Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Sub-$150 phones for a very particular style of electronic music
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sub-$150 phones for a very particular style of electronic music

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 

Hi. Any advice or recommendations on this would be greatly appreciated.

To make this easier to read I'll organize my post into bullet-points...

1)-I plan on using whatever headphones I purchase for listening to music directly from a HP g7-1338dx laptop, un-amped.

2)-Most of my music is 320kbps. I usually don't get anything lower than 192kbps. Everything is mp3, I don't have FLAC files.

3)-I listen for long periods of time (5hrs is common). So ear fatigue from "intense sound" is an issue. I would prefer uncomfortable phones over phones that fatigue your ears with sound.

4)-I have some v-moda in-ear buds (not sure which model, they're not made anymore. They were ~$85 five years ago.) And I find them to be too bass-heavy.

5)-The music I would listen to would be Deep house/progressive house. Songs with deep, dark "rolling" bass. (I'll include some links to examples of what I'm trying to describe.)

6)-When I say electronic music, people tend to assume I mean hyperactive dance music where all that matters is a thumping beat. That's not the case.

7)-As i said, v-moda earbuds were too bass-oriented for me. I want bass, but I want it to be a sensible amount. Kind of like Goldilocks and the three bears.

8)-These links below are to the type of stuff I listen to. I emphasized "deep, dark rolling bass" because I feel that a bass-heavy headphone would be too intense. Yes, I realize they're Youtube and poor quality. 

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4gotmuZgRU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-j6tnhIpik

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSvq_W97z0E

 

9)-I was thinking either Grado SR80i or ATH-M50. Would one of these be better than the other? Or perhaps could anyone recommend something else for this type of music? 

Thanks. And I apologize for the huge wall of text. I wanted to include all the factors that I could.

post #2 of 11

Hi bagman1,

 

Welcome to Head-Fi!  :smile:  Sorry about your wallet.  :o

 

I've got one quick question for you.  Do you need these to be closed-back?  In other words, do you plan on going out in public with these.  I was going to assume yes, but then you listed the Grado SR-80i (which is open-backed), so I just wanted to make sure.  Thanks!

post #3 of 11
Thread Starter 

open or closed, just for home use.

post #4 of 11

Okay, gotcha.  First, lemme translate your requirements so that we can get some more answers in here a little faster.

 

Requirements:  Sensitive open or closed backed headphones with a refined and laid-back presentation, forgiving of source material, relatively balanced with excellent bass characteristics (mildly emphasized but with good speed and texture) for deep/progressive house.  $150 or under.

 

I'll get back to you with a recommendation in a moment or two.  :smile:

post #5 of 11
I have not heard this headphone, but from trusted sources, a used Sony MA900 might be for you. Very comfortable as well.
post #6 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post
 

Okay, gotcha.  First, lemme translate your requirements so that we can get some more answers in here a little faster.

 

Requirements:  Sensitive open or closed backed headphones with a refined and laid-back presentation, forgiving of source material, relatively balanced with excellent bass characteristics (mildly emphasized but with good speed and texture) for deep/progressive house.  $150 or under.

 

I'll get back to you with a recommendation in a moment or two.  :smile:

Yes that sounds fantastic, warrenpchi.

post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagman1 View Post
 

Yes that sounds fantastic, warrenpchi.

 

Thanks!  Okay, this wasn't easy, as I wanted to hit as many of the targets as possible... but I've finally decided.  I'd go with a Sennheiser HD 558.

 

While it's not the most sensitive headphone out there, it should be okay provided that you don't listen at a high volume.

 

Here's Jude's write-up from the recent Head-Fi 2013 Winter Gift Guide:  http://www.head-fi.org/a/2013-head-fi-winter-gift-guide-over-ear-headphones#user_sennheiser_hd-558_hd-598

 

And these just happen to be on sale right now for only $128.50 over at Amazon:  http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-504631-HD-558-Headphones/dp/B004FEEY9A/

 

Hope that helps!  :smile:

post #8 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post
 

 

Thanks!  Okay, this wasn't easy, as I wanted to hit as many of the targets as possible... but I've finally decided.  I'd go with a Sennheiser HD 558.

 

While it's not the most sensitive headphone out there, it should be okay provided that you don't listen at a high volume.

 

Here's Jude's write-up from the recent Head-Fi 2013 Winter Gift Guide:  http://www.head-fi.org/a/2013-head-fi-winter-gift-guide-over-ear-headphones#user_sennheiser_hd-558_hd-598

 

And these just happen to be on sale right now for only $128.50 over at Amazon:  http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-504631-HD-558-Headphones/dp/B004FEEY9A/

 

Hope that helps!  :smile:

Hey thanks. I greatly appreciate the time you took to help me out

post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagman1 View Post

 

Hey thanks. I greatly appreciate the time you took to help me out

 

You're totally welcome, and happy holidays!  :smile:

post #10 of 11

No one mentioned AKG K550, I loved it with progressive house. Nice extended bass and an overall smooth sound. 

post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headzone View Post
 

No one mentioned AKG K550, I loved it with progressive house. Nice extended bass and an overall smooth sound. 

Too much money :(

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Sub-$150 phones for a very particular style of electronic music