Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations ›  Shure SE215 - RANTING! READ THIS BEFORE BUYING WRONG HEADPHONES or IEM
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shure SE215 - RANTING! READ THIS BEFORE BUYING WRONG HEADPHONES or IEM  

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 

So I was stupid listened to some peoples advice on this forum few years ago and bought these (Shure SE215) IN EAR CANAL EARPHONES or IEM or whatever, for music listening.

 

Lots of time has passed since I purchased those horrible earphones, I took up music professionally and get to work with some famous people, not directly, but I am getting there.
I figured I would clear some things up for people getting into this, and for some compulsive spenders who are in denial.

 

I made a horrible choice of getting Shure SE215 probably many of you do/did/will do as well, I am not talking about the particular model, I am talking about the particular design. These were designed for syncing of music on stage while singing. Their sound quality only need to match the minimum required. They hurt your ears after wearing them for more than 30 minutes, and if they cost $200 more than this $100 model, they will not be more comfortable stop lying to yourselves, they might sound slightly better.

 

I let my inexperienced friend listen to these, she hated them, she said her ear hurt, the sound was worse than on her old iPhone ear buds.

 

[img]http://cdn.head-fi.org/7/7b/7b9c4170_904117181_fdQME-XL.jpg [/img]

I AM TALKING ABOUT THIS SPECIFIC DESIGN

 

Their design is to eliminate noise, sync you up with instruments, and  I don't understand how most of you (I assume have nothing to do with performing, but just enjoy music) are buying these headphones with the horrible sound they produce. You are paying for the invisible design, sound isolation, sound syncing, then you pay hundreds and hundreds to compensate for horrible sound quality to make it a little better. While being in constant pain after about 30 minutes of wear. I can prove this, put rubber sound isolating foam in your ears and stay like that for more than 30 minutes, I dare you not to pull them out with relieve.

 

My old iPhone buds sounded much better than Shure SE215, yes yes I know the bass has to be punchy and not muddy, don't understand how this is a problem if you can EQ it, and don't understand how this is a problem for "syncing design earphones" as they don't have bass at all, other than faint punchy base to give you the proper beat.

 

Same goes for STUDIO HEADPHONES, which sometimes cost outrageously because the industry makes stupid money. These headphones ARE NOT DESIGNED FOR MUSIC LISTENING. They are designed to hear certain things, and to eliminate other things while singing in the studio and recording your music, still some of you "experts" believe you are getting a premium sound quality lol.

 

Same goes for GAMING HEADPHONES, they are not designed for music.

 

Conclusion, if you want great sound quality, go with either cheaper Dj headphones - these tend to have very wide frequency range, but you will sacrifice comfort, which you can solve by buying more comfortable ear cushions. Or go with more expensive headphones for "home listening," they will have frequency line just as wide, and they will be much more comfortable to wear, but they will be much more expensive. If you just need earphones to listen to music on the go then your iPhone buds or some nice warranted BOSE will do the job perfectly well. If however you just look to waste your money away then disregard everything I just said and knock yourselves out.

 

Mods who read this and rage do not delete my thread, I made it to help new users, I offer my "expertise" and it is my right to do so, if you disagree fight back with a constructive argument.

post #2 of 18

I suggest you look into the concept of subjectivity, krane, then come back and see if you still think it wise to insinuate that people who like something you don't are deluded idiots. Your argument seems to boil down to this:

 

1. "I don't find these comfortable". That's fine, but a lot of people do.

2. "These sound worse than ibuds". That's also fine, but I'll respectfully suggest that you're out of your damn mind on that particular point :etysmile:

 

I don't know what you have against studio headphones. If you're arguing that something like a dt880 or hd800 doesn't have genuinely high sound quality, then once again, I think you're speaking out your rear end.

post #3 of 18

Krane,

 

For me, the SE215 really doesn't offer good value for money. I mostly suggest other IEMs for those looking at SE215. I believe the Vsonic's offer excellent value for money with their SQ than Shures and those forumers also rate the Vsonics highly.

 

BOSE also doesn't offer good value for money.


Edited by zamorin - 12/22/13 at 7:18am
post #4 of 18

I read your post, attempted to reply, then had to read again because I just can't comprehend what you're saying.

I'm literally lost for words right now.

post #5 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeretixAevum View Post

 

1. "I don't find these comfortable". That's fine, but a lot of people do.

2. "These sound worse than ibuds". That's also fine, but I'll respectfully suggest that you're out of your damn mind on that particular point :etysmile:

 

I don't know what you have against studio headphones. If you're arguing that something like a dt880 or hd800 doesn't have genuinely high sound quality, then once again, I think you're speaking out your rear end.

 

do you understand why studio headphones are called studio headphones? no matter how good you think they sound, they have specific requirements, and one of those requirements is to play certain things and eliminate other things.

 

do you know what those sync earbuds are really for? yes they are uncomfortable, put the sound isolating foam in your ears for an hour, this is the same exact thing, plus nobody needs to isolate all sounds while walking down the street that's just dangerous, you do that at home with your crazy family, even then headphones would  be more appropriate

 

its like buying Ferrari for offroad driving, it will do it, you might even a enjoy it a little, but its not made for that!

post #6 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zamorin View Post
 

Krane,

 

For me, the SE215 really doesn't offer good value for money. I mostly suggest other IEMs for those looking at SE215. I believe the Vsonic's offer excellent value for money with their SQ than Shures and those forumers also rate the Vsonics highly.

 

BOSE also doesn't offer good value for money.


Well then Vsonic, unlike Shure probably realized that people buy these for music listening, Shure probably keeps it business only not mixing it with pleasure.

As per BOSE, they are overpriced yes, but at least they don't give you the danger of sound isolating, they are comfortable, and still sound okay-good

post #7 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraken2109 View Post
 

I read your post, attempted to reply, then had to read again because I just can't comprehend what you're saying.

I'm literally lost for words right now.

good, don't buy IEMs

post #8 of 18

Well this one brightened up my day no end :)

post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRANE View Post
 

do you understand why studio headphones are called studio headphones? no matter how good you think they sound, they have specific requirements, and one of those requirements is to play certain things and eliminate other things.

 

do you know what those sync earbuds are really for? yes they are uncomfortable, put the sound isolating foam in your ears for an hour, this is the same exact thing, plus nobody needs to isolate all sounds while walking down the street that's just dangerous, you do that at home with your crazy family, even then headphones would  be more appropriate

 

its like buying Ferrari for offroad driving, it will do it, you might even a enjoy it a little, but its not made for that!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subjectivity

 

Uh huh, tell me exactly what studio headphones 'eliminate' from their sound, because I guarantee that ibuds eliminate a lot more. They eliminate quality pretty well, don't even get me started on soundstaging, instrument separation, detail retrieval, bass extension etc.

 

Yes, I know the Shures are designed primarily for on-stage performers, but if you think that's a solid rational to justify your skewed perception that "Their sound quality only need to match the minimum required." then you're just making yourself look stupid. I don't know if you're a musician (I'd be pretty surprised based on the things you're saying) but performers need a clear grasp of what's going on around them, music wise. They have cues to wait for, timing to align etc. It's useful, imperative actually, for them to be able to hear the whole range clearly and the se215's do that.

 

Yes, they are uncomfortable to you. Finding the right tips is one of the biggest challenges about getting into IEMs, don't be surprised if the stock ones included don't do it for you. And for some people, they just don't like having things in their ear at all, and that's fine. Everybody has a different ear canal, and has different levels of sensitivity to pressure and the various textures of tips. You can't just say "MY EXPERIENCE IS FINAL, IT IS NOW DECREED UNDER GLORIOUS SOCIALIST PARTY OF KRANE, IN EAR MONITORS ARE DECLARED UNCOMFORTABLE FOR ALL!". Believe it or not, some people do find them comfortable. Deal with it.

 

Oh, and *choke, gasp* there are uses outside of 'walking around town' for IEMs. I agree, I don't like extreme isolation when out and about, it is indeed dangerous. However, for travelling purposes, well isolating IEMs are awesome. Really, really good for long plane and train trips. Also really good for use in bed because you won't disturb a partner, and they sit flush inside your ear so you can actually lay your head against the pillow. And of course, the use they're made for, performing. There are musicians out there who will use these for personal listening use and performing.

 

Don't blame the product if you bought it for the wrong type of application.

post #10 of 18

Hey guys - don't feed the troll.  Just let the thread die.

 

If you re-read his post:

  1. Apparently took up music 'professionally', knows some 'famous people' - yet doesn't know what a studio monitor does (that claim about masking frequencies made me laugh).
  2. Claims we are all deluded
  3. Claims ibud quality is better
  4. Talks about 'syncing design' (what does that mean)?
  5. Claims Bose is better / decent as far as SQ goes.
  6. Claims "DJ" headphones give better sound quality than studio monitors.  Apparently the DJ phones have a 'wide frequency range' yet studio monitors don't.  Give me a break.
  7. And the comfort thing is laughable.  I've owned the Se420, SE425, SE315, and now the SE535.  With the right tips (I use the Olives), they're very comfortable (I sleep with them on long-hauls). 

 

I'd wager he's a bored kid and simply looking for a trolling opportunity, and it's not even subtle or clever.  I've reported the post.  Just let it die (IE no matter what he posts, don't respond).

post #11 of 18

i'm sorry, but this is not a User review, its just a stupid flaming hater thread.

 

- Studio Headphones are not good for Music Listening? Why not? Because its "studio" in their name? Tell me some exact technical reasons for this.

Just like "Gaming Headphones" are made for Gaming, and better for Gaming than Hifi-Headphones? comeon man.. use your Brain and you should figure out that this logic is completely false. Also because "GAMING HEADSETS" only have the word "gaming" in it, so they can get 50 more bucks from you. Its called Marketing. Put Gaming in the package, and its twice as expensive. Every studio/hifi headphone is MUCH better at Gaming, than every single Gaming Headset out there.

 

Headphones are doing 1 plain simple thing. Converting electic signals into Sonic waves. Take a Studio Headphone, and a Hifi Headphone. theres absolutely no difference between this. What makes the Studio headphone a "Studio" is more a spiral cable, and a high Pressure on your head so they dont fall down, and more solid build, so they dont break as easily. On Sound, theres no difference. See the DT 770 Pro (studio) and DT 770 Edition (hifi enjoyment for Music). They pretty much sound the same, because they have the same drivers. The Pros are just slightly more bassy, because of a higher pressure. So tell me, how is the dt 770 Pro not good for enjoying music, while the dt 770 Edition is?

 

Its up to you (the USER) which sounding he prefers. Look at the DT 770 Pro. Studio headphones, but they are totally **** for this. They are very bassy, and the highs are too much too. This is NOT Neutral, what you want to have in a Studio while producing Music. A neutral AKG K701 (a 100% Hifi headphone) is much better for producing Music, than most "studio headphones", just because the K701 is very analytic and neutral.

So what? Ignore the word before, and see the product itself.

A Studio Headphone is exactly as good for listening and enjoying music, as an hifi-Headphone. As long the Headphone sits soft enough on your head, and fulfils your requirements (much bass, less bass, open/closed etc).

 

If you dont know this, then you are more than far from beeing anywhere near "professional".

 

- Oh, it doe not fit well into your ears? Why didnt you just gave them back and got another one? your own mistake here. in my ears they fit wonderful. Much better than every other in-ear, i have ever tried, who has not the cable over the ear.

This construction is NOT made for syncing the voice on stage, its more because it sits BETTER in your ears this way, and dont fall out as easy as apple earbuds/in-ears, or any inears who dont have this construction. Noone on the Stage want do keep plugging them in again because they fell out. And when i walk through the city, i dont either.

This construction sits better, reduces cable noice etc.

Why buy these, if you dont like it? This does not make the product by itself worse, because YOU dont like it. i do.

 

- They sound aweful? What exactly dont you like? Are they too bassy? its well known, that they have a strong punchy bass, and low highs. Its a dark sounding. Nothing good or bad. Its good for those, who want this, and bad for those, who want another sounding. Thats why theres more than 1 in-ear on the market.

 

- You seem not to understand what an Equalizer exactly does. It JUST reduces or raises the volume level of certain Frequenzies.

You can make a Neutral headphone more bassy with an EQ, because with raised Bass, it will just show you the bass louder than the rest.

You can NOT make a muddy bass more solid or Punchy. Which means, you cannot change or even raise the Sound quality with an EQ. Only change its tonal specs. And for the most part, if you RAISE the Bass volume with an EQ, its quality will fast drop. More bass, but less punchy/precise.

 

To be honest, with your "Gaming" and "studio" arguments, you seem more like a Marketing victim, who believes, Razer is the best choise you can have for gaming, and hifi headphones arent good for gaming because theres no gaming in their name. Seriously..

 

i Cannot go with ANY of your arguments here. The Shure SE 215 are GREAT in-ears, and in my Opionion, if you like strong bass, they are the absolute best choise for that Price. No others will give you such a good fit (at least for most Ears), a SOLID construction, a thicker solid cable which is also removeable. These things you're most likely not finding anywhere in this price range.

In its tonality the only thing which might be some hurtful, is a small Peak at 5000~ Hz.

 

But here again. These facts are well known. If you dont like it, buy another. Its like im starting a flame post about the AKG K701 because they dont have enough bass, instead of sending them back and get another one with more bass.

 

- i also dont believe, that your friend really find these trashy apple earbuds better (which have like Zero bass). i bet she used them with completely wrong complys, or a wrong size on them, and there were not a correct Seal. Without seal, in-ears have almost no bass, and sound aweful.

 

By the Way. in MY optionion, you can also use Studio monitors for enjoying Music, if you like the neutral and analytical sound.

i mean, theres absolutely no argument at all, why you should not be able to enjoy the music that way its produced, if you prefer that.


Edited by Darkseth - 12/22/13 at 1:52pm
post #12 of 18

I just thought of another thing that makes Krane's argument null and void, the se215's don't even sound anything like studio headphones. They're very coloured, to the point that many would argue (probably myself, too) that they'd downright bad for monitoring and much more suitable as pleasurable listening. They're way too warm for critical listening.

post #13 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseth View Post
 

i'm sorry, but this is not a User review, its just a stupid flaming hater thread.

 

5. - Studio Headphones are not good for Music Listening? Why not? Because its "studio" in their name? Tell me some exact technical reasons for this.

Just like "Gaming Headphones" are made for Gaming, and better for Gaming than Hifi-Headphones? comeon man.. use your Brain and you should figure out that this logic is completely false. Also because "GAMING HEADSETS" only have the word "gaming" in it, so they can get 50 more bucks from you. Its called Marketing. Put Gaming in the package, and its twice as expensive. Every studio/hifi headphone is MUCH better at Gaming, than every single Gaming Headset out there.

 

 

6. Its up to you (the USER) which sounding he prefers.

 

 

- They sound aweful? What exactly dont you like? Are they too bassy? its well known, that they have a strong punchy bass, and low highs. Its a dark sounding. Nothing good or bad. Its good for those, who want this, and bad for those, who want another sounding. Thats why theres more than 1 in-ear on the market.

 

4. - You seem not to understand what an Equalizer exactly does. It JUST reduces or raises the volume level of certain Frequenzies.

You can make a Neutral headphone more bassy with an EQ, because with raised Bass, it will just show you the bass louder than the rest.

You can NOT make a muddy bass more solid or Punchy. Which means, you cannot change or even raise the Sound quality with an EQ. Only change its tonal specs. And for the most part, if you RAISE the Bass volume with an EQ, its quality will fast drop. More bass, but less punchy/precise.

 

7. To be honest, with your "Gaming" and "studio" arguments, you seem more like a Marketing victim, who believes, Razer is the best choise you can have for gaming, and hifi headphones arent good for gaming because theres no gaming in their name. Seriously..

 

1.   i Cannot go with ANY of your arguments here. The Shure SE 215 are GREAT in-ears, and in my Opionion, if you like strong bass, they are the absolute best choise for that Price. No others will give you such a good fit (at least for most Ears), a SOLID construction, a thicker solid cable which is also removeable. These things you're most likely not finding anywhere in this price range.

In its tonality the only thing which might be some hurtful, is a small Peak at 5000~ Hz.

 

2. - i also dont believe, that your friend really find these trashy apple earbuds better (which have like Zero bass). i bet she used them with completely wrong complys, or a wrong size on them, and there were not a correct Seal. Without seal, in-ears have almost no bass, and sound aweful.

 

3. By the Way. in MY optionion, you can also use Studio monitors for enjoying Music, if you like the neutral and analytical sound.

i mean, theres absolutely no argument at all, why you should not be able to enjoy the music that way its produced, if you prefer that.

1. what are you talking about, they have horrible bass, I EQd the crap out of them to max bass and I didnt hear anything substantial, my old ran through iphone buds honestly sounded better.

IN GENERAL if an audiophile, real audiophile that is REALLY OCD about his music would never buy earphones in general, headphones only, earbuds have horrible frequency response, especially the one mentioned..

 

2. I dont know whether you ever tried using apple earphones but they are pretty bassy, especially if you have some run on them, they generally have very nice sound, especially the new ones that came out with iphone 5 and 5s 5c.

 

3. I have used studio headphones they are usually huge and have a long ass cables which cost a lot even though in reality it does absolutely nothing, other than having a good insulator so there is no loss in quality, there wouldn't be anyway, but THEY ARE OPENED HEADPHONES, get it? OPENED, where do you use open headphones? oh I suppose in the underground sound recording studio where there is absolutely no other noise other than your singing. Not even mentioning the insane amplifiers, or two of them, you would need to carry with your selves to get the sound you want without introducing any extra noise.

 

What anyone really needs for general home use is comfort, closed headphones, so nobody can hear your music if you are on the airplane or something, with a nice short maybe coiled cable. People, Audiophiles, looking for good sound should pay for the cans ONLY, not retarded designs, not the useless $800 cables that do nothing but save maybe 1-2% of the sound. You need to realize that this is designed to hear the noise on top of everything else, its absolutely unnecessary, at allll, you will not be getting a raw audio-file from a studio anyway so you will never be able to hear everything they hear, not to mention our limited 20-20 hearing.

 

4. Sure, only I've been able to make the ****tiest sounding speakers great by EQ'ing them, and generally if you lower the volume of the lowest frequencies and increase the mid-low frequencies ~200 Hz you will actually get punchy sound, haven't you ever experimented?

 

5. - no not because studio is their name, but because studio is their specification. I know you are thinking oh its headphones, oh they have a nice 5-50 line or whatever, awesome. But in reality all these headphones priced over $300 are specific to the field they will be used for, getting open studio headphones is just unreasonable, its like using a hunting knife in a restaurant to cut up your lamb, they are open, they are huge, they are too powerful for home use, same goes for Dj headphones and comfort related issues, but at least those can be solved easily and you still get good frequency response and sound isolation.

 

6. okay

 

7. dont play games, dont know what you are talking about there, but I heard some gaming headphones, and from what I heard and was told, a lot of them have volume volume equalization, so you can hear someone crawling quietly, and down-toning loud explosions or whatever, I have watched a few gamers videos who used gaming headphones, I listened to those with mine, I couldn't hear what they heard, and I would jump up if there was something loud while they remained calm, this pretty much substantiated my friends claims


Edited by KRANE - 12/22/13 at 10:31pm
post #14 of 18

Bad troll is bad.

post #15 of 18

I've decided to unsub from this thread to avoid risking further brain damage.

 

Good day.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations ›  Shure SE215 - RANTING! READ THIS BEFORE BUYING WRONG HEADPHONES or IEM