or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Magni vs. Asgard 2

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 

Hey guys,

 

So I recently got my first real DAC (the TEAC-UDH01). Right now I'm using it's built in headphone amplifier but before I go off to school next year I want to get a standalone amp for it. I'm expecting this amp to last for at least 6-7 years and drive everything I have now.


I have the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pros (16 Ohms), Sennheiser HD 558s (50 Ohms) and the Beyerdyamic DT990 600 Ohm. 

 

Is there are a major difference between audio quality between these two? I like that the Asgard 2 has the line outs but if that is really the only difference then it isn't worth $150 extra to me. I feel like the Magni will barely be an upgrade over the built in amplifier on my DAC. 


What do people that have the Asgard 2 and the Magni think?

post #2 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy205100 View Post
 

So I recently got my first real DAC (the TEAC-UDH01). Right now I'm using it's built in headphone amplifier but before I go off to school next year I want to get a standalone amp for it. I'm expecting this amp to last for at least 6-7 years and drive everything I have now.


I have the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pros (16 Ohms), Sennheiser HD 558s (50 Ohms) and the Beyerdyamic DT990 600 Ohm. 

 

Is there are a major difference between audio quality between these two? I like that the Asgard 2 has the line outs but if that is really the only difference then it isn't worth $150 extra to me. I feel like the Magni will barely be an upgrade over the built in amplifier on my DAC. 


What do people that have the Asgard 2 and the Magni think?

Why can't you just use the Teac UDH01 to drive your headphones?

Or does it's amplifier lack power?

post #3 of 9
Thread Starter 

I'm using it now. It's definitely a step up from the receiver I was using before and powers everything fine. But I feel like it's muddying up the sound because it just sounds meh and as a DAC the UD-H01 got top marks. The amplifier on this also seems like an afterthought, especially since it has balanced outputs. 

post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy205100 View Post
 

I'm using it now. It's definitely a step up from the receiver I was using before and powers everything fine. But I feel like it's muddying up the sound because it just sounds meh and as a DAC the UD-H01 got top marks. The amplifier on this also seems like an afterthought, especially since it has balanced outputs. 

What sources are you connecting to the Teac?

Using which connection?

post #5 of 9
Thread Starter 

I'm using my computer connected via USB. I tried my computer with TOSLINK and it sounded horrible so I went back to USB. But I tried my Xbox with optical and it was fine. So I guess USB is just better for computers. This box is great because it does so much, but I think the amp might be the weak link. 

 

Do you have any experience with the durability of optical connectors? I've heard they're fragile which could be an issue because I am planning on swapping out the Xbox with a CD player fairly regularly.

 

And this is maybe just me being paranoid but can the laser coming out of the optical cable when you unplug it blind or cause any injury?

post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy205100 View Post
 

I'm using my computer connected via USB. I tried my computer with TOSLINK and it sounded horrible so I went back to USB. But I tried my Xbox with optical and it was fine. So I guess USB is just better for computers. This box is great because it does so much, but I think the amp might be the weak link. 

 

Do you have any experience with the durability of optical connectors? I've heard they're fragile which could be an issue because I am planning on swapping out the Xbox with a CD player fairly regularly.

 

And this is maybe just me being paranoid but can the laser coming out of the optical cable when you unplug it blind or cause any injury?

USB is very automated and bypasses a computer's sound card.

Where as if the sound card has incorrect setting, optical may not work, or not work well.

Both a computer and an xBox, would have to be set to 2-channel stereo audio, to be able to work with the Teac (no surround sound).

Never heard of anyone getting blinded by an optical cable, I would guess optical is about equal to a low powered flashlight?

post #7 of 9
Thread Starter 

Thanks for the answers. So what do you think about the magni and asgard?

post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy205100 View Post
 

Thanks for the answers. So what do you think about the Magni and Asgard?

I would guess the Magni for be enough for you.

post #9 of 9

I've been reading so many replies and reviews how the O2, Magni and Vali sound the same. After weeks of listening to all of them, (yes I have them all) they are all not exactly the same . I've been using the same music and all else in the system is the same and have only changed the amps. Started with O2, then went to Magni. Yes the Magni and O2 sound very close. The Magni does sound a tad processed and thin compared to O2 but the Magni does have more authority as it is more powerful in comparison even though they all seem to struggle reproducing the source.

 

Then I went to the Vali. The Vali sounds nothing like the others. It's slightly more smoother and warmer, more of a natural sound but ever so slightly, and more realistic sounding. I was enjoying it very much for weeks. Then I decided to get the Asgard 2. Why? I read so much about it I just had to try it. The Vali also seem to struggle reproducing the source which makes sense as it's less powerful.

 

I have to say the Asgard 2 is is not like any of the others. Why have some said there is no difference? I'm suspecting what is happening is that people are not using high resolution (or not high enough resolution) tracks or headphones to distinguish the difference OR they just don't hear the difference due to their hearing biology. As a side note: I also did an electronic spectrum hearing test to verify my hearing at different frequencies to eliminate that factor, and I passed 100%. 

 

The Asgard 2; is in a whole other class. The Asgard 2 with the same headphones (HE-400) sound way more detailedrealisticbassierdeeper, smoother and wider is the best way to explain it with all else in the system being the same. The Mids seem more forward and lush. The Asgard 2 does not appear to add any color to the sound, but I may say on a scale from 1-100% if I had to say how much I think it does add coloration, maybe 10-20% which is not relevant to be considered significant, it's a really tiny amount but pleasant. The gain is also contributing to the level of authority also as it does have more gain than all the others even though it's also rated at 32 ohms at 1.0W RMS.

 

As for noise (hiss); No hiss at any volume level either on High or Low gain either connected or not connected to a source with HE-400, so if you have higher impedance headphones there should be no worries.

 

As for humming; it's there, but like others have stated, it's barely noticeable to non existent and that is a huge exaggeration even, at least for my model. My findings are this; you have to be in a dead silent room and paste your ear on the chassis right over the transformer to hear it and even then it's so tiny of a sound there is no way anyone can hear this humming unless they are intentionally trying to hear it. Even if you put your ear on top of the amp over the grill area or to the side where the transformer is located, you can't hear it still. If your ear is 1" away from the same location you just can't possibly hear it unless you are super human! Shiit has done an excellent job in resolving this issue as others have stated overall.

 

As for the volume knob getting warm, it's true but nothing unbearable. But here is a tip if it really bothers you or yours gets possibly hotter than you like. I have done this with all my Shiit amps but not due to heat issues but just ease of turning the volume knob. Get 3 O-rings that are a tad smaller in diameter than the volume knob and stretch them over the volume knob.  On the Asgard 2 it makes it easier to turn the volume knob also but the added advantage is you won't feel any heat off the knob. Plus it looks nice too!

 

My serial is 002026 so I would hope all higher models do not have any of these issues or that they don't creep back into production. So for anyone that is thinking about the Asgard 2, YES it's worth it. You WILL hear a difference with respect to what was mentioned above about headphones, music quality rate and biology. This amp just sound like an actual amp, it sounds "real" while the others mentioned sound like they're struggling to making an effort to process the sound, but the Asgard 2 seems to do it effortlessly with authority is another nice way to describe it. 

 

I hope this helps anyone who maybe interested in the Asgard 2. 

 

Cheers.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home