or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Gigabyte P34G good gaming laptop????
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Gigabyte P34G good gaming laptop????

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 

Hey guys

So I want a new laptop for college work and gaming. The thing is I need my parent's permission to get it. So I have to get a laptop that is good for college work, but secretly I just need it for gaming. So I've heard a lot of good things about the Gigabyte P34G, only bad thing is the low battery life and loud fans. So what have you guys heard about this laptop? Would you recommend this or another? Thanks!

post #2 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayerming2 View Post
 

Hey guys

So I want a new laptop for college work and gaming. The thing is I need my parent's permission to get it. So I have to get a laptop that is good for college work, but secretly I just need it for gaming. So I've heard a lot of good things about the Gigabyte P34G, only bad thing is the low battery life and loud fans. So what have you guys heard about this laptop? Would you recommend this or another? Thanks!

The P34G uses Dolby Home Theater V4 software and a Realtek audio processor.

Have no idea on how good a gaming computer it is?

You can always get an external USB sound card to use with any laptop.

Creative Labs Omni Surround 5.1, currently you can get 30% off (thru Sunday) with the coupon code "30GIFT13".

post #3 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post
 

The P34G uses Dolby Home Theater V4 software and a Realtek audio processor.

Have no idea on how good a gaming computer it is?

You can always get an external USB sound card to use with any laptop.

Creative Labs Omni Surround 5.1, currently you can get 30% off (thru Sunday) with the coupon code "30GIFT13".

What website would you have to use to get the coupon to work for the laptop? And sorry I'm not familiar with laptops. So do you think it is a good deal? Like what are some cons you can see with this laptop?


Edited by slayerming2 - 12/20/13 at 2:30pm
post #4 of 13

There are definitely better gaming laptops out there for the price, but they will be a lot bulkier.  This one won't outperform many other laptops but it will run most games decently and if size is a concern for you this may be the best you can do.

post #5 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by arashb View Post
 

There are definitely better gaming laptops out there for the price, but they will be a lot bulkier.  This one won't outperform many other laptops but it will run most games decently and if size is a concern for you this may be the best you can do.

Okay thanks! Do laptops like these ever go on sale. Or is price probably going to be fine.

post #6 of 13

go to xoticpc.com and choose from the gaming laptops they have there

post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayerming2 View Post
 

What website would you have to use to get the coupon to work for the laptop? And sorry I'm not familiar with laptops. So do you think it is a good deal? Like what are some cons you can see with this laptop?

Go to the Creative labs website, you start the buy there, click on "Shop online", but it's processed thru Amazon, $80 (with 30% off)

Amazon has a place where you input a promotion code or coupon code (30GIFT13)

http://us.creative.com/p/sound-blaster/sound-blaster-omni-surround-5-1

 

I just have no idea on rating laptops (for gaming), I do not follow the laptop market.

The laptop's built in Realtek audio processor with Dolby Home Theater v4 might do the job on it's own for gaming.

You can try both the Omni Surround 5.1 and the RealTek/Dolby with each game, and use which ever seems to work better.

post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayerming2 View Post
 

Okay thanks! Do laptops like these ever go on sale. Or is price probably going to be fine.

 

By the time it goes on sale there will be a better laptop you could buy for this original price.  It's best to wait as long as possible before buying anything related to computers.

 

So is the laptop's dimensions very important to you?  SSD won't do much for gaming, but it sure does help for the OS.

 

Also you can even have an external graphics card if you buy the right laptop, this is useful if you're only going to be gaming at a certain desk where you can keep the monitor and graphics card.  

post #9 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by arashb View Post
 

 

By the time it goes on sale there will be a better laptop you could buy for this original price.  It's best to wait as long as possible before buying anything related to computers.

 

So is the laptop's dimensions very important to you?  SSD won't do much for gaming, but it sure does help for the OS.

 

Also you can even have an external graphics card if you buy the right laptop, this is useful if you're only going to be gaming at a certain desk where you can keep the monitor and graphics card.  

Nahh looks never matter. Huh I don't need an amazing gaming laptop. Just a good one that can run most games at normal graphics. Should I wait for another laptop?

post #10 of 13

Well if you play the "waiting for a better laptop" game, you'll be waiting until the end of time.

 

edit- sorry I misread your last post, what games do you plan on playing?  That'll be easier.


Edited by arashb - 12/20/13 at 5:41pm
post #11 of 13

Well, what kind of games are you going to play?

post #12 of 13

The Alienware X51 isn't a laptop but is very compact, and actually gives you some upgrade options. If you're even semi-serious about gaming.

post #13 of 13

I'd recommend browsing the threads on notebookreview forums under the "What Laptop Should I Buy" forums. 

 

That said, there are a lot of decent mid road laptops that can game and not overheat while doing it. Look for open box / returns at Microcenter if there's on near you. 15 day return policy so dog it hard to make sure it works before keeping it.

 

They have Lenovo Y510s going for $999 new and about $800 open box. Good battery life, especially for a laptop with dual GT750Ms and no optimus when they're both plugged in. 

 

Asus N56JR with a GT760M and a 4700MQ CPU is about the same price, It won't have as long of battery life or as powerful GPU setup (dual GT750Ms are quite powerful, into the GT770 range) but it has better sound and is a little lighter.

 

xoticpc is a great place to shop. Clevo / Sager chassis machines don't LOOK like typical gaming machines but they have good to great performance depending on model. Their higher end ones are a bit boxy and heavy but have dual fans and are made to game continuously without running hot.

 

Some of the newer machines coming out with Intel's Iris integrated GPU are very impressive. 45W CPU/GPU package with ~GT635/640M performance. That's about a 50% power saving over most discrete GPU machines. The lower power requirement means they can be put into ultra books and smaller machines without heating issues.

 

The P34G is a good machine but it's been hard to actually come by.

 

Basically anything with a GT650M or GT750M in it will be at the low end of what can run today's games acceptably at medium or low settings for most demanding games at medium or high res.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Gigabyte P34G good gaming laptop????