or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Do i really need to burn in my headphones?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Do i really need to burn in my headphones?  

post #1 of 51
Thread Starter 

So as i am getting closer to trying out multiple full size headphones and picking the best one for my needs and personal liking i am starting to think ahead to get the best out of what i will be paying for. I am a huge bass head, but i absolutely need clarity in the mids and highs, no muffled sound or feeling can be accepted, well maybe just a tiny bit, i would probably get used to it if the rest of the headphones are great for me. Anyways, i plan on trying out the Sony MDR X10's first and i read here: http://www.wired.com/reviews/2012/11/sony-mdr-x10/ It says "to get the truest impression of a speaker’s sound they need to be “burned in” for 100 hours or so... That’s exactly what I did...they were greatly improved. The midrange frequencies in the soundstage were much more defined. The bass and treble were still holding court"

So i am wondering if burning in headphones or even just this particular model will really make a difference in sound, this guy seems to really believe so and says he does. I ask mostly because i am afraid burning them in will cause more damage than help; if there is no damage that can be done by doing so, i will probably do it anyways since it wouldnt hurt to do so and there is only possible improvement to be made.

So any help and feedback would be very greatly appreciated! Please go easy on me, im new to this and an entry audiophile, long time basshead. Thanks!


Edited by ShibeSuchBass - 12/20/13 at 9:56pm
post #2 of 51

Almost all headphones need some amount of burn in, and some need a lot of it. When I burnt in a pair of JVC nanos, the bass tightened up at round 70 hours.

post #3 of 51
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claritas View Post
 

Almost all headphones need some amount of burn in, and some need a lot of it. When I burnt in a pair of JVC nanos, the bass tightened up at round 70 hours.

So is there any harm that could be done as a result of burning in my new headphones when i get them? Should i burn them in right away like almost right after unpackaging them? Sorry for my noobiness.

post #4 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShibeSuchBass View Post
 

So is there any harm that could be done as a result of burning in my new headphones when i get them? Should i burn them in right away like almost right after unpackaging them?.

 

You could harm it if you burn in too loud, so set the volume to only one notch above normal listening volume.

 

It doesn't matter if you wait to burn in or try them out first. I always try out a new purchase for a hour or so with different genres before I set about burning them in.

 

I recommend alternating between bass heavy music and pink noise (http://simplynoise.com). The usual effect is to tighten the bass and take a little of the edge off the treble. That argues in favor of listening before, so you can hear the difference after.

post #5 of 51
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claritas View Post
 

 

You could harm it if you burn in too loud, so set the volume to only one notch above normal listening volume.

 

It doesn't matter if you wait to burn in or try them out first. I always try out a new purchase for a hour or so with different genres before I set about burning them in.

 

I recommend alternating between bass heavy music and pink noise (http://simplynoise.com). The usual effect is to tighten the bass and take a little of the edge off the treble. That argues in favor of listening before, so you can hear the difference after.

Yeah, i will listen to them before for sure. Also it seems to me that you can burn them in differently to get a different result with a different style of burning them in. Like what i mean is, will you get a different result in sound after burning them in with pure pink noise versus with some pink noise and some regular music or maybe versus a whole different method with like maybe only a tone or with like a different genre of music only? Hope you understand what i am getting at.

post #6 of 51

You're always going to get conflicting answers when you ask about burn in, upgrading cables, $9,000 usb cables and power cords, anti-vibration DAC feet.  Some will say HUGE DIFFERENCE MAN some will say it's placebo.  Also, your avatar uses bold comic sans which doesn't comply with standard doge regulation.

post #7 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShibeSuchBass View Post
 

Yeah, i will listen to them before for sure. Also it seems to me that you can burn them in differently to get a different result with a different style of burning them in. Like what i mean is, will you get a different result in sound after burning them in with pure pink noise versus with some pink noise and some regular music or maybe versus a whole different method with like maybe only a tone or with like a different genre of music only? Hope you understand what i am getting at.

 

You're at least half right. Using only one genre (unless it's something like a Mahler symphony, which has such range) wouldn't fully burn it in. Using only pink noise, however, theoretically should burn it in fully because of what pink noise is. But I haven't tested it rigorously, so this isn't a scientific opinion.

post #8 of 51
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by linglingjr View Post
 

You're always going to get conflicting answers when you ask about burn in, upgrading cables, $9,000 usb cables and power cords, anti-vibration DAC feet.  Some will say HUGE DIFFERENCE MAN some will say it's placebo.  Also, your avatar uses bold comic sans which doesn't comply with standard doge regulation.

A $9000 usb cable? They make those? I thought those were only for enterprise grade use in computing and networking... The last part was ******** amazing, i didnt know i would ever find someone who actually knows that, i died:etysmile:

post #9 of 51

Want to see what else they make? Google "P.W.B. Electronics Cream Electret".

post #10 of 51
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claritas View Post
 

Want to see what else they make? Google "P.W.B. Electronics Cream Electret".

Well good thing i dont use CDs and im too young to have ever heard a vinyl play in person lol. I assume you put this cream on CD's and vinyls like this article says http://www.mackenziehifi.com/pwb-cream-electret-32-p.asp

post #11 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShibeSuchBass View Post
 

Well good thing i dont use CDs and im too young to have ever heard a vinyl play in person lol. I assume you put this cream on CD's and vinyls like this article says http://www.mackenziehifi.com/pwb-cream-electret-32-p.asp

 

The guy in Stereophile put some under his preamp and speakers: "AD heard slight increases in nuance and force when he spread the cream under the front edge of his preamp, but heard no change in the sound when he spread the cream on his speaker stands." Lol!

post #12 of 51
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claritas View Post
 

 

The guy in Stereophile put some under his preamp and speakers: "AD heard slight increases in nuance and force when he spread the cream under the front edge of his preamp, but heard no change in the sound when he spread the cream on his speaker stands." Lol!

Who comes up with this stuff? lol

post #13 of 51

I'm just going to leave this here

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/663773/is-burn-in-real-or-placebo

 

have a good day

post #14 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamijoIsMyHero View Post
 

I'm just going to leave this here

 

I read that when Tyll first posted about it. He did a follow up, you know: still inconclusive and still working on it. Charts are still limited in what they can convey about sound. But I'm not going to bluff myself into forgetting the changes I myself have heard only because someone else hasn't heard them.

post #15 of 51
Thread Starter 
So should I burn them in or not? I mean if there's nothing bad that could happen then its worth a shot right?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Do i really need to burn in my headphones?