Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Unique Melody Mentor debut in Tokyo e-earphone festival
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Unique Melody Mentor debut in Tokyo e-earphone festival - Page 53

post #781 of 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMusicJunkie View Post

Well, that's.... Not helpful.
So, if K10 is a maybe, what's a DEFINITELY??

You need to hear it youself, at home for few days,  Roxanne and Mentor, 2 totally different IEMS, the Rox has smooth mid and low hitting bass when recording calls, with some music, the treble felt like someone use a knife cut the top, it has good soundstage, width and depth, it just song weird with it's flat top trebles.

That is just me, I know people in this forum who love their Rox to death. I personally like colored sound sig, Roxanne sound very nature.

 

Mentor's sparking highs is unique, highs are extended but not harsh, it is fun to listen, and I mainly go after the fun.

 

I only listened to the K10 at the show, sound very good but nothing excited me.

 

I am sorry I couldn't offer more help as I only have limited knowledge in my short headfi journey.

post #782 of 792
Great. That is helpful, thank you. I think I'm going to go for the mentors at this point. Thanks again, guys!
post #783 of 792

I wish I could demo the Mentor here in Japan.  We have the UM Mason, the `other` flagship, and I prefer it to the K10U, and the Layla.  I`m still not clear exactly what the differences between the Mason and Mentor are, if it`s just a different tuning or if there are a different array/number of BAs.  

post #784 of 792
Thanks. I've heard mason and mentor are very close.
I put a post in the k10 thread, and wondering if the opinions are going to be slanted to it, just as the mentor thread is slanted.
However, I've always wanted to custom design my own set, so it's pretty much decided!
post #785 of 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopaminer View Post
 

I wish I could demo the Mentor here in Japan.  We have the UM Mason, the `other` flagship, and I prefer it to the K10U, and the Layla.  I`m still not clear exactly what the differences between the Mason and Mentor are, if it`s just a different tuning or if there are a different array/number of BAs.  


Mason' vocal is a bit forward and more lush, it sound a bit more thick than the Mentor, stage wise, Mason has bigger sound, but the Mentor still wins with it's trebles, they sound very similar, you are not selling the Mason for the Mentor, aren't you?

post #786 of 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmingli View Post
 


Mason' vocal is a bit forward and more lush, it sound a bit more thick than the Mentor, stage wise, Mason has bigger sound, but the Mentor still wins with it's trebles, they sound very similar, you are not selling the Mason for the Mentor, aren't you?

Mason's treble was intentionally rolled off a bit to adapt better to the Japanese market taste. I read that in one of the Chinese forums.

post #787 of 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chodi View Post
 

Mason's treble was intentionally rolled off a bit to adapt better to the Japanese market taste. I read that in one of the Chinese forums.

Really, the Japanese people don't like treble?

post #788 of 792

UM is confusing with all these limited edition/japan market models. It sort of makes them look inconsistent and impulsive trying too hard to grab attention even though it might be good business for them.

 

Seems like the Mentor is still considered the current flagship according to their website(s) though.

 

Looking forward to the release of the RE-1000, which is something different and refreshing compared to the BA racing game.

post #789 of 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmingli View Post
 

Really, the Japanese people don't like treble?

Sometimes we forget they have their own music. They do listen to Western music and some are into classical music but the comment in the forum said they tuned it for Japanese vocals. Not my opinion I own the Mentor and never heard the Mason, Just what I read. From various comments I think the treble issue is only a matter of degree. It's not like they chopped off the treble. I can't compare them so all I know is what I read.

post #790 of 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopaminer View Post
 

I wish I could demo the Mentor here in Japan.  We have the UM Mason, the `other` flagship, and I prefer it to the K10U, and the Layla.  I`m still not clear exactly what the differences between the Mason and Mentor are, if it`s just a different tuning or if there are a different array/number of BAs.  

 

I auditioned the Mason when I was at E-Earphone. I was suitably impressed with their sound. They had a wider soundstage with slightly better instrument separation and imaging than the Mentor. Midrange was more balanced with a well rounded tonality. However, vocals on the Mason were not as prominent or as authoritative as those on the Mentor. Bass was lean with good texture and punch. I actually preferred the bass on the Mentor, as it had a slightly higher boost in the mid-bass region. Treble had good reach, was just as detailed and clear as the Mentor. However, the highs on the Mason were a tad less controlled and a bit more sibilant than on the Mentor.

 

Overall, I found the Mason a good upgrade from the Miracle. However, they are quite different sounding when compared to the Mentor, owing to the latter's more energetic and fun sound signature.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMusicJunkie View Post

Thanks. I've heard mason and mentor are very close.
I put a post in the k10 thread, and wondering if the opinions are going to be slanted to it, just as the mentor thread is slanted.
However, I've always wanted to custom design my own set, so it's pretty much decided!

 

Trust me, the Noble fans are quite boisterous and passionate about the K10. :wink: And if you do get one, you'll understand why.

post #791 of 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by uli87 View Post
 

UM is confusing with all these limited edition/japan market models. It sort of makes them look inconsistent and impulsive trying too hard to grab attention even though it might be good business for them.

 

Seems like the Mentor is still considered the current flagship according to their website(s) though.

 

 

To make things more confusing we also have the Unique Melody Maverick 5-BA universal here, which I heard is Japan-only. 

post #792 of 792

Yeah heard about those as well. Still a 5 driver set up like the Merlin but DD+BA for bass while the mids get 1 BA and highs get 2BA drivers. Could be interesting and it may be that the bass is even more defined that way, but perhaps there's a loss in the sweet mids.

 

It could also be just plain marketing and that they could theoretically tune both setups to sound pretty much the same if they wanted. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Unique Melody Mentor debut in Tokyo e-earphone festival