Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Nuforce Primo 8 - an Audiophile Phase Coherent Quad Balanced Armature Driver IEM - Impressions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Nuforce Primo 8 - an Audiophile Phase Coherent Quad Balanced Armature Driver IEM - Impressions - Page 15

post #211 of 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomscy2000 View Post
 

 

That's a huge difference....

 

Can you elaborate a bit more?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_recording View Post
 

 

Haha yes. And at the opposite end the XBA-H3 is also a huge difference. Would be fun to compare all 3!

 

I asked about the ATH-CK100 Pro as a point of reference. I know that a_recording reviewed them in the pass and I owned them. Thanks!

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #212 of 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinster View Post  Can you elaborate a bit more?

 

The CK100PRO is treble-bright with a very slight lower midrange scoop and non-recessed upper midrange. The Primo 8 is basically the opposite in that regard.

 

I actually like the CK100PRO a lot; it and the Primo 8 are as different as night and day, however. For fun and clarity, the CK100PRO is it. For gentle warmth but deep transparency, then the Primo 8 is better.

post #213 of 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomscy2000 View Post
 

 

The CK100PRO is treble-bright with a very slight lower midrange scoop and non-recessed upper midrange. The Primo 8 is basically the opposite in that regard.

 

I actually like the CK100PRO a lot; it and the Primo 8 are as different as night and day, however. For fun and clarity, the CK100PRO is it. For gentle warmth but deep transparency, then the Primo 8 is better.

I have both and you are spot on.

post #214 of 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomscy2000 View Post

The CK100PRO is treble-bright with a very slight lower midrange scoop and non-recessed upper midrange. The Primo 8 is basically the opposite in that regard.

I actually like the CK100PRO a lot; it and the Primo 8 are as different as night and day, however. For fun and clarity, the CK100PRO is it. For gentle warmth but deep transparency, then the Primo 8 is better.

Great thank you for the clear explaination
post #215 of 261

http://www.head-fi.org/products/nuforce-primo-8/reviews/11187  My take on the Primo 8.


Edited by Dsnuts - 6/20/14 at 5:53pm
post #216 of 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsnuts View Post
 

http://www.head-fi.org/products/nuforce-primo-8/reviews/11187  My take on the Primo 8.

 

Nice work! I'm gunning to have my review up soon, but definitely a lot of positives to be had :D

post #217 of 261

Thanks. Been listening to them all day can't get enough of this sound. .You guys must try larger bore tips..I can't use the stock tips afterwards. Out of my 2quickstep amp the sound is simply stupendous. It is very unfortunate that many will overlook these earphones for the usual Westones Shures Sennheisers and the like..These provide nothing but great sound to my ears. Not enough spot light on the Primo 8 imo.


Edited by Dsnuts - 6/21/14 at 10:29pm
post #218 of 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsnuts View Post  You guys must try larger bore tips.

 

Yep; that'd be my recommendation as well. The horn effect of wide bore tips helps bring out the treble.

post #219 of 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsnuts View Post

Thanks. Been listening to them all day can't get enough of this sound. .You guys must try larger bore tips..I can't use the stock tips afterwards. Out of my 2quickstep amp the sound is simply stupendous. It is very unfortunate that many will overlook these earphones for the usual Westones Shures Sennheisers and the like..These provide nothing but great sound to my ears. Not enough spot light on the Primo 8 imo.

Actually I meant to ask, is the package you received the final retail version? From your pictures it seems like the stock silicone tips on my pair have larger bores. Will have to upload pictures later to double check.
post #220 of 261

Don't know if it is the final version but it was sealed up and looked like a final production box. The only tips that had a wider bore than the silicones was the complys and I don't think those had the best sound coming from them.

 

So I just tried the medium sized tips to throw them on backwards to thicken the nozzle for my Spiral Dot tips. The medium silicon tips actually have a longer stem to them than the smallest silicones, actually extending the Primo8s nozzle by a cm or so. I threw on the Spiral Dots and this affected the sound.  Got even more treble and an overall sharper tone, but much less bass as a result. So slight variances on extending the nozzle end of the Primo 8 seems to have an effect in the sounds. 

 

I went back to the smallest silicone tips and those sit flush with the Primo 8s nozzle end and gives the best sound to my ears.

 


Edited by Dsnuts - 6/22/14 at 8:33am
post #221 of 261

Has anyone tried pairing the Primo 8s with an iDSD Nano?

post #222 of 261
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadStrong View Post
 

Has anyone tried pairing the Primo 8s with an iDSD Nano?

 

I haven't heard of that one, but as long as the source and amp are not cold and analytical sounding the Primo 8 should sound great.

post #223 of 261

I'm referring to the iFi iDSD Nano portable Amp/DAC - quite a piece of kit for only $189...

post #224 of 261

I will be joining the ranks...I should have mine by Thursday

post #225 of 261
Does anyone know if the primo 8 will accept um-56 custom tips? Thanks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Gear mentioned in this thread:

Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Nuforce Primo 8 - an Audiophile Phase Coherent Quad Balanced Armature Driver IEM - Impressions