or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Ibasso dx50 or pb 2 as next purchase?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ibasso dx50 or pb 2 as next purchase?

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
Hello Head-fi, I've recently bought a pair of akg k702 and I currently don't have anything to drive them.
I currently have a zune HD and a Fiio e5.
Should I buy a ibasso dx50 or pb2?
I will also be using either with my other headphones/earphones:
Akg k550
Sennheiser hd598
Sennheiser amperior
Triplefi 10
ACS t15

Although my main concern is driving the k702s I wouldn't mind if my other headphones also benefit

I'm located in Australia so any other alternative options available here are also welcome

Thanks
post #2 of 17

http://www.head-fi.org/t/682750/the-sad-state-of-the-so-called-audiophile-dap-market pretty much explains why I still use an iPod (at work). I'd have to try some more DAPs myself, but superficially it seems that there's currently a gap between Sansa or iPod and Astell & Kern, though I've read some encouraging reports about Fiio X3.

post #3 of 17
Thread Starter 
Thanks from the reply,
I've read a few pages of that thread and it doesn't seem like the dx50 is receiving that much negativity.
Do you think I should use my zune with the pb2 without an external dac instead of a dx50?
I'm also thinking of the Fiio e17 as another option.
post #4 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDragun View Post

Hello Head-fi, I've recently bought a pair of akg k702 and I currently don't have anything to drive them.
I currently have a zune HD and a Fiio e5.
Should I buy a ibasso dx50 or pb2?
I will also be using either with my other headphones/earphones:
Akg k550
Sennheiser hd598
Sennheiser amperior
Triplefi 10
ACS t15

Although my main concern is driving the k702s I wouldn't mind if my other headphones also benefit

I'm located in Australia so any other alternative options available here are also welcome

Thanks

Hello

 

The PB2 if you plan to balance mod your headphones. It also offer more power than the DX50. The K702 will benefit with more power :)

 

btw, add me at LoL US @ "TechnoHeadphone" xD 

 

Hope it helps

Billson

post #5 of 17
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the reply Billson,
I'm not to familiar with balancing mods, is that to do with switching the cables? Does the pb2 work with the akg702 without modding?

I transferred my main "iJanna" to the oceanic server already so I won't be able to play LoL with you unfortunately tongue.gif
post #6 of 17
You watched the part of the video about DX50? I'm not so knowledgeable about portables. I have some curiosity about Fiio. Some members I respect and have met use their products, specifically: E5, E09K, E12, E17, & X3.
post #7 of 17
Thread Starter 
Oh yeah sorry I forgot to mention that my internet is currently capped so I was only able to read the text in the thread
Could you perhaps give me an overview?biggrin.gif
It would be greatly appreciated
post #8 of 17
What I remember is that the OS is very buggy and crashes. He calls the product "half-baked," good hardware with a (currently) bad OS.

It reminds me of a tech article I read that argued that Google had made only half a phone when it developed Android. That was written pre-Nexus 4.
post #9 of 17
Thread Starter 
I guess the pb2 is the better option at the moment.
Would it be a waste of money if I don't balance the akg k702?
Or should I buy a cheaper amplifier without the balancing compatibility
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDragun View Post

I guess the pb2 is the better option at the moment.
Would it be a waste of money if I don't balance the akg k702?
Or should I buy a cheaper amplifier without the balancing compatibility

the PB2 will work with the K702 without balance mod. Balance mod somehow improve the sound quality and of course as the name it self says "better balance" xD

post #11 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsonChang007 View Post

the PB2 will work with the K702 without balance mod. Balance mod somehow improve the sound quality and of course as the name it self says "better balance" xD

Thanks for your help:D I'll probably get the pb2
Gonna read some more reviews/threads first to see if there are any other potential options
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsonChang007 View Post
 

the PB2 will work with the K702 without balance mod. Balance mod somehow improve the sound quality and of course as the name it self says "better balance" xD

 

That's right so far as I know. (I once tried to buy it, but they were out of stock.)

 

It's definitely not a waste of time to use K702 unbalanced. Balancing will lessen distortion slightly if you have a fully balanced system. Regardless, there are probably weak links worth attending to instead, such as source and file format.

post #13 of 17
Thread Starter 
I guess I'll continue to use my zune with 320kbps files and will probably get a pb2
Thanks for your help Claritas smily_headphones1.gif
post #14 of 17

WAITTTT hold on sir! I just realized you have a pair of IEM... The PB2 may be too loud/powerful for it. I am not so sure but it is best to use your Triple-Fi 10 directly with your DAP not PB2 xD

post #15 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsonChang007 View Post

WAITTTT hold on sir! I just realized you have a pair of IEM... The PB2 may be too loud/powerful for it. I am not so sure but it is best to use your Triple-Fi 10 directly with your DAP not PB2 xD

Haha yeah I don't think I'll be using the pb2 with my iems, but thanks for the concern tongue.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Ibasso dx50 or pb 2 as next purchase?