In-ear flux earphones. I put them really deep in my ear and then pull them out a little bit and release, repeat until they sound right. Also another way I found was to put them slowly in until they sound at their best, then when you release, they should fall in place and you should hear the bass perfectly.

 

It might be possible to fix this with different sleeves, but there is no guarantee for that, I think, because I have to put these earphones deeper than any other earphones I have had, for them to sound at their best.

 

And I can't get over it that no one else in reviews has said anything about this. I have a nasty perfectionist trait, so I have to figure everything out, and make everything perfect, so are my ears somehow different or maybe they just didn't notice it, because usually the highs are just as good, however you put the headphones in, the bass is what suffers from wrong placement.

post #7 of 23
The only reviewer that I've seen mention insertion depth for IEMs is Rin Choi. That's how I confirmed that there indeed is some science as to why certain earphones sound different depending on how deeply one inserts them. And yes, I wish other reviewers would cover this aspect.
post #8 of 23
Thread Starter 

I, for one was almost certain that the in-ear type of earphones will have such issues, before I bought my first one's.

 

But I wouldn't go back to standard earphones, they just don't deliver the same experience, they don't isolate background noise, don't deliver such rich bass, and can be easily heard by anyone next to you. It's like you take a part of your audio experience away to annoy someone who is sitting next to you.

post #9 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by drm870 View Post

Heh, I can relate to Yukicore's frustration a bit. There aren't any Comply tips that fit the non-pro Flux's (as far as I've tried/can tell), and the VSonic foamies I bought from eBay change the sound. I found the Sony Hybrid tips help the earphones stay in my ears a bit better, but it's not a huge improvement.

To be honest, I've been considering purchasing silicone sleeves to help get a good seal/fit for these. I know it'd be a bit crazy to spend $100 on a $50 earphone, but the sound signature of the Flux's really are close to what my preference has become over time.

Anyway, update me if you have a different idea. Subscribed. tongue.gif
Hey, I'm still dealing with this issue, I found myself listening to music on the go a lot less than before I bought these headphones. Which is good in a way, but I also often choose not to listen because of the complications rather than my will...

Did you find good sleeves to go with these earphones? I'd be very happy if you shared that information with me.
post #10 of 23

I ultimately had the 1964Ears custom silicone sleeves made for them. They work nice, but unfortunately 1964Ears no longer offers them. In any case, |joker| heard recommendations from others that Klipsch's oval gel tips work well. I ultimately tried them myself out of curiosity, and they sound similar to the custom tips while being universal. The Klipsch tips also grip my ears better than most other universal tips I've tried (though this is YMMV territory). So those are what I'd recommend.

 

Be advised that both my 1964Ears custom tips and the Klipsch tips seem to bump up the bass slightly from what I remember the stock tips and Sony Hybrid tips sounding like. (For me, though, that was a positive!)

post #11 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by drm870 View Post

I ultimately had the 1964Ears custom silicone sleeves made for them. They work nice, but unfortunately 1964Ears no longer offers them. In any case, |joker| heard recommendations from others that Klipsch's oval gel tips work well. I ultimately tried them myself out of curiosity, and they sound similar to the custom tips while being universal. The Klipsch tips also grip my ears better than most other universal tips I've tried (though this is YMMV territory). So those are what I'd recommend.

Be advised that both my 1964Ears custom tips and the Klipsch tips seem to bump up the bass slightly from what I remember the stock tips and Sony Hybrid tips sounding like. (For me, though, that was a positive!)

Thank You. It's better for me that they have more bass, if anything I can turn it down, but still will be able to hear it, unlike with stock sleeves... But only if it is so. Did the new sleeves improve the positioning and staying in place factors? Do you still have to keep pushing them in and out all the time, to get them sounding right?
post #12 of 23

Ok, looks like you are being enlightened on importance of tips and the fit on IEMs.  I agree with Rin, insertion depth is really important.  I've found that shallow insertion adds more sound stage.  When I had the TG334, I tried many different types of tips and it made a huge difference.

 

This is what I found out.  Get a silicone tips of bigger size than easy insertion size with lots of friction to make it stay in place, and they will seal well. The seal will create a much better bass response.  

 

Also when it comes to insertion, try to insert shallow as possible before it seals, and stays in place(high friction silicone material tips recommended, original skullcandy FMJ if your bore size is the same).  So don't push it in deep.

 

Here is our discussions regarding tips and my discoveries over time about TG334 IEMs.  You have to keep reading as my impressions keeps changing.

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/597146/fitear-to-go-334-suyamas-custom-iem-made-universal/3315

 

Also to reduce microphonics, or vibrational sound through the cables, wear them with cable hooked over your ear, not dangling.


Edited by SilverEars - 4/20/14 at 12:08pm
post #13 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukicore View Post

Did the new sleeves improve the positioning and staying in place factors? Do you still have to keep pushing them in and out all the time, to get them sounding right?

 

The 1964Ears ones were custom molded, so they fit my canal perfectly (I didn't need a refit), albeit a bit tightly for my taste. You also twist them to get them in and out, as you would a CIEM.

 

The Klipsch tips, as I said above, are some of the best I've experienced at staying in and sealing, regardless of brand. I believe this is due to their fairly unique oval shape. (Other earphones, such as the Panasonic Ergo-Fit series, achieve a similar effect, but do so by making the nozzle oval. In Klipsch's case, they made the tips themselves oval.) They are shorter/smaller than the Flux's stock tips and the Sony Hybrids, but this wasn't a problem for me. The Flux''s nozzle is a little larger than they were designed to fit, but you can stretch them on and it'll work fine. :smile: 

 

Keep in mind, again, that this was my experience with them. They may or may not work for you. That said, I think -- price, availability, and performance considered -- that the Klipsch tips are your best bet.

post #14 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEars View Post
 

Ok, looks like you are being enlightened on importance of tips and the fit on IEMs.  I agree with Rin, insertion depth is really important.  I've found that shallow insertion adds more sound stage.  When I had the TG334, I tried many different types of tips and it made a huge difference.

 

This is what I found out.  Get a silicone tips of bigger size than easy insertion size with lots of friction to make it stay in place, and they will seal well. The seal will create a much better bass response.  

 

Also when it comes to insertion, try to insert shallow as possible before it seals, and stays in place(high friction silicone material tips recommended, original skullcandy FMJ if your bore size is the same).  So don't push it in deep.

 

Here is our discussions regarding tips and my discoveries over time about TG334 IEMs.  You have to keep reading as my impressions keeps changing.

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/597146/fitear-to-go-334-suyamas-custom-iem-made-universal/3315

 

Also to reduce microphonics, or vibrational sound through the cables, wear them with cable hooked over your ear, not dangling.

 

Interesting, cause I always found larger ear tips to be quite worse than normal fit. First of all, them being larger than the ear-hole, they keep squeezing out of the position. And then while you do get a bit more bass with the tighter seal, they lose some on the other end, if we're talking balance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drm870 View Post
 

 

The 1964Ears ones were custom molded, so they fit my canal perfectly (I didn't need a refit), albeit a bit tightly for my taste. You also twist them to get them in and out, as you would a CIEM.

 

The Klipsch tips, as I said above, are some of the best I've experienced at staying in and sealing, regardless of brand. I believe this is due to their fairly unique oval shape. (Other earphones, such as the Panasonic Ergo-Fit series, achieve a similar effect, but do so by making the nozzle oval. In Klipsch's case, they made the tips themselves oval.) They are shorter/smaller than the Flux's stock tips and the Sony Hybrids, but this wasn't a problem for me. The Flux''s nozzle is a little larger than they were designed to fit, but you can stretch them on and it'll work fine. :smile: 

 

Keep in mind, again, that this was my experience with them. They may or may not work for you. That said, I think -- price, availability, and performance considered -- that the Klipsch tips are your best bet.

 

My only option where I can get them is on Ebay, I guess. Because Amazon's international shipping is too expensive and I've got these options.

 

I found fake one's, do you reckon there will be a noticeable difference? I bet the Klipsch themselves get them made in China. The other seem like they are original Klipsch.

Although, I am not sure about the size. I use medium stock sleeves on the Flux'es, but they seem a little bit too small sometimes, when I have my ear canal strained. But the large stock sleeves are too big. Which size should I get?

 

FAKE : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10pcs-Earbud-ear-buds-Eartips-tips-for-Klipsch-S2-S2M-S3-S4-S4i-S5-S5i-earphones-/181362014541?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item2a3a04b94d

 

Original? : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Klipsch-Medium-In-Ear-Headphone-Replacement-Oval-Ear-Tips-4-Pairs-1008370-/111241129331?pt=US_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item19e67ced73


Edited by Yukicore - 4/20/14 at 3:13pm
post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukicore View Post
 

 

Interesting, cause I always found larger ear tips to be quite worse than normal fit. First of all, them being larger than the ear-hole, they keep squeezing out of the position. And then while you do get a bit more bass with the tighter seal, they lose some on the other end, if we're talking balance.

Yes, you are quite right, and you don't want to have it squeeze inside your ear when forced in.  Sonically, it sounds worse than shallow insertion without the squeeze.  So when I insert the tip that is larger I only insert it to the point where it makes a seal so that it does not sqeeze and alter the sound.  It worked quite well with TG334 and FMJ high friction silicone tips.  Also pay attention to not covering up the bore or preferably large bore canal radius of the tips is recommend by me.  Tips with thinner bore radius than the driver bore radius will alter the sound, creating more thin sound and distortion to my ears.


Edited by SilverEars - 4/20/14 at 7:49pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Steelseries Flux In-ear hard to adjust correctly into ear.