or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Help Recommend a Set of Closed Circumaural Headphones!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Help Recommend a Set of Closed Circumaural Headphones!

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 

Hey all,

 

Been using my 80 ohm Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro's for close to 5 years now, and they are just now starting to have some problems.  There is some sort of break or short in the cable resulting in the right speaker only functioning intermittently.

 

I figured I could have them recabled, but I'm also wondering if the cost would be worth it for a set of 5 year old cans, or if it is just finally time to replace them.

 

I originally chose the 80ohm model due to not having an amplifier, but since then I have picked up a Schiit Audio Asgard, which I feel should probably power a ~250ohm set rather nicely.

 

I've always liked the feel and sound of closed circumaural cans, and the bassyness (without going crazy overboard) of the DT770 Pros has been nice, and as such my gut instinct is to just get a set of 250ohm DT770 Pro's, but I don't know how much has changed in the headphone market in the last 5 years since I last did research and bought my current ones.

 

I don't have a crazy budget.  I prefer to stay in the sub $200 range, but could be persuaded to go up to $300 if I come across a set that are really worth the extra money.

 

Any thoughts?

 

 

Thanks,

Matt

post #2 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlach View Post
 

Been using my 80 ohm Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro's for close to 5 years now, and they are just now starting to have some problems.  There is some sort of break or short in the cable resulting in the right speaker only functioning intermittently.

I figured I could have them recabled, but I'm also wondering if the cost would be worth it for a set of 5 year old cans, or if it is just finally time to replace them.

I originally chose the 80ohm model due to not having an amplifier, but since then I have picked up a Schiit Audio Asgard, which I feel should probably power a ~250ohm set rather nicely.

I've always liked the feel and sound of closed circumaural cans, and the bassyness (without going crazy overboard) of the DT770 Pros has been nice, and as such my gut instinct is to just get a set of 250ohm DT770 Pro's, but I don't know how much has changed in the headphone market in the last 5 years since I last did research and bought my current ones.

I don't have a crazy budget.  I prefer to stay in the sub $200 range, but could be persuaded to go up to $300 if I come across a set that are really worth the extra money.

Audio Technica ATH-A900X closed headphones, new $220.

Used on eBay, $150

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-Technica-ATH-A900X-Audiophile-Closed-Back-Dynamic-Headphones-/271350893448?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item3f2dc60b88

 

Hifiman Velour ear pads, $10+shipping

post #3 of 8
Re-cabling with high end cabling and new pads would save you $100 and you would have the same cans.

It's up to you if you want to pop open the Beyers or not.

I am surprised that they wore out after 60 months.

I used a pair of 880's for 13 years, PA usage, smoke, fog, alcohol, excessive volumes 5 hours a night, 4+ nights a week.

Only the pads needed replacing.
post #4 of 8

some closed options that are on discount right now include akg k545 is $200 on razerdogaudio & sony mdr-1r can be found sub-$200.

post #5 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post
 

Audio Technica ATH-A900X closed headphones, new $220.

Used on eBay, $150

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-Technica-ATH-A900X-Audiophile-Closed-Back-Dynamic-Headphones-/271350893448?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item3f2dc60b88

 

Hifiman Velour ear pads, $10+shipping

 

Thanks for the recommendation.

 

Since you havce both the DT 770 Pro's and the ATH-A900X's, how would you say they compare?   What would you say is each cans strength and weakness?

post #6 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marone View Post

Re-cabling with high end cabling and new pads would save you $100 and you would have the same cans.

It's up to you if you want to pop open the Beyers or not.

I am surprised that they wore out after 60 months.

I used a pair of 880's for 13 years, PA usage, smoke, fog, alcohol, excessive volumes 5 hours a night, 4+ nights a week.

Only the pads needed replacing.

 

Yeah, I was a little surprised too, especially considering these things have such a reputation for being built like tanks.   I haven't even been a hard user, just in home listening.

 

Are there good sources for the pads cheap?   I remember looking them up a while back, and my take was that after replacing the pads and doing the cable, I probably would have spent about half of what it would cost to get a new set, so my thought process was if I am going to spend that money, maybe I should research if there is anythng better out there, so I can finally upgrade to a higher impedance set while I'm at it :p

 

I've also considered some of the open models like the 880's and the 990's.   I'm not a total bass head, but I do like bass in my sound, and the 770s have been good in that regard for me.   So my guess is I'd probably not be very happy with the 880's.   I might like the 990's on the other hand, but I hear a lot of people complaining about sibilance with those...

 

When my 770s were new they were rather sibilant, but as they burned in it disappeared (either than or they broke in my ears, and I am more deaf in the higher frequencies now :p )  I wonder if I would find the 990s harsh.  I could always just eq them down a little bit on the high end if need be...

post #7 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by money4me247 View Post
 

some closed options that are on discount right now include akg k545 is $200 on razerdogaudio & sony mdr-1r can be found sub-$200.

 

Appreciate the suggestion!

 

How do you feel about those cans?   How do you think they'd compare to my current beyers?

post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlach View Post
 

Appreciate the suggestion! How do you feel about those cans? How do you think they'd compare to my current beyers?

sry haven't heard any beyers so i can't say.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Help Recommend a Set of Closed Circumaural Headphones!