or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Need help choosing a pair of INEXPENSIVE over-ear, all around-er, with a twist.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need help choosing a pair of INEXPENSIVE over-ear, all around-er, with a twist.

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 

Hello, I have a challenge for those reading this. =D I'm looking for some over the ear Headphones for, well, basically everything. Now here is the catch. 

 

- Spending Limit $50-$60 [ Less will make me a very happy person. ]

- I do not mind re-branded headphones.

- Comfort is a huge issue, I will be wearing glasses, so not looking for anything that will try to squish my head like a grape or make my ears sweat / become hot.

- Sound, looking for a neutral / balance. Seeing as I am going to be using it for Gaming, Movies, TV Shows, Music, etc.

- Need something that is pretty easy to power, plug and listen. =D

- Build quality wise, pretty sturdy, may drop it or something. Hopefully not.

 

I was considering something like these:

Takstar HIFI 2050

Gemini DJ HSR-1000

 

I e-mailed Yoga Electronics to see if they sell headphones, or are just the OEM company for many.

 

As for what type of Headphones / IEM"s I have:

 

Astrotec AM-90

Noontec Zoro [ Which most likely give to a family member or sell. Hurts my ears. ]

 

So, in other words, I am new. =D

 

Are you up for the challenge?

post #2 of 11

Hi,

 

I would choose Gemini HSR-1000 over Takstar Hi 2050. Takstars Hi-2050 are quite light on the bass and are pretty unforgiving headphones that tend to sound really good when paired with the highest quality recordings but sibilant or un-natural and cold with most modern music.

 

Best Luck!

post #3 of 11
Thread Starter 

Do you happen to own the Gemini? I mean, how comfortable is it? For long sittings and the like?

post #4 of 11

Sennheiser HD 439 are 40 dollars right now from Vminnovations with coupon code HCFM4C. The Gemini are probably better sound quality though. 

post #5 of 11

I have heard a few good things about monoprice dj headphones. I have ordered 2 pairs for my kids. They seem pretty tough.

post #6 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazG View Post
 

I have heard a few good things about monoprice dj headphones. I have ordered 2 pairs for my kids. They seem pretty tough.

How comfortable are they? I mean, have you used them yourself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahunatu View Post
 

Sennheiser HD 439 are 40 dollars right now from Vminnovations with coupon code HCFM4C. The Gemini are probably better sound quality though. 

Do you own the Gemini? If so, could you possibly compare them?

post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by BluePhoenixHD View Post

 

Do you own the Gemini? If so, could you possibly compare them?

I don't. I had the Takstar 2050 briefly but it had a channel imbalance. I didn't find anything special about it's sound but it may have been completely defective sound quality wise. I researched both of them and some people have said they are worth way above their price sound quality wise. I didn't want to take a chance and order it again but if I did I'd probably go with the closed Gemini from amazon rather than importing from China.

 

Take a look at the takstar thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/585356/the-takstar-technical-pro-gemini-greathon-thread for peoples experience with them.

 

I recommended the Sennheiser because it has great reviews and a reputable company and it was 40 bucks with a coupon now its back up to 70-99 dollars. I ordered mine recently because I'm curious on it's sound quality. I'll give feedback if you're still looking in a couple of days. 

 

Edit: Another popular headphone is the Creative Aurvana Live! it's supposed to be very comfortable but maybe not if you have too big ears. Again no experience just from my own research it's supposed to be a top headphone at that price.  


Edited by ahunatu - 12/23/13 at 11:47pm
post #8 of 11
Thread Starter 

Ahunatu,

 

Yeah, I have heard / read a good amount about the CAL. One of the most suggested lower end headphone. =D

 

That makes since, not importing from China, due to you having to pay extra shipping fees, if I'm correct. Plus, they may get hold up at customs, right?

post #9 of 11

The issue with importing is from my experience I think many different things can go wrong or if you get a defective product and you wanted to return it it would be a hassle.

 

I would go with tried and tested headphones on head-fi where many people have lauded their quality like the JVC S500, CAL!, etc. But they all have their drawbacks in this price range and in the end you won't know if you like the frequency response until you hear them.

 

About the Sennheiser HD 439. They're super laid back headphones. Very comfortable but if you want impact in your music it's going to be disappointing. I think this is what they mean by the Sennheiser veil. When I switch to my JVC S500's everything is much more forward sounding. I just got these couple hours ago so still not sure how I feel about them. They do have better vocals and soundstage and instrument separation and everything seems to sound much more accurate and tight compared to my JVC's.


Edited by ahunatu - 12/26/13 at 2:11pm
post #10 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahunatu View Post
 

The issue with importing is from my experience I think many different things can go wrong or if you get a defective product and you wanted to return it it would be a hassle.

 

I would go with tried and tested headphones on head-fi where many people have lauded their quality like the JVC S500, CAL!, etc. But they all have their drawbacks in this price range and in the end you won't know if you like the frequency response until you hear them.

 

About the Sennheiser HD 439. They're super laid back headphones. Very comfortable but if you want impact in your music it's going to be disappointing. I think this is what they mean by the Sennheiser veil. When I switch to my JVC S500's everything is much more forward sounding. I just got these couple hours ago so still not sure how I feel about them. They do have better vocals and soundstage and instrument separation and everything seems to sound much more accurate and tight compared to my JVC's.

 

That's true, would kind of need to roll the dice and see if I like the Headphone. For the 439, I've read on Amazon that, while being comfortable and pretty good sound, not the best, their build quality is pretty lack luster.

post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePhoenixHD View Post
 

How comfortable are they? I mean, have you used them yourself?

Do you own the Gemini? If so, could you possibly compare them?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazG View Post
 

I have heard a few good things about monoprice dj headphones. I have ordered 2 pairs for my kids. They seem pretty tough.

I just got them and they sound really good for just over 30 bucks! Same thing I read before buying them - the band is not well padded as you can see from the pics, but for the price they work and sound great. 

 

I will have to give them some more listening to tell you more.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Need help choosing a pair of INEXPENSIVE over-ear, all around-er, with a twist.