Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Reviews + impressions thread: Final Audio Design Pandora Hope VI (interesting dynamic + BA full size headphones)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Reviews + impressions thread: Final Audio Design Pandora Hope VI (interesting dynamic + BA full... - Page 47

post #691 of 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterSack View Post

May he rest in audiophile's heaven.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kupleh View Post
 

May he rest in peace.

 

Rest In Peace sir.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellofund View Post
 

I've been lusting after a pair of these for a while now and decided to bite the bullet and order some. I've dabbled with a number of headphones over the last few years (can't say I haven't enjoyed it) but now seems like the time to settle down with a long term partner ;)

 

Prices here in the UK are fairly steep (£699 which I think equates to around $1200 USD) so I'm considering importing from Japan.

 

Buying headphones from Japan doesn't seem all that easy though so I'm thinking of using a forwarding service. The only one I've really heard much about is Tenso but I've also seen the odd post on head-fi about BuySmartJapan and right now they seem a good bit cheaper, as they're currently offering free EMS shipping on headphones and charging a 10% handling fee rather than their usual 15%. Even after I factor in import taxes etc. it works out around £410-£420 landed which is a considerable saving but I can probably kiss the warranty goodbye.

 

Did any of you use such a service to buy your PH VI's and, if so, how did it go? 

 

Also are there any known reliability issues with the Pandoras that I should take into consideration before ordering? 

 

Thanks in advance for any help!

 

There's two classifieds. I'd say jump on one of those?

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/725125/fs-final-audio-design-pandora-hope-vi

http://www.head-fi.org/t/726812/final-audio-design-fad-pandora-hope-vi-mint

 

And I highly recommend that you check out these guys for a shipping service from Japan: http://request.whiterabbitexpress.com/

Hadn't I had the great help of a kind member on here I would have definitely went with them. They're all English speaking and accept Paypal which sets them apart last time I checked.

 

I'm still rocking the Pandora. Great headphone! It does so well with electronic music. De-li-cious.

post #692 of 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterSack View Post


I haven't used such a Service But Imported Directly via ebay - no Problems at all. If you are interested in the guys Email send me a pm

 

I appreciate the offer but have ruled out ebay. The going rate for the Hope VIs seems just a bit too high though as sellers need to factor ebay's fees into their asking price. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriez View Post
 

There's two classifieds. I'd say jump on one of those?

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/725125/fs-final-audio-design-pandora-hope-vi

http://www.head-fi.org/t/726812/final-audio-design-fad-pandora-hope-vi-mint

 

And I highly recommend that you check out these guys for a shipping service from Japan: http://request.whiterabbitexpress.com/

Hadn't I had the great help of a kind member on here I would have definitely went with them. They're all English speaking and accept Paypal which sets them apart last time I checked.

 

I'm still rocking the Pandora. Great headphone! It does so well with electronic music. De-li-cious.

 

Glad to hear you're enjoying your Pandora and I really appreciate the links moriez. Had seen the pair listed in the classifieds but it's good to have another shipping service to consider.

 

It's definitely a plus that whiterabbit offer English speaking support as whilst Buysmart's website is in English I'm really not sure what their behind-the-scenes support is like. Both accept Paypal for payments which is a big plus as I can also use a CC as my funding method for double protection. 

 

---

 

Thanks again for all the help guys!

 

Update: decided to rule out buysmartjapan. According to the t&c's if your purchase arrives faulty then they don't want to know.

 

Update 2: Looks like Tenso are the same and possibly whiterabbitexpress too, although they are a wee bit more vague on the subject. Guess that's the gamble you take.

 

[quote]

Article 15 (Returned Goods, Exchange)

  1. The Company shall not accept any Member’s request for return or exchange of Goods, except in cases where such request is based on causes attributable to the fault of the Company.
  2. With regard to request for return or exchange of Goods due to causes attributable to the fault of the Company , Members shall notify the Company in a method separately prescribed by the Company within seven (7) days of the arrival of Goods at the destination address (including the date of such arrival), and the Company shall not respond to any request for return or exchange made after expiration of said period of seven (7) days.
  3. In case of return of Goods due to causes attributable to the fault of the Company as mentioned in the preceding paragraph, the Company shall refund to the Members the Goods' Price that they have already paid, in a method separately prescribed by the Company.
  4. In case of exchange of Goods due to causes attributable to the fault of the Company as mentioned in the second paragraph, the Company shall exchange Goods at no additional cost to the Members, in a method separately prescribed by the Company.
  5. In cases where any initial defect is detected in Goods, Members shall directly contact the manufacturer of Goods and ask for repair or exchange. The Company and Suppliers shall not respond to any request for return or exchange of Goods due to initial defect.[/quote]

Edited by jellofund - 7/21/14 at 8:04am
post #693 of 804
My experience with eBay is similar, prices tend to be high on Japan imports. The used items are frequently how I go to save money, no warranty of course, but, as noted above, not sure if you have much protection when you buy with these services. The main thing you get is a new item rather than one someone is getting rid of (haven't had problems yet though buying through the for sale forum here)
post #694 of 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjazz View Post

My experience with eBay is similar, prices tend to be high on Japan imports. The used items are frequently how I go to save money, no warranty of course, but, as noted above, not sure if you have much protection when you buy with these services. The main thing you get is a new item rather than one someone is getting rid of (haven't had problems yet though buying through the for sale forum here)

 

That's my thinking too.

 

With a used item I accept there's often no warranty and that's fine if there's a saving to be made, but in this case there's not much in it. Whilst I also appreciate that importing usually voids the warranty I'd at least expect a company I'm paying a fee to to act as a middleman if a product they ship is d.o.a.

 

With it being such a major purchase for me I'd also really prefer to buy new as this is hopefully the pair that I keep for the long haul.

 

That said I now have an intereting dilemma as the price on Amazon UK has just dropped £140 which makes buying locally a slightly more attractive, albeit still rather expensive, proposition.

 

The peace of mind of a couple of years warranty might be worth paying the extra for especially when I'm in the process of selling off all my other headphones (except my MT220s) to fund the upgrade....nothing like sticking all your eggs in one basket eh? :D


Edited by jellofund - 7/21/14 at 8:37am
post #695 of 804
Have you considered Shure 1540? I have both, don't sound the same, but both just as good quality wise imo. Shure more detailed, FAD more rich. Love them both, Shure more often offered at discount or used, hardly ever see FAD offered. My $0.02.
post #696 of 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjazz View Post

Have you considered Shure 1540? I have both, don't sound the same, but both just as good quality wise imo. Shure more detailed, FAD more rich. Love them both, Shure more often offered at discount or used, hardly ever see FAD offered. My $0.02.

 

 

I'd looked at the open-backed 1840 in the past but hadn't come across the 1540, so many thanks for the recommendation. I'll definitely take a look at them.

post #697 of 804

the Hope6 has the capacity to be v detailed;

i was switching betw the E18 dac n audiogd nfb10.32 dac...

and it was immediately evident the audiogd gave out clearer, more refined details.

post #698 of 804

@jellofund

 

Have you heard the VI at all? I mean, do you know what you're buying? It's a lot of cash to drop on a brand new one if you haven't.

post #699 of 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellofund View Post
 

 

 

 when I'm in the process of selling off all my other headphones (except my MT220s) to fund the upgrade....nothing like sticking all your eggs in one basket eh? :D

 

y dun u just keep on enjoying your mt220....add a pair of AD2000 microsuede pads maybe.  :P

http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/OFFICIAL-Audio-technica-ear-pad-HP-AD2000X-for-ATH-AD2000X-/111132625860?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19e0054bc4&_uhb=1


Edited by Lorspeaker - 7/21/14 at 11:25pm
post #700 of 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by moriez View Post
 

@jellofund

 

Have you heard the VI at all? I mean, do you know what you're buying? It's a lot of cash to drop on a brand new one if you haven't.

 

I wish I had but we're not best served for good headphone stockists here. The only store in the UK that stocks them is Hifi Headphones who are a 1000 mile round trip away. 

 

I tend to spend a while reading up on & researching prospective puirchases, so whilst I normally buy blind I haven't been disappointed thus far. The one exception was the Fidelio L2s but at the time they were new on the market so I knew it was a gamble. 

 

That said this is a much bigger purchase so definitely something I have a bit more trepidation about. Hifiheadphones do offer a 30 day money back guarantee if in their own words "you didn’t get just the right item first time around" and whilst I've never needed to make use of it it's always an option. My biggest concern isn't so much whether I'll like their sound but more the comfort and weight and if the qualitative upgrade in sound quality is enough to justify the expense.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorspeaker View Post
 

 

y dun u just keep on enjoying your mt220....add a pair of AD2000 microsuede pads maybe.  :P

http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/OFFICIAL-Audio-technica-ear-pad-HP-AD2000X-for-ATH-AD2000X-/111132625860?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19e0054bc4&_uhb=1

 

Not a bad suggestion and something I've been think myself to be honest. Either that or buying up a job lot of 220swhilst they're cheap (exchange rate: 1 FAD = 4.5 MT220) and cracking open a box whenever new headphone-itis kicks in ;)

 

 

I'm going to take my leave from this thread as I'm conscious that I'm probably derailing it a bit when the focus should be on impressions and appreciation. I appreciate you both questioning the wisdom of such a purchase though and for being the voices of reason. Definitely something for me to go away and have a think about.

 

Lorspeaker - I'll maybe stop by the MT220 thread with a couple of questions about those pads if I may. Have to say that in addition to a review from someone whose opinion I trust your enthusiasm for them convinced me to take the plunge. Very glad I did so cheers for that!


Edited by jellofund - 7/22/14 at 2:27am
post #701 of 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellofund View Post

I wish I had but we're not best served for good headphone stockists here. The only store in the UK that stocks them is Hifi Headphones who are a 1000 mile round trip away. 

 

I tend to spend a while reading up on & researching prospective puirchases, so whilst I normally buy blind I haven't been disappointed thus far. The one exception was the Fidelio L2s but at the time they were new on the market so I knew it was a gamble. 

 

That said this is a much bigger purchase so definitely something I have a bit more trepidation about. Hifiheadphones do offer a 30 day money back guarantee if in their own words "you didn’t get just the right item first time around" and whilst I've never needed to make use of it it's always an option. My biggest concern isn't so much whether I'll like their sound but more the comfort and weight and if the qualitative upgrade in sound quality is enough to justify the expense.

 

That's the way I roll, buy blindly. But only used items, not brand new ones. Just doesn't add up. Hifi Headphones policy sounds really good to me as long as they'll return your money when you send it back and not give a gift certificate instead. Give them a call maybe and find out if they know a thing or two about customer service. As far as the Pandora goes, she may be the best sounding headphone that I have personnally heard since being more serious somewhere last year. A stunner. Yes, there are (way) more comfortable and lighter headphones out there. At first you may find it something like a (below) mediocre fit but if the sound has won you over, the more time you will spend, the more used you'll get and kind of forget about the shortcomings in design. In her own right she's really not that uncomfy at all. When the comparing to other headphones starts yeah, the Pandora takes ''the backseat'' for sure.

 

And derailing? You're not doing any derailing. If anything, your thoughts and questions helps others as well. No worries at all ;)

post #702 of 804
Thread Starter 

Okay, today I received the Bluecell Beyer replacement pads for the VI. These pads seem to be a happy medium between the details that come through the stock pads, and the comfort of the first generic Beyer pads I bought from Amazon. I'm definitely hearing most of the details I hear with the stock, but without the ear soreness that comes with the stock ones. Good investment for $9.99

post #703 of 804

I can't seem to find it properly on google or search - could anyone help me with what the differences are between the Hope IV and VI overall and if using VI pads.

post #704 of 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyZH View Post
 

I can't seem to find it properly on google or search - could anyone help me with what the differences are between the Hope IV and VI overall and if using VI pads.

 

I was trying to find out the same thing a few days back. I did come across the following review for the Hope IV which does a bit of a comparison with the VI (Dale also did a seperate review of the VI which should also be on his site):

 

http://dalethorn.com/Headphone_Final_Audio_Pandora4_Review.txt

 

The comments about the IV having a much brighter treble have really put me off but it was interesting to see the suggestion that the VI pads may tame that a bit.

 

-----

 

On another note.

 

I'd decided to shelf my plan of buying the VI for the time being (just a bit too much of an outlay at present) but this page appeared on Amazon UK today with a pair of VIs (allegedly) listed for a sub £300 price: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00HSHEU7M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

 

The product title, description, model no. and rrp (was quoted as £699.99 before it went out of stock) all indicate it's a VI but the picture shows the IV. I suspect they've screwed up and they'll most likely ship me a pair of IVs but you've got to buy a ticket to if you want to win the lottery :D

 

At least it's easy enough to return stuff with Amazon and they'll cover the postage if it's their mistake.

 

Still a very good price on the IV's mind but I really don't think they'd be my cuppa, so not even worth opening them for a quick audition.


Edited by jellofund - 7/31/14 at 6:11am
post #705 of 804

When the offer a VI with the specs of a VI but show a IV as pic they still have to sell You a VI - If they messed up their sale ad its their problem, as far as I know customer rights.

 

So - good luck to You - hope your ticket wins the lottery.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Reviews + impressions thread: Final Audio Design Pandora Hope VI (interesting dynamic + BA full size headphones)