Folks, I have the Primo 8 for the night, and then it's gotta go back to the folks at Nuforce tomorrow.
Big ups to Wolf for taking the time to meet with me and being generous with letting me handle their engineering prototype (was just told this is a actually a production unit, just not made with the mass production run, so the design and sound signature are finalized, but the build quality isn't necessarily representative of the final production product)!
I don't have time to write up full impressions (and even when they come, please take them with a grain [or pinch, I'm better than a grain, I kid, I kid] of salt, because it's basically a 12-hour experience), but I've got a few initial remarks:
- These are very relaxing to listen to, i.e. they are an IEM that Tyll Hertsens could actually enjoy.
- I'm impressed by the maturity of Nuforce's tuning choice for this earphone. This is a great first effort on their part, foraying into the higher end of IEMs.
- TBH, I was not expecting to be impressed, but I am liking them more and more by the second.
- However, while it is decidedly excellent, it is not quite a "giant killer". It's not taking down the SE846, K3003, or TO GO! 334. What it is, is a very, very competent IEM.
- The quick summary is that it's "mid-centric", with a mild downsloping response, mild bass, and relaxed treble.
- Treble is slightly too relaxed for my tastes, but the open stereo separation in the midrange helps with the relaxed sound signature. Timbre is quite natural-sounding, despite the relaxed nature.
- Primary criticism: accessories are not as polished as those included with the offerings of its immediate competing products from Shure, Westone, and Logitech UE.
- Secondary criticism: mid-forward sound presentation should probably have slightly more in the upper-midrange and general treble shelf to further delineate the vocal band, which would also allow it to more closely approach the subjective "ideal" eardrum response as outlined by Olive & Welti (2013).
(Maybe I should do this Reddit AMA style... ask me anything concerning the Primo 8 within the next hour and a half?)
Edited by tomscy2000 - 2/25/14 at 8:04am