or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What to start with....?

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 
So, I'm a headphone n00b and I'm looking for recommendations as to a beginner audiophile headphone. I have had Pioneer SE-D10MT-W, Sony MDR-XB400, and Sennheiser HD 448. Currently I have a little less than $300 to spend on new headphones, but it's flexible. Also, I listen to mostly classical and electronic music. I'm looking for something balanced throughout the trebles, mids, and lows (with decently tight and punchy bass for the electronic music). I was originally looking at the Audio-Technica ATH-M50's, but I'm open to anything less than $300 (I can buy an amp as well). Thanks everyone!
post #2 of 28

Consider DT990 or a used HD650. HD650 is more neutral, and DT990 has more bass and treble.

post #3 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickZachlolson View Post

So, I'm a headphone n00b and I'm looking for recommendations as to a beginner audiophile headphone. I have had Pioneer SE-D10MT-W, Sony MDR-XB400, and Sennheiser HD 448. Currently I have a little less than $300 to spend on new headphones, but it's flexible. Also, I listen to mostly classical and electronic music. I'm looking for something balanced throughout the trebles, mids, and lows (with decently tight and punchy bass for the electronic music). I was originally looking at the Audio-Technica ATH-M50's, but I'm open to anything less than $300 (I can buy an amp as well). Thanks everyone!

 

HD600 is a great classical cans with balanced sonic throughout the spectrum. Don't think its great for electronic music though. DT880 is also a balanced headphone, perhaps a bit bright, but I still much prefer the HD600.

post #4 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62ohm View Post
 

HD600 is a great classical cans with balanced sonic throughout the spectrum. Don't think its great for electronic music though. DT880 is also a balanced headphone, perhaps a bit bright, but I still much prefer the HD600.

 

I wholly agree with you that they're better for classical. I suggested HD650 and DT990 only because OP wanted "decently tight and punchy bass for the electronic music."

post #5 of 28
Thread Starter 

I've been looking at those as well, but (I know my options are more limited as far as quality goes) any recommendations for closed headphones as well? I would like to potentially use them in a car or in other noisier places.

post #6 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claritas View Post
 

 

I wholly agree with you that they're better for classical. I suggested HD650 and DT990 only because OP wanted "decently tight and punchy bass for the electronic music."

 

I do not really have knowledge about electronic music requirements, but should the OP seeks something with more bass then I guess DT990 is the way to go. I whole heartedly despised the HD650 lol, might just be a personal preference thing though.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickZachlolson View Post
 

I've been looking at those as well, but (I know my options are more limited as far as quality goes) any recommendations for closed headphones as well? I would like to potentially use them in a car or in other noisier places.

 

I don't think anyone here would deny that HD600/650 and DT880/990 is a world class headphones. Yes, they are not flagship, but I believe cans in this price range are the ones that hits the sweet spot in terms of price/performance ratio.

post #7 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickZachlolson View Post
 

I've been looking at those as well, but (I know my options are more limited as far as quality goes) any recommendations for closed headphones as well? I would like to potentially use them in a car or in other noisier places.

 

Sennheiser Momentum comes to mind as a closed substitute having the same general sound as HD650.

post #8 of 28
I would look at the Maddogs - but you would need an amp for them.
post #9 of 28

I'm a really big fan of DT770 Pro for closed-back mid-fi cans, they sound fairly flat and balanced. Could be inadequate bass punch for your requirements though.


Edited by 62ohm - 12/25/13 at 8:44pm
post #10 of 28
Thread Starter 

I don't necessarily need a large bass punch, especially to the point were it becomes unbalanced. I might just look into the DT770's. If I can find a pair of 650's for under 300, that might be another option as well because I really love my HD448's.  

post #11 of 28
Thread Starter 

Now I'm looking for opinions and comparisons... What's the best OVERALL headphone for $300 or less.... open or closed.

post #12 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickZachlolson View Post
 

Now I'm looking for opinions and comparisons... What's the best OVERALL headphone for $300 or less.... open or closed.

 

All have their own pros and cons, so the 'best' one depends on the sonic preference of the listener. For the price, I would say try HD600 or DT880, both are very good balance cans, though I'm not sure they are particularly brilliant for electronic music.

 

Keep in mind that these 2 headphones are high impedance cans that would require a dedicated amplification.

post #13 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62ohm View Post
 

 

All have their own pros and cons, so the 'best' one depends on the sonic preference of the listener. For the price, I would say try HD600 or DT880, both are very good balance cans, though I'm not sure they are particularly brilliant for electronic music.

 

Keep in mind that these 2 headphones are high impedance cans that would require a dedicated amplification.

I currently have a FiiO E6 headphone amp. Would that suffice?
 

post #14 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickZachlolson View Post
 

I currently have a FiiO E6 headphone amp. Would that suffice?
 

 

I don't think so, specs-wise FiiO E6 don't have the adequate power to drive HD600 or DT880. I recommend upgrading to something like the FiiO E09k.

post #15 of 28
Thread Starter 

Thanks. Ive been needing to upgrade to a new amp, so I'll look into that.

     

         So far I've narrowed my search down to a few closed headphones (I'm looking for closed now considering almost all my pairs are open). I've narrowed it down to several cans: Keeping in mind that I might buy a new amp, I was looking at the DT770's, V-MODA M100's, Beyerdynamic COP, ATH-M50, or something of AKG.

 

   Opinions?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home