Haha, I was just reminiscing about my first headphone purchase. I asked for a pair of Samson SR850's for my 10th birthday. At the time mind you, $50 seemed like a ton of money. Anyways, I grew up listening to good sound, and I got hooked. I now own 2 pairs of Senns, AKG Q701, and Grado SR80's. Anyways, what headphones first got you hooked on the audio bug?
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by nightmancometh, 1/7/14
- productSennheiser HD 555 Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 1/7/14
- productSR80i - Prestige Series Open Back Dynamic On Ear Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 1/7/14
- productSR850 Professional Studio Reference Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 1/7/14
Related Forum Threads
- Need a new Headphone/SoundCard combo (some options inside). Last post on 8/3/12 at 4:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Quick Samson SR850 vs SR950 vs Sony XB500 vs Sennheiser HD555 Last post on 4/21/14 at 2:15pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Android Bluetooth DAC advice Last post on 12/5/13 at 8:03pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Already done research, would like opinions on ~$125 Over Ear Open-backed Headphones. Last post on 1/31/13 at 2:54am in Headphones (full-size)
INTRODUCTION First of all, a big THANK YOU to Michael Lin from FIDUE for providing the review unit. It is much appreciated, and my humble ears are feeling so incredibly honoured to be...
iBasso D-Zero MKII Review iBasso is a very common name out there on the forums now, with their DX50 and DX90 gaining a rather large user base. I have reviewed both the DX50 and DX90 and I found...
These headphones generally are excellent. They possess this remarkable mixture of openness and intimacy at the same time. There’s a true sense of soundstage, with a good width and depth and still...
Brainwavz S0 Quick Review Thanks to mp4nation for the sample. Full Review here http://www.head-fi.org/t/743834/brainwavz-s0-review-by-mark2410 Brief: The S5 has a baby...
Over the recent months, Creative has been bursting out some pretty nice portable gears aiming from the basic casual user all the way up to serious audiophiles. Most importantly, they are pricing...
What Headphones Got You Hooked On Good Sound?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Sennheiser HD 555s. Too bad they suffered from the notorious cracking. But Sennheiser gave me an upgrade to the 558s for free. Hearing an open headphone for the first time really opened my eyes, or ears I guess.
The original K701. I was using it with just an Ipod Classic (monochrome!) with a Total Airhead.
It got the job done and managed to sound good. I believe it had a Wolfson DAC in it.
Even double amped it because they didn't have LOD cables back then..
I would say I didn't really get hooked on headphones until I wanted to find a headphone that sounded as good as my Triple Fi 10 (with Comply foams).
I downsized from my K701 and spent 3 years with just a Triple Fi 10.
DT880's. They were my first really good headphone. Prior to that I picked up a few FOTM I heard about on here and while they were good, they were nothing like these.
That being said, I picked up the Samson SR850's as well as my first well thought out purchase. At the time $50 on headphones seemed like a lot...ha
Edited by Modular - 12/24/13 at 10:39pm
my first jump was the etymotic research hf5, i remember receiving it and being very disappointed about the bass. thought it was close to non existing, especially when i was using the 5 bucks coby jammerz (my first iem ever and i actually liked it despite it does not really impress in terms of sound quality technicality wise but its signature targets average consumer, boosted midbass and warmer than neutral sound across the spectrum which makes it pretty easy to like for 5 bucks, a pretty fun sounding iem) prior to the hf5. then i learned that i had to insert it deeper and then theres the bass! not a lot in quantity but quality was quite good, cleaner bass than any of my other gears at that time. clarity and resolution were clearly a notch up from my other gears also (all others i had at that time were 5 to 10 bucks cheapos). thats basically how i started.
Nice headphones.. :D
I've had the M50's for a while, but I would consider them barely entry level headphones. My real foray into the hi-fi world were DT880 PRO's from Guitar Center, and now the 1840's.
I was once a hardcore Bose fan (lol, I know), and was very proud of my QC15
Then I want to get myself a pair of earphones for ease of transport, so I get the B&W C5 and was mesmerized by how good it sounds. It actually puts my QC15 into its box and rarely see daylight, let alone play music. So yeah, my B&W C5 started my audiophile journey.
- What Headphones Got You Hooked On Good Sound?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 47 seconds ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 1 minute ago
- › Light Harmonic Geek Wave 1 minute ago
- › Fostex T50RP Incremental Mods and Measurements 2 minutes ago
- › X5 firmware 2.34Beta--Now Playing gets a good memory, APE cuesheets 4 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 4 minutes ago
- › Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011) 5 minutes ago
- › 1964 Ears 6 minutes ago
- › $999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage 8 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread 9 minutes ago
- › FIDUE A71 Dual Dynamic Drivers Hi-Fi Earphones by djvkool
- › iBasso Audio D-Zero MK2 by lin0003
- › Audio Technica ATH-A900X | Art Monitor Headphones (Japan Import) by Mink
- › Brainwavz S0 In-Ear Headphones by mark2410
- › Creative Sound Blaster E3 Headphone Amplifier by ClieOS
- › Blue Microphones Mo-Fi Powered High-Fidelity Headphones with... by MacedonianHero
- › Basic K3 by nino9
- › Cowon iAUDIO 7 16Gb by Climber
- › Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X Audiophile Open-Air Headphones by TheHeadPhoneGuy
- › Shure SRH840 by SoundApprentice
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)