Haha, I was just reminiscing about my first headphone purchase. I asked for a pair of Samson SR850's for my 10th birthday. At the time mind you, $50 seemed like a ton of money. Anyways, I grew up listening to good sound, and I got hooked. I now own 2 pairs of Senns, AKG Q701, and Grado SR80's. Anyways, what headphones first got you hooked on the audio bug?
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by nightmancometh, 1/7/14
- productSennheiser HD 555 Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 1/7/14
- productSR80i - Prestige Series Open Back Dynamic On Ear Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 1/7/14
- productSR850 Professional Studio Reference Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 1/7/14
Related Forum Threads
- Need a new Headphone/SoundCard combo (some options inside). Last post on 8/3/12 at 4:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Quick Samson SR850 vs SR950 vs Sony XB500 vs Sennheiser HD555 Last post on 4/21/14 at 2:15pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Android Bluetooth DAC advice Last post on 12/5/13 at 8:03pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Already done research, would like opinions on ~$125 Over Ear Open-backed Headphones. Last post on 1/31/13 at 2:54am in Headphones (full-size)
Please disregard the sliders on the left hand side, as they are broken. Prefatory Notes: I purchased this product and am therefore not immune to the negative effects of buyer’s remorse...
I bought my RP3 for my headphone set up to enter in the world of vinyl and what a buy! Overall the rega is a very sensitive Turntable however, it awes me everytime I plug it in a play.
I have owned the WA2 for about a year now. I typically listen to Alternative Rock, occasional Rap and some Blues. I am using a Arcam rDac with it and I also have a Rega RP-3 and a Project Phono...
Disclaimer: I was sent a sample of the Brainwavz S5 for review. This will not affect my opinion of these IEMs in any way. You can also find this review(with pictures) on my own blog...
Switching from desktop audio system to the dap system is a painful experience if you have a seriously monitoring taste for any music and get used to top-notch headphones system like hd800+ ecba...
What Headphones Got You Hooked On Good Sound?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Sennheiser HD 555s. Too bad they suffered from the notorious cracking. But Sennheiser gave me an upgrade to the 558s for free. Hearing an open headphone for the first time really opened my eyes, or ears I guess.
The original K701. I was using it with just an Ipod Classic (monochrome!) with a Total Airhead.
It got the job done and managed to sound good. I believe it had a Wolfson DAC in it.
Even double amped it because they didn't have LOD cables back then..
I would say I didn't really get hooked on headphones until I wanted to find a headphone that sounded as good as my Triple Fi 10 (with Comply foams).
I downsized from my K701 and spent 3 years with just a Triple Fi 10.
DT880's. They were my first really good headphone. Prior to that I picked up a few FOTM I heard about on here and while they were good, they were nothing like these.
That being said, I picked up the Samson SR850's as well as my first well thought out purchase. At the time $50 on headphones seemed like a lot...ha
Edited by Modular - 12/24/13 at 10:39pm
my first jump was the etymotic research hf5, i remember receiving it and being very disappointed about the bass. thought it was close to non existing, especially when i was using the 5 bucks coby jammerz (my first iem ever and i actually liked it despite it does not really impress in terms of sound quality technicality wise but its signature targets average consumer, boosted midbass and warmer than neutral sound across the spectrum which makes it pretty easy to like for 5 bucks, a pretty fun sounding iem) prior to the hf5. then i learned that i had to insert it deeper and then theres the bass! not a lot in quantity but quality was quite good, cleaner bass than any of my other gears at that time. clarity and resolution were clearly a notch up from my other gears also (all others i had at that time were 5 to 10 bucks cheapos). thats basically how i started.
Nice headphones.. :D
I've had the M50's for a while, but I would consider them barely entry level headphones. My real foray into the hi-fi world were DT880 PRO's from Guitar Center, and now the 1840's.
I was once a hardcore Bose fan (lol, I know), and was very proud of my QC15
Then I want to get myself a pair of earphones for ease of transport, so I get the B&W C5 and was mesmerized by how good it sounds. It actually puts my QC15 into its box and rarely see daylight, let alone play music. So yeah, my B&W C5 started my audiophile journey.
- What Headphones Got You Hooked On Good Sound?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7 14 seconds ago
- › VSONIC GR07 Impressions & Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 1 minute ago
- › Music Game IX 1 minute ago
- › High End Bluetooth Headphones 3 minutes ago
- › Westone W60 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Have Asus Xonar U7 headphone amp newbie wants to know if I can use... 3 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 4 minutes ago
- › FiiO " Flagship " portable amp Mont Blanc/E12 discussing thread. 7 minutes ago
- › Bose QuietComfort 20i Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones by dbdchc
- › Rega RP3 by Nhubley
- › Woo Audio 2 by Nhubley
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by razor5cl
- › Aune M1 Hi-Fi Wav Player by wtnwin111
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Armaegis
- › Fidue A83 Reference Class Triple Hybrid IEM by Brooko
- › Audio-gd NFB29 by kvtaco17
- › Grado RS1i Reference Series Headphones by Textfeud
- › Shure SRH 440 Professional Studio Headphones by donniefalcone
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)