or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Reviews + impressions thread: Final Audio Design Pandora Hope VI (interesting dynamic + BA full size headphones)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Reviews + impressions thread: Final Audio Design Pandora Hope VI (interesting dynamic + BA full size headphones) - Page 27

post #391 of 1648
Those pads can't be shiped to Canada and the official versions cost $70 :/
Hope things turn out well for my $15 mod
post #392 of 1648

Just stuff some cotton wool on the underside of the pads. It will make the pads firmer and more comfortable and it costs only $2 to do so.

post #393 of 1648
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanlamin View Post

Just stuff some cotton wool on the underside of the pads. It will make the pads firmer and more comfortable and it costs only $2 to do so.
bit late for that but that is definitely a much cheaper alternative. I needed some memory foam anyways for some pillows :P so none shall be wasted!
The properties of it are very comfy just worried about sweating.
post #394 of 1648
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp10 View Post
 

You know I'm a drums and bass man. This gives just the right amount of bass without going into basshead territory (or being light on the bass), and some of the fullest most natural drum snaps I've ever heard in any headphone.

I compared them to basshead headphones like the q40 and these have more bass and hit a lot harder. Also more bass and hit harder than the th600 that is a basshead hp. That is when you compare bass alone. The rest of the FR is just so clear and forward that it doesnt seem like it. 

 

I may be alone on this one but im close to calling them basshead.

post #395 of 1648
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzlybeast View Post
 

I compared them to basshead headphones like the q40 and these have more bass and hit a lot harder. Also more bass and hit harder than the th600 that is a basshead hp. That is when you compare bass alone. The rest of the FR is just so clear and forward that it doesnt seem like it. 

 

I may be alone on this one but im close to calling them basshead.

 

 

I need more burn-in on them, but there is clearly enough bass. Like you stated, with the clarity of the other frequencies you don't really notice how much bass it has. And it's a fairly balanced headphone the way it's tuned. I would go with audiophile-basshead headphone.

post #396 of 1648
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzlybeast View Post
 

I compared them to basshead headphones like the q40 and these have more bass and hit a lot harder. Also more bass and hit harder than the th600 that is a basshead hp. That is when you compare bass alone. The rest of the FR is just so clear and forward that it doesnt seem like it. 

 

I may be alone on this one but im close to calling them basshead.


See, this is why I'm so confused on PH6's bass response because the opinions vary so greatly. :s

I don't personally need a lot of AUDIBLE bass quantities, I'm more into the "attack & slam" psychoacoustics, if I can achieve more "feel the bass impact/hit" with lesser audible bass quantities then great! You know the sense that you stand near a drumset and feel when the drumstick hits the drum, that very short punch/kick. Sennheiser HD25-II are good examples of this, has great capabilities to make the bass beats or drums "punch" despite the bass quantity isn't overly huge by any means.

Bass quantity-wise my Q40 is suitable for me. The Q40 also have pretty nice attack & slam, quantity bass vs slam the Q40 has compared to HD25-II slightly worse ratio, the Q40 are significantly more audibly bassy but the attack & slam is pretty similar of those two.


Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 4/24/14 at 10:12pm
post #397 of 1648

On open box, the bass seemed boosted and somewhat loose but burn-in tightens up the bass quite a bit and brings it more in line with the other frequencies. I'm sure cn11, who I sold my pair to, can describe what the bass should sound like after proper burn-in.

post #398 of 1648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jooce View Post

Those pads can't be shiped to Canada and the official versions cost $70 :/
Hope things turn out well for my $15 mod

Just FYI - You can also use the Shure 840 replacement pads - they work just fine, the sound is no changed to my hearing and no more sore ears.  

post #399 of 1648
It,s the realism of the bass that impressed me.:-)
post #400 of 1648

To me the bass is pretty much there. Maybe it's because it's a touch masked by the fullness of the mids, and the expansiveness of the stage (for a closed phone) and free flowing details / resolution, but I find the lows a touch behind the rest of the presentation. I do think it's a little bit 'one note'. But then it will surprise sometimes when on really hard bass material you can feel it. Definitely not a bass light headphone, or an in your face bass monster. It's just that the rest of the range is so damn good. Oh, one thing that's telling, I certainly don't feel the need to bump up the lows on my Sony ZX1 due to any low end deficiency! 

post #401 of 1648

The main reason I'm not sure I can call these "bass monsters" isn't because the bass is lacking, but because everything else is just as powerful and clear. Oh they can make your head rattle if need be but you're gonna have a whole boatload of cushy mids and twinkly treble along the way. Real "basshead" headphones are what they are not just because the lows are capable of getting huge and loud, but because they're so much MORE present than the rest that you can push them to max output to get the teeth rattling without hurting your ears from the rest of the spectrum. The PH6 don't do that.

 

I mean, if you bass boost them hard? Oh lord yes. They'll devastate. So maybe that's it. If you're equipped to fiddle with boost a little the PH6 will knock your skull in, they just don't do it out of the box. 

post #402 of 1648
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
 

The main reason I'm not sure I can call these "bass monsters" isn't because the bass is lacking, but because everything else is just as powerful and clear. Oh they can make your head rattle if need be but you're gonna have a whole boatload of cushy mids and twinkly treble along the way. Real "basshead" headphones are what they are not just because the lows are capable of getting huge and loud, but because they're so much MORE present than the rest that you can push them to max output to get the teeth rattling without hurting your ears from the rest of the spectrum. The PH6 don't do that.

 

I mean, if you bass boost them hard? Oh lord yes. They'll devastate. So maybe that's it. If you're equipped to fiddle with boost a little the PH6 will knock your skull in, they just don't do it out of the box. 

That was also my impression from the start. To my ears the mids are so fantastic that I tend to forget or overlook that the bass can really hit - I think it is all there when you need it - but not when you don't. 

I propose to listen to ome Fat Freddy's Drop tunes - they have really strong bass lines - and it all sounds wonderful. 

post #403 of 1648

PH VI is by no means a basshead headphone, no matter how you listen it except if you use bass booster from amp.

post #404 of 1648
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMiddleSky View Post

PH VI is by no means a basshead headphone, no matter how you listen it except if you use bass booster from amp.
Like I say the bass is not the dominant in the mix or balance of the hp but when compared to others it hits harder and has more so I will say its close Specially when it looks like this:
Qty/impact:
Jvc dx700> Pandora=zmf vibro>th600>lcd2 =md pro=he400>q40>7520

It's bass isn't the cleanest though but is very detailed. It's unique in that its very dynamic and fast with adequate detail but not fat sounding yet really punchy. Overall quality to me looks dif than the above.
Lcd2>he400>VIBRO>md pro>7520>pandora>th600>jvc dx700>q40

With my loudness button my vintage nad receiver on the th600 it sounds the most fulfilling.The orthos won't respond to the boost as well. I also suspect the pandora won't be tight enough to keep its composure.

I'm not saying its basshead certified but the "by no means" part is where I disagree
Edited by grizzlybeast - 4/25/14 at 12:05pm
post #405 of 1648
Thread Starter 

To be honest, I'm not sure I won't to call it a basshead headphone either. I would say, however, that there is enough bass in the Hope VI to satisfy a basshead (like me, although I'm a new breed called an audiophile basshead). Most audiophiles will think there is too much bass in this headphone, but many bassheads will think it didn't go far enough. To my ears it's just right. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Reviews + impressions thread: Final Audio Design Pandora Hope VI (interesting dynamic + BA full size headphones)