or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › TOPPING NX1 Portable Headphone Amplifier Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

TOPPING NX1 Portable Headphone Amplifier Impressions Thread - Page 11

post #151 of 1988
Lol I never really bothered to look at the specifications.. Just thought they were cheap enough to try and they sounded good. Better than the e11 and BH lol
Edited by DMax99 - 6/14/14 at 5:24am
post #152 of 1988
I think how it sounds is more important than what parts that are used by that's just me wink.gif
post #153 of 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter123 View Post

I think how it sounds is more important than what parts that are used by that's just me wink.gif

Well that´s my opinion to.. A lot of mumbo jumbo snake oil is going on in this business. :)

post #154 of 1988
Thread Starter 

For $40.00 this little thing actually sounds really good. There's a saying: "don't knock it til you try it"  The build quality is great, form factor, run times. It's a nifty little amp I must say.

I've been running NX1 from Aune T1 line out this afternoon (Golden Lion tube on the DAC end) with SHR440, SHR940, ATH-M50. it gives the Aune T1 amp section a decent run.  The soundstage is actually wider on NX1 and separation rather clean, I also find the little amp has a certain timbre that comes out with vocals, really enjoyable sound.

I feel NX1 definitely leans towards brighter sides of the spectrum however along with that is a good wack of detail and a very 'clear' presentation. I was speaking to someone on Instagram their impressions very much mirror mine and DMax. Well detailed very 'clear/clean'. I sure as hell don't remember an E5, E6 or E11 sounding like this little thing...

There's x5 members touring an NX1 which starts this week (thanks to DMax). They'll be sheading further light on the subject as I believe judgment lies in hands on experience from a number of users. One of those members owns C&C BH and FiiO E11 so they'll give their opinion. I'm pretty sure I know what they're going to think. 


Edited by H20Fidelity - 6/15/14 at 12:51am
post #155 of 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post

I have Tralucent T1 here and JDS C421, T1 being more than x5 times the price and C421 being at least triple, regardless of that I'm really impressed with the sound coming out of this little thing. Like Dmax said the bass is punchy while the mids stay clean and detailed, especially vocals are crisp and have good extension.


From what I remember it leaves amps like FiiO E6 far behind immediately punching up with E11, C&C BH. For my preferences with H-300 its a better pairing than Tralucent T1, though let's not get carried away just yet. It's just better synergy for H-300 because it seems to put the top heavy treble in line and allow higher volume before the rather cold H-300 leans out.


I'll compare to the other amps down the road but this little thing can get up and go with my pure silver interconnect, DX50 and H-300. It's almost like Topping stole a few ideas from C&C namely the foot-print size of BH but at the same time making NX1 thinner. I don't like the power switch position because if you're using a right angle jack like I am with H-300 it gets in the way switching the amp on/off. Straight jacks would be no problem.


I think DMax said he does prefer NX1 to C&C BH and can totally understand how that's possible. I was driving some full-size SHR440 on low gain no problems, switching back and forth between  DX50 headphone out and NX1 from line out I think I preffeer the more detailed NX1's forward mid-range.


Another thing is even with H-300 I turn the amp up to about half the volume pot, it's rather relaxed until you lift the volume considerably I tend to listen to H-300 at about 50% 60%, but I'll get a better estimate on that when laying down late at night. When you get to about the last 25% (about 3/4) then it really throws on the power out. (This is in low gain)


I'm really enjoying it and coming from amps like Tralucent T1 that's quite a task and think anyone should be good to go.



 


Damn Pete! We'll need to send out a search party!
Great impressions pairing with H300! Btw the link provided in the first post from eBay Australia indicates that the price is AUD100+?

*Edit: Just saw the correct link at USD34.
Edited by xaddictionx - 6/15/14 at 2:05am
post #156 of 1988
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by xaddictionx View Post


Great impressions pairing with H300! Btw the link provided in the first post from eBay Australia indicates that the price is AUD100+?

*Edit: Just saw the correct link at USD34.



That seller was originally selling for $36.00 then put his price up by $100. :rolleyes: Do not buy from him. We're now sourcing NX1 from Deal Xtreme for around $40.00 shipped free.

I actually changed the link this afternoon but you beat me to it. (it's fixed now) Mine took 1 week, 2 days to arrive (from Deal Xtreme)
 

post #157 of 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post
 



That seller was originally selling for $36.00 then put his price up by $100. :rolleyes: Do not buy from him. We're now sourcing NX1 from Deal Xtreme for around $40.00 shipped free.

I actually changed the link this afternoon but you beat me to it. (it's fixed now) Mine took 1 week, 2 days to arrive (from Deal Xtreme)
 

 

That's the guy that put it up for auction starting from $10 and I was the only bidder and just as the auction was coming to a close he cancelled it. I was fuming! I could've got it for $20. Then he put it up as a "Buy it Now" item for $75. Don't buy from him. He's a scumbag!

post #158 of 1988
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJScope View Post
 

 

That's the guy that put it up for auction starting from $10 and I was the only bidder and just as the auction was coming to a close he cancelled it. I was fuming! I could've got it for $20. Then he put it up as a "Buy it Now" item for $75. Don't buy from him. He's a scumbag!



He did that to me too! Closed the auction! I placed a bid and he canceled it at about 13 hours left.

The eBay policy is you can't close an auction once it drops under 12 hours and tool_nerd did exactly that to me!

post #159 of 1988
I bought mine from dx. Its interesting that the tracking info on 17track.net shows that the shipping origin is Switzerland and the carrier is Swiss Post. It should be here next week (I hope). Do dx.com has an office in Europe? I thougt that they ship from China before...
Edited by Baycode - 6/15/14 at 2:59am
post #160 of 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post



That seller was originally selling for $36.00 then put his price up by $100. rolleyes.gif  Do not buy from him. We're now sourcing NX1 from Deal Xtreme for around $40.00 shipped free.


I actually changed the link this afternoon but you beat me to it. (it's fixed now) Mine took 1 week, 2 days to arrive (from Deal Xtreme)

 
Roger that! Deal extreme seems to be way better. With free shipping too! Totally worth the purchase. Thanks for the updates! smily_headphones1.gif
post #161 of 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by polyrhythm View Post
 

Couldn't help but notice this thread, how good can this $40 headphone amp be? Well I checked out the photos for the Topping NX-1 board and it seems a bit fishy. The specs claim it uses a TI opa1611. The 1611 has 8 pins yes? So why does the chip on the board have 16 pins? It can't be a TI 1611. Anyone?

 

 

would it be more likely something like a TI614? don't know much about this stuff:-)

 

 

 

It is most definitely not a TI OPA1611, as that is a SOIC8 chip and the one in NX1 is more like a SOIC16. Plus, they can't use OPA1611 anyway, since it is a single channel. Saying it is an OPA1612 (the dual channel version of OPA1611) will make more sense (though OPA1612 is still SOIC8).

 

Anyway, I think along the way someone just made up the spec and everyone else just copied them without questioning. The actual spec of NX1 was never published, as far as I know. I can't even find it on Topping official site.

 

Anyway. it looks to me like a Maxim chip.

post #162 of 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post
 

 

It is most definitely not a TI OPA1611, as that is a SOIC8 chip and the one in NX1 is more like a SOIC16. Plus, they can't use OPA1611 anyway, since it is a single channel. Saying it is an OPA1612 (the dual channel version of OPA1611) will make more sense (though OPA1612 is still SOIC8).

 

Anyway, I think along the way someone just made up the spec and everyone else just copied them without questioning. The actual spec of NX1 was never published, as far as I know. I can't even find it on Topping official site.

 

Anyway. it looks to me like a Maxim chip.

 

Yeah, definitely looks like the specs have been made up! (as on most sellers pages). If it is a maxim chip, would it be something like this solde at mouser?

 

http://uk.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Maxim-Integrated/MAX13331GEE-V+/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMuyaNrx2BHM4iCP5Bi2hfBPrtsMbgWwJIc%3d

 

Anyway, I do agree with others comments stating that it is 'how it sounds' that is most important.

 

I read somewhere someone was successfully driving 300ohm full size headphones with NX1, thoughts?

 

 

 Maximum output power 100mW (RL=32Ω, THD+N=1%)
 Maximum output voltage swing 8.2Vpp

Here is the official product page:

 

http://www.tpdz.net/en/products.htm


Edited by polyrhythm - 6/15/14 at 4:40am
post #163 of 1988

Ok guys, just to clarify.

 

I've been in contact with Topping through email and they have confirmed that it is indeed their new product. However they have not added it to their website yet. 

I've sent them another query about what is the actual opamp that is used in the NX1. You guys bring up a great point which needs to be clarified. Hopefully we'll get some answered very soon.

 

In the end this does not compromise how we see the amp, or how the amp really sounds. But it wouldn't hurt to know what is really powering this little beast.

post #164 of 1988
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by polyrhythm View Post
 

 

Yeah, definitely looks like the specs have been made up! (as on most sellers pages). If it is a maxim chip, would it be something like this solde at mouser?

 

http://uk.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Maxim-Integrated/MAX13331GEE-V+/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMuyaNrx2BHM4iCP5Bi2hfBPrtsMbgWwJIc%3d

 

Anyway, I do agree with others comments stating that it is 'how it sounds' that is most important.

 

I read somewhere someone was successfully driving 300ohm full size headphones with NX1, thoughts?

 

 

 Maximum output power 100mW (RL=32Ω, THD+N=1%)
 Maximum output voltage swing 8.2Vpp

Here is the official product page:

 

http://www.tpdz.net/en/products.htm




I'm actually driving 250ohm Beyer DT880 right now with it on high gain. About 10:00 on the volume dial for normal listening level.  It's a little champ. :smile: 

post #165 of 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post
 




I'm actually driving 250ohm Beyer DT880 right now with it on high gain. About 10:00 on the volume dial for normal listening level.  It's a little champ. :smile: 

 

Any noticeable noise on high gain settings?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › TOPPING NX1 Portable Headphone Amplifier Impressions Thread