New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Charlotte, NC Meet: April 19th 2014 - Page 27  

post #391 of 530

^^ You mean as far as an amp, or another complementary hp?

post #392 of 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellis-7 View Post

Any suggested pairings for the HE-500s?

 

I recommend a Foothills Porter.

 

If you mean amps... there will be a lot of amps there. Try your headphones on a variety of them!

post #393 of 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardgedee View Post

I recommend a Foothills Porter.

If you mean amps... there will be a lot of amps there. Try your headphones on a variety of them!

Nice recommendation! Always up for a good local brew trial.

Sorry for the lack of clarity, though. Starting from scratch, so looking at an amp and DAC.
Read a lot about the Bitfrost/Lyr combo for the HE-500. Haven't taken Schiit up on their 15 day trial yet.
Might after hearing them at the meet, though.

Since there will be so many pieces represented, was hoping to establish a short list...
post #394 of 530
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellis-7 View Post

Nice recommendation! Always up for a good local brew trial.

Sorry for the lack of clarity, though. Starting from scratch, so looking at an amp and DAC.
Read a lot about the Bitfrost/Lyr combo for the HE-500. Haven't taken Schiit up on their 15 day trial yet.
Might after hearing them at the meet, though.

Since there will be so many pieces represented, was hoping to establish a short list...

Yep there will be a lot of gear represented to get an idea. Though if your looking for something affordable to tide you over, you can't go wrong with a Schiit Modi and either Magni or Vali. I'd lean toward the Vali.
post #395 of 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWahl View Post

Yep there will be a lot of gear represented to get an idea. Though if your looking for something affordable to tide you over, you can't go wrong with a Schiit Modi and either Magni or Vali. I'd lean toward the Vali.

Thanks, JWhal. I know it usually depends on what you listen to.
For background music/car, I listen to most anything, but when sitting down to listen, I tend to enjoy Jazz , Blues and things like Tom Waits and Medeski, Martin and Woods.
Soundstage and imaging are really important to me, as well as open airy presentation.

Do your suggestions still stand, with those genres?
post #396 of 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWahl View Post


Yep there will be a lot of gear represented to get an idea. Though if your looking for something affordable to tide you over, you can't go wrong with a Schiit Modi and either Magni or Vali. I'd lean toward the Vali.
 

+1 Reading over the list i think all of schiit's gear should be represented at the meet, minus the valhalla (which wouldnt be the first choice for a he500 anyway)

post #397 of 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydoseofdaly View Post

+1 Reading over the list i think all of schiit's gear should be represented at the meet, minus the valhalla (which wouldnt be the first choice for a he500 anyway)

Yep - Was browsing that earlier, and saw they were well represented.
I've read lots of positive things about Schiit's equipment, and looking at the list, it appears it's not just talk.
Can't wait to hear it!
post #398 of 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellis-7 View Post

Nice recommendation! Always up for a good local brew trial.

Sorry for the lack of clarity, though. Starting from scratch, so looking at an amp and DAC.
Read a lot about the Bitfrost/Lyr combo for the HE-500. Haven't taken Schiit up on their 15 day trial yet.
Might after hearing them at the meet, though.

Since there will be so many pieces represented, was hoping to establish a short list...
Swing by and give the Emotiva MiniX a try. I plan on selling it at the meet for $150. Do a quick search and you'll see it's probably one of the best bang for the buck amps for the HE-500.
post #399 of 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWahl View Post

I've been in contact with Hifiman and they are going to try to send me an HE-560 demo to bring along to the meet. I'm not at my computer the rest of the week so I'll update the first page when I get back to my computer. I'm using my phone right now.

Thanks to everyone for being patient. Looking forward to this meet.

 

Sweet.  Fingers crossed.  Looking forward to the meet.  

 

Have you ever heard of Slappa?  They make backpacks/travel bags (most aimed at gamers I think) and cool headphone cases.  They're based in Charlotte actually.  I have a couple of their HP cases (really like 'em).  I was going to reach out to them and let them know about the meet in 'case' they wanted to swing by and bring some product to show.  If that's cool with you or if you want to reach out to them yourself, let me know.  

post #400 of 530
^ I'd like to see what they have to offer.
Edited by fatcat28037 - 4/6/14 at 2:26pm
post #401 of 530
I just purchased Muddy Waters, Folk Singer, a 1963 release that has been remastered as an SACD by Analogue productions. If you're a blues aficionado you gotta' heard this. Excellent.
post #402 of 530

^^ I have that. It's one of the best recordings that I own. Just outstanding. I believe that they did most of that album in one take around a single mike. Crazy, huh?

post #403 of 530
I've not heard the SACD version, but the MFSL version is outstanding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatcat28037 View Post

I just purchased Muddy Waters, Folk Singer, a 1963 release that has been remastered as an SACD by Analogue productions. If you're a blues aficionado you gotta' heard this. Excellent.
post #404 of 530

I'll be there.  I've attended the last several "canfests" in Charlotte, NC.  It'll be great to see everyone again.

 

I've have a Ray Samuels P-51, FiiO E-17/EO9K, Ultrasone 900's, Sennheiser 650's, iPhono preamp.

 

Not sure if I'll bring anything.  More interested in listening to new gear.....


Edited by Zennheiser - 4/6/14 at 12:40pm
post #405 of 530
I've been listening to this with my K1000, it's amazing. Great great recording. I've found a bunch of the old recordings, from 40, 50 60 years ago that are spot-on.
Off the top of my head is Harry Benafonte at Carnegie Hall recorded in 1959. It's a magnificent recording.

I'll bring the Harry Belafonte concert recording to the meet.
Edited by fatcat28037 - 4/6/14 at 2:08pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
This thread is locked