or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › TOPPING NX1 Portable Headphone Amplifier Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

TOPPING NX1 Portable Headphone Amplifier Impressions Thread - Page 9

post #121 of 1988

Mine is most definitely on the last one :mad:

post #122 of 1988

Peter, at this rate I may just go with H20's impressions, order them from DX -- and get them before you!  :deadhorse:

post #123 of 1988
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJScope View Post
 

 

Hmmm cold is something I try to steer away from. But I do love forward mids. 

 

Do you have any other amps to compare this to?

 

I have Tralucent T1 here and JDS C421, T1 being more than x5 times the price and C421 being at least triple, regardless of that I'm really impressed with the sound coming out of this little thing. Like Dmax said the bass is punchy while the mids stay clean and detailed, especially vocals are crisp and have good extension.

From what I remember it leaves amps like FiiO E6 far behind immediately punching up with E11, C&C BH. For my preferences with H-300 its a better pairing than Tralucent T1, though let's not get carried away just yet. It's just better synergy for H-300 because it seems to put the top heavy treble in line and allow higher volume before the rather cold H-300 leans out.

I'll compare to the other amps down the road but this little thing can get up and go with my pure silver interconnect, DX50 and H-300. It's almost like Topping stole a few ideas from C&C namely the foot-print size of BH but at the same time making NX1 thinner. I don't like the power switch position because if you're using a right angle jack like I am with H-300 it gets in the way switching the amp on/off. Straight jacks would be no problem.

I think DMax said he does prefer NX1 to C&C BH and can totally understand how that's possible. I was driving some full-size SHR440 on low gain no problems, switching back and forth between  DX50 headphone out and NX1 from line out I think I preffeer the more detailed NX1's forward mid-range.

Another thing is even with H-300 I turn the amp up to about half the volume pot, it's rather relaxed until you lift the volume considerably I tend to listen to H-300 at about 50% 60%, but I'll get a better estimate on that when laying down late at night. When you get to about the last 25% (about 3/4) then it really throws on the power out. (This is in low gain)

I'm really enjoying it and coming from amps like Tralucent T1 that's quite a task and think anyone should be good to go.


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter123 View Post
 

Sounds great, my only question now is WHO KILLED MY DONKEY!!!!


Damn Pete! We'll need to send out a search party!

post #124 of 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrian View Post
 

Peter, at this rate I may just go with H20's impressions, order them from DX -- and get them before you!  :deadhorse:

I'm afraid that you're right about that.................

Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post
 

Damn Pete! We'll need to send out a search party!

Please do! Maybe one of those submarines searching for MH370 could help out, as far as I know donkeys are not the best swimmers :D

post #125 of 1988

Just letting you guys know that the Topping NX1 on Deal Extreme is now $34.94, which is down by about $1.80 from what it was the last time I checked.  That's for the US/Canada site.  

 

First amp here I come?  

post #126 of 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrian View Post
 

Just letting you guys know that the Topping NX1 on Deal Extreme is now $34.94, which is down by about $1.80 from what it was the last time I checked.  That's for the US/Canada site.  

 

First amp here I come?  

Just rub it in......

post #127 of 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post
 

 

I have Tralucent T1 here and JDS C421, T1 being more than x5 times the price and C421 being at least triple, regardless of that I'm really impressed with the sound coming out of this little thing. Like Dmax said the bass is punchy while the mids stay clean and detailed, especially vocals are crisp and have good extension.

From what I remember it leaves amps like FiiO E6 far behind immediately punching up with E11, C&C BH. For my preferences with H-300 its a better pairing than Tralucent T1, though let's not get carried away just yet. It's just better synergy for H-300 because it seems to put the top heavy treble in line and allow higher volume before the rather cold H-300 leans out.

I'll compare to the other amps down the road but this little thing can get up and go with my pure silver interconnect, DX50 and H-300. It's almost like Topping stole a few ideas from C&C namely the foot-print size of BH but at the same time making NX1 thinner. I don't like the power switch position because if you're using a right angle jack like I am with H-300 it gets in the way switching the amp on/off. Straight jacks would be no problem.

I think DMax said he does prefer NX1 to C&C BH and can totally understand how that's possible. I was driving some full-size SHR440 on low gain no problems, switching back and forth between  DX50 headphone out and NX1 from line out I think I preffeer the more detailed NX1's forward mid-range.

Another thing is even with H-300 I turn the amp up to about half the volume pot, it's rather relaxed until you lift the volume considerably I tend to listen to H-300 at about 50% 60%, but I'll get a better estimate on that when laying down late at night. When you get to about the last 25% (about 3/4) then it really throws on the power out. (This is in low gain)

I'm really enjoying it and coming from amps like Tralucent T1 that's quite a task and think anyone should be good to go.


 


Damn Pete! We'll need to send out a search party!

 

 

That does sound very impressive. Let's see how it goes after a few hours of burn-in and your ears adjusting to it. PS. My offer to compare the NX1 to my E17 still stand if you want to give it a go one day. I don't really have money to burn to buy one myself, and frankly I'm really happy with the E17, but I would still like to audition this little thing just for future reference.

post #128 of 1988
@H20Fidelity How's the battery life? I was thinking about using it as a desk amp as well as portable one. Does it work while it's charging?
post #129 of 1988
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodier View Post


The battery time is quoted at 100 hours, actually 120 though mine only arrived today so cannot say for certain. There were members a few pages back already putting quite a few hours on in one charge. I haven't tested it while charging yet though I don't see why not. Doesn't say you can't.
post #130 of 1988

I hate carrying an amp along with me but it's so cheap my curiosity got the best of me. I hope DX donkeys are a fast breed.

post #131 of 1988
Thread Starter 
For Australian members only there's 3 spots open for a one week demo of NX1.

If you're an established member (preferably with some sales feedback) please contact me via PM to arrange this. In exchange for your one week demo impressions will be required or (and) comparisons to any amps you own.
post #132 of 1988

It's been over 3 weeks of daily usage, even leaving it on by accident for 8 hours at a time once, and I still haven't needed to charge it.

 

I usually have good intuition, and I figured this would be very close or better than the C&C which I feel is overpriced, and the NX1 shows why. It's not perfectly transparent, but it leaves $35 amps in the dust.

 

I almost jumped on the E12 $90 deal, but then I asked myself why? This thing does all that I need portable wise.

post #133 of 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard View Post
 

It's been over 3 weeks of daily usage, even leaving it on by accident for 8 hours at a time once, and I still haven't needed to charge it.

How do the KC06, Tenore and Havi perform for this amp?

post #134 of 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrian View Post

How do the KC06, Tenore and Havi perform for this amp?

I'll let you know in four months when mine arrives frown.gif
post #135 of 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter123 View Post


I'll let you know in four months when mine arrives frown.gif


LOL.. I think bhazard had all 3, or did.  Maybe he's sold off some of them by now.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › TOPPING NX1 Portable Headphone Amplifier Impressions Thread