Haha, I was just reminiscing about my first headphone purchase. I asked for a pair of Samson SR850's for my 10th birthday. At the time mind you, $50 seemed like a ton of money. Anyways, I grew up listening to good sound, and I got hooked. I now own 2 pairs of Senns, AKG Q701, and Grado SR80's. Anyways, what headphones first got you hooked on the audio bug?
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by nightmancometh, 1/7/14
- productSennheiser HD 555 Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 1/7/14
- productSR80i - Prestige Series Open Back Dynamic On Ear Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 1/7/14
- productSR850 Professional Studio Reference Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 1/7/14
Related Forum Threads
- Need a new Headphone/SoundCard combo (some options inside). Last post on 8/3/12 at 4:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Quick Samson SR850 vs SR950 vs Sony XB500 vs Sennheiser HD555 Last post on 4/21/14 at 2:15pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Android Bluetooth DAC advice Last post on 12/5/13 at 8:03pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Already done research, would like opinions on ~$125 Over Ear Open-backed Headphones. Last post on 1/31/13 at 2:54am in Headphones (full-size)
Before I begin with my review of the Beyerdynamic XP1, all of the below are solely what I’ve managed to get out of the IEM, I suggest to try it out or read some other people’s review to get a...
See The Whole Review With Pictures Here: http://db-headphones.blogspot.com ... Oh and ignore the sliders for the audio quality, value etc. I can't edit the slider scoring on mobile. Disclaimer: I...
Disclaimer First of all, huge thanks to Audrey and the Brainwavz team for giving me the opportunity to write this review. Please note that I was not paid to write this review, nor am I...
First, the normal boilerplate stuff - Audio setup - FLAC files in MEdia Monkey -> Amazon Basics TOSLINK cable -> Schiit Bifrost w/Uber upgrade -> Knukoncept Shielded RCAS -> Project Ember...
Here are my impressions of the Fiio X1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEj0wLE-ojU
What Headphones Got You Hooked On Good Sound?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Sennheiser HD 555s. Too bad they suffered from the notorious cracking. But Sennheiser gave me an upgrade to the 558s for free. Hearing an open headphone for the first time really opened my eyes, or ears I guess.
The original K701. I was using it with just an Ipod Classic (monochrome!) with a Total Airhead.
It got the job done and managed to sound good. I believe it had a Wolfson DAC in it.
Even double amped it because they didn't have LOD cables back then..
I would say I didn't really get hooked on headphones until I wanted to find a headphone that sounded as good as my Triple Fi 10 (with Comply foams).
I downsized from my K701 and spent 3 years with just a Triple Fi 10.
DT880's. They were my first really good headphone. Prior to that I picked up a few FOTM I heard about on here and while they were good, they were nothing like these.
That being said, I picked up the Samson SR850's as well as my first well thought out purchase. At the time $50 on headphones seemed like a lot...ha
Edited by Modular - 12/24/13 at 10:39pm
my first jump was the etymotic research hf5, i remember receiving it and being very disappointed about the bass. thought it was close to non existing, especially when i was using the 5 bucks coby jammerz (my first iem ever and i actually liked it despite it does not really impress in terms of sound quality technicality wise but its signature targets average consumer, boosted midbass and warmer than neutral sound across the spectrum which makes it pretty easy to like for 5 bucks, a pretty fun sounding iem) prior to the hf5. then i learned that i had to insert it deeper and then theres the bass! not a lot in quantity but quality was quite good, cleaner bass than any of my other gears at that time. clarity and resolution were clearly a notch up from my other gears also (all others i had at that time were 5 to 10 bucks cheapos). thats basically how i started.
Nice headphones.. :D
I've had the M50's for a while, but I would consider them barely entry level headphones. My real foray into the hi-fi world were DT880 PRO's from Guitar Center, and now the 1840's.
I was once a hardcore Bose fan (lol, I know), and was very proud of my QC15
Then I want to get myself a pair of earphones for ease of transport, so I get the B&W C5 and was mesmerized by how good it sounds. It actually puts my QC15 into its box and rarely see daylight, let alone play music. So yeah, my B&W C5 started my audiophile journey.
- What Headphones Got You Hooked On Good Sound?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Norne Audio (Was: Norse Audio): Feedback & Impression Thread 9 seconds ago
- › FS IEM Chord & Major 8’13 ROCK TONAL EARPHONES in 10/10 cond 2 minutes ago
- › FS IEM Chord & Major 7’13 JAZZ TONAL EARPHONES in 10/10 cond 3 minutes ago
- › FS IEM Chord & Major 9’13 CLASSICAL TONAL EARPHONES in 10/10 cond 3 minutes ago
- › Headphone Amp/Dac problems 4 minutes ago
- › Westone UM PRO Series Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7 5 minutes ago
- › Astell & Kern AK120 impression thread 8 minutes ago
- › Earphones but no IEM 8 minutes ago
- › The NEW JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review) 8 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic XP1 by SawItComing
- › Audio-Technica ATH-WS77 SOLID BASS Portable Headphones (Japan Import) by DisCHORDDubstep
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by thatBeatsguy
- › Fostex TH 900 by smitty1110
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by aquamacs
- › Audio Technica ATH-IM02 balanced amature inner earphone by thatonenoob
- › DUNU DN-2000 Hybrid 3 way earphone by thatonenoob
- › Fidue A83 Reference Class Triple Hybrid IEM by H20Fidelity
- › Beyerdynamic Tesla T1 by smitty1110
- › Shure SE215 by SawItComing
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)