or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Do i really need to burn in my headphones?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Do i really need to burn in my headphones? - Page 3  

post #31 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShibeSuchBass View Post

I'm by no means anything remotely close to being an expert, but I think that people think they sound better because their mind is so convinced and subconsciously set to believe it will sound better after burning them in. Without them even knowing, their mind is imagining how much better it will sound and when they listen to them after, their mind thinks it does sound better because it forgot what it sounded like before, unless you listened to them for days before a burn in. That's all based off what I've learned in my Psychology class. Either way, even if I only think it sounds better, it will still soud better in my reality, hope you can understand that.

hahaah +1 for paying attention in class.

 

honestly, whether burn-in is real or not isn't really relevant. if ppl think that their headphones sound better after "burn-in," that's great for em. you can easily "burn-in" headphones through normal daily listening. No need to even leave em playing overnight with pink/white noise or do anything extra to "burn-in" headphones. if you want to leave your headphones playing for extended periods of time to "burn-in," just make sure they are at normal listening volumes (you can blow out your drivers if you leave em blasting for a long time).

 

just to me, it makes more logical sense to attribute the improvement of sound to your brain adjusting to the headphone's specific sound signature.

post #32 of 51
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by krismusic View Post

I'm impressed. You say that you are not an expert. Maybe not in audio (yet) but you were certainly listening in your Psychology class. Nice to hear a bit of informed logic on the subject.
To the OP. Personally I do not believe in burn in but playing music at normal listening levels for a couple of days will do no harm to the drivers.
Again personally I would not mess about playing weird tones or pink noise through them for extended periods.
Above all. Enjoy your new 'phones.
Thanks, its nice to take a class I actually am interested in lol. Anyways, if there's no harm in burning them in, its worth a shot of just trying it right?
post #33 of 51

are there any measurements about burn ins? Would like to see something official here ^^

Because i personally think, its your Brain that burns in and get used to the sounding. At least, this would seem more logic to me..

post #34 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseth View Post
 

are there any measurements about burn ins? Would like to see something official here ^^

Because i personally think, its your Brain that burns in and get used to the sounding. At least, this would seem more logic to me..

there are definitely too few scientific studies out there about burn-in to make any positive conclusion that it exists.

 

this would be a good read for those of you interested on the subject:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/testing-audibility-break-effects

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/evidence-headphone-break

 

of course, if you ever took a stats class, you would know that correlation does not equal causation and a sample size of one is as helpful as.... lol

 

edit: most consumer headphones are designed to play out of the box. i personally don't believe that most headphones are detailed enough for you to pick up the tiny variations in sound that would be caused by extended mechanical forces. i've tested it out w/ a few different $300 headphones and i personally could not hear any difference. I think the question of burn-in only really becomes an issue with the much higher-end luxury audiophile headphones that are so transparent that you can pick up on extremely subtle nuisances and micro-detail. either way, the sonic changes from burn-in would likely be very subtle and cannot possibly be as extreme as some people make it seem.


Edited by money4me247 - 12/22/13 at 2:14pm
post #35 of 51
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseth View Post

are there any measurements about burn ins? Would like to see something official here ^^
Because i personally think, its your Brain that burns in and get used to the sounding. At least, this would seem more logic to me..
Im doubtful that there are any official tests or research about burning in. Although, I am 100% sure that your mind does get used to the sound, it adapts to it and what used to sound weird, muffled, in your face, etc. will then sound normal once your mind gets used to it. That is just common sense and everyone experiences it; listen to your normal headphones, try some other cans, they sound weird or different right? now keep on using those for like a week, you will get used to them, now listen to your other headphones from the start, now they are the ones that sound weird right? Bottom line, your mind and body can mentally and physically adapt to many things, sound and audio being one of those things; that is another thing taught in Psychology.
Edited by ShibeSuchBass - 12/22/13 at 2:15pm
post #36 of 51
Someone earlier in this thread linked to a very good thread on the subject of burn in. It was from the Sound Science forum IIRC a very interesting area of the site.
There is mention on there of a test that I think it was a senior tech at Shure carried out. Measuring a pair of their phones fresh off production then again after 2500 hrs. No difference measured.
This subject will be debated until the end of time. Like cables.
All these things make tiny differences at most.
Others will insist the differences are night and day.
Check it out for yourself. Burn in at least does not cost you anything.
My advice for what it is worth is not to chase the last 10% of performance. Enjoy the 90%.
In this instance God is not in the details. IMHO.
post #37 of 51

Thats what i thought.

it doesnt hurt the phones to be "burned in".

i personally would just use them as i get them. Even IF there is a burn in phase, you will in the first days/weeks burn them in, and at the same time, allow your brain/mind to get used to the sound.

Otherwise, you let them get 200 hours for a week, then put them on your head the first time, and still need time to get used to this sounding.

post #38 of 51
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by money4me247 View Post

hahaah +1 for paying attention in class.

honestly, whether burn-in is real or not isn't really relevant. if ppl think that their headphones sound better after "burn-in," that's great for em. you can easily "burn-in" headphones through normal daily listening. No need to even leave em playing overnight with pink/white noise or do anything extra to "burn-in" headphones. if you want to leave your headphones playing for extended periods of time to "burn-in," just make sure they are at normal listening volumes (you can blow out your drivers if you leave em blasting for a long time).

just to me, it makes more logical sense to attribute the improvement of sound to your brain adjusting to the headphone's specific sound signature.
+10. That is exactly what I believe. Only thing I would like to add though is that if burn in works and is real, I think it would be better to do a burn in for like an entire day or multiple days rather than burning them in over the course of possibly a week of normal usage. I believe that because it would be better to get the best audio as a result of burning them in (again, this is if burn in really works and makes cans sound better) quickly and and straight away instead of slowly and over time. But, if the "theory" of burn in is purely mental, just normal use will be a "burn in" because your mind will get used to the sound over regular use and it will sound better to YOU- aka. burn in? Hope this makes sense, I strongly believe that is the case. Nevertheless, I will probably listen to them for a while with a few of my favorite songs, some youtube videos, and use them for playing COD Ghosts for a few games all to see how they sound, then burn them in for the rest of the day; the other possibility is I will fall in love with them right out of the box, get too lazy to burn them in or not want to because I won't be able to use them, and continue life with my new amazing headphones. Either way, I will keep you guys posted when I get them and I will probably do a full review, will link to that thread if I do.
post #39 of 51
I'll be very interested to read what you reckon.
post #40 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by money4me247 View Post
 

there are definitely too few scientific studies out there about burn-in to make any positive conclusion that it exists.

 

this would be a good read for those of you interested on the subject:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/testing-audibility-break-effects

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/evidence-headphone-break

 

 ...correlation does not equal causation and a sample size of one...

That about sums up the current state of burn-in.

There is an objective difference in electrical component responses over time (as expected), that could equate to a noticeable subjective improvement.

I would enjoy reading an in-depth scientific experiment on burn-in effect, I would consider digging through papers and possibly undertaking an experiment if I have enough time.

 

On a side note I bought a pair of V-Moda Crossfade LP on a whim at the recent sale on Amazon, they apparently have a significant burn-in effect according to various sources. After 24 hours of pink noise I found there to be a subjective noticeable difference.

post #41 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplesRevenge View Post
 

That about sums up the current state of burn-in.

There is an objective difference in electrical component responses over time (as expected), that could equate to a noticeable subjective improvement.

I would enjoy reading an in-depth scientific experiment on burn-in effect, I would consider digging through papers and possibly undertaking an experiment if I have enough time.

You know what I find the most amusing about Tydell's articles... if you were to extrapolate from his testing of one pair of headphones that significant burn-in exists for all headphones, then basically all his previous measurements of headphones would be rendered null & void as an additional variable of "time-on-for-burn-in" would become a factor. In fact, measurements as a standard for determining sound signature/quality would become irrelevant completely if the there would be significant measurable changes as time went on, so measurements would be useless as a standard for comparison. Kinda sad as he bases most of his reviews on measurements. His reviews would also be invalidated as how can sonic impressions at time X be accurate if the assumption is that headphones sound signature will continue to change significantly over time. ...and finally, his perchance for rejecting headphones for review based on initial measurements ("pre-burn-in") would also be highly suspect & hypocritical. most people who believe in burn-in forgot about all these other things. I think it is very interesting where the assumption of burn-in will take you...

 

that is what I find truly hilarious :rolleyes: 

post #42 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by money4me247 View Post
 

if ppl think that their headphones sound better after "burn-in," that's great for em. you can easily "burn-in" headphones through normal daily listening. No need to even leave em playing overnight with pink/white noise or do anything extra to "burn-in" headphones. if you want to leave your headphones playing for extended periods of time to "burn-in," just make sure they are at normal listening volumes (you can blow out your drivers if you leave em blasting for a long time).

 

That's consistent only because you don't believe in burn in: if it's all in our heads, it doesn't matter what we use. I use pink noise because I think it gives a more open sound.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by money4me247 View Post
 

You know what I find the most amusing about Tyll's articles... if you were to extrapolate from his testing of one pair of headphones that significant burn-in exists for all headphones, then basically all his previous measurements of headphones would be rendered null & void as an additional variable of "time-on-for-burn-in" would become a factor.

 

Are you sure they're not already burnt it when he measures? Many reviewers request post-burn in models. In any case, I doubt that burn in would show up on an FR chart.

post #43 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claritas View Post

 

Are you sure they're not already burnt it when he measures? Many reviewers request post-burn in models. In any case, I doubt that burn in would show up on an FR chart.

If it did exist, then it would, because people who claim audio improvements based on burn-in often say things like the "treble/mids/bass is XZY better." lol. aka sound signature changes. aka changes on the FR chart.

post #44 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by money4me247 View Post
 

If it did exist, then it would, because people who claim audio improvements based on burn-in often say things like the "treble/mids/bass is XZY better." lol. aka sound signature changes. aka changes on the FR chart.

 

Suppose there were two headphones with similar FR charts, but one was dynamic and the other planar. I wouldn't expect them to sound so similar. FR charts simply don't tell us enough about "sound."

post #45 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by money4me247 View Post

i just find it funny that everyone that believes in burn in always says the sound improves after burn-in. if there was a mechanism that is causes sonic changes from driver movement over time, there is no reason that the sound should always increase in quality.

1) I do not 'believe' in burn-in any more than I 'believe' that the sun rose in the east this morning. I "know". It is real.

2) I did NOT say that the sound always improves after burn-in. I wrote this:
Quote:
Not all hps respond to this. Some are burned in or do not need it.

Don't claim we/I said or wrote something we/I did not.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Do i really need to burn in my headphones?