or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Are there any Closed Back headphones that sound like Open Back headphones?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Are there any Closed Back headphones that sound like Open Back headphones?

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 

I understand that there isn't a chance this would work well. I know that open-back headphones have a better stage and that the music isn't sounding stuck in your head. Is there any headphones out there that are closed but sound as good as open back? If so can you list them for me please, thanks in advance

post #2 of 7

No--but some like the the SRH 940 and (per reviews) the NAD Electronics VISO HP50 may come the closest.  What is your budget?

post #3 of 7
Thread Starter 

My budget is around £200-300. I am using the STX but will soon have the M-Stage 

post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morph91 View Post
 

My budget is around £200-300. I am using the STX but will soon have the M-Stage 

AKG K550 headphones, great prices for used and factory refurb (from HarmanAudio) on eBay.

Audio Technica ATH-A900X, with Hifiman Velour ear pads

 

Plug then straight into the Essence STX

 

Check out the Audio Technica ATH-W1000X headphones, they are at your budget maximum.

Ok to order them straight from Japan, but would not order them from other parts of Asia.

I've been thinking of replacing my ATH-A900Xs with the ATH-W1000Xs

 

If your looking for something a little better then the Essence STX,

Check out the Audio-GD NFB-15.32 (and sell off the Essence STX)

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1532/NFB15.32EN.htm

post #5 of 7

KRK KNS8400 is comparatively open sounding. I didn't find SRH940 much more open than the others. If it seemed that way, I'd be tempted to attribute it to its being bright.

post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claritas View Post
 

KRK KNS8400 is comparatively open sounding. I didn't find SRH940 much more open than the others. If it seemed that way, I'd be tempted to attribute it to its being bright.


I hear them just the opposite.  I like the KRK a great deal, but it's typical of the studio can that it is.  Good separation; not much sound stage.  On the other hand, a well powered 940 (it needs an amp) has a very large sound stage--for a closed can.

post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post


I hear them just the opposite.  I like the KRK a great deal, but it's typical of the studio can that it is.  Good separation; not much sound stage.  On the other hand, a well powered 940 (it needs an amp) has a very large sound stage--for a closed can.

 

Maybe I misunderstood because I wasn't referring to soundstage; I was referring to sounding like an open model. You're right that SRH940 has better soundstage than KNS8400, but it sounds more like a closed model. Consider that even SRH840 has better soundstage than KNS8400, and it certainly sounds more closed.

 

I actually spoke to a department head at Shure about amping for 840/940 (this was before I tried them), and he told me that neither needs an amp. So that's the official word, but I agree with you that amping improves them.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Are there any Closed Back headphones that sound like Open Back headphones?