or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Help upgrading my set up (Active vs passive speaker)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Help upgrading my set up (Active vs passive speaker)

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 

I have a bit extra cash and being hooked up with friend work at music store so I am looking to upgrade my audio set up of my PC. I am currently running a Titanium HD card to a pair of BX5a. I was originally thinking about just adding a sub polk PSW 111 but since I am getting great discount on speaker/amp as well so I want to add on passive speaker and an amp. If i were to switch to pair of passive speaker such as Polk Audio RTi A3 and NR-1504 Marantz amp along with PSW 111 sub, Would I notice a huge improvement over Bx5a and the sub?

 

I see a lot of people mention about USB DAC, what exactly is that and is that something I should look into for sound improvement?

post #2 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrack View Post
 

I have a bit extra cash and being hooked up with friend work at music store so I am looking to upgrade my audio set up of my PC. I am currently running a Titanium HD card to a pair of BX5a. I was originally thinking about just adding a sub polk PSW 111 but since I am getting great discount on speaker/amp as well so I want to add on passive speaker and an amp. If i were to switch to pair of passive speaker such as Polk Audio RTi A3 and NR-1504 Marantz amp along with PSW 111 sub, Would I notice a huge improvement over Bx5a and the sub?

 

I see a lot of people mention about USB DAC, what exactly is that and is that something I should look into for sound improvement?

The Titanium-HD comes with a good DAC chip (PCM1794), so I would assume you would spend a lot more on an external DAC then what you would expect, in order to make a noticeable difference, over the Titanium-HD.

 

Is it worth replacing the BX5s for the RTI A3 and Marantz ?????

 

It would be a lot cheaper to buy the Polk Audio PSW 111 and a pre-amplifier to split the audio signal between the BX5s and a sub-woofer.

post #3 of 14
Thread Starter 

I have this: http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-802-Premium-8-Input-Preamps/dp/B000J5XS3C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1387531192&sr=8-2&keywords=behringer

 

That will act as pre amp correct? How would you connect these together? 

post #4 of 14
Thread Starter 

bump

 

anyone? Do I just take input from the soundcard to the mixer then run main out to the sub and from the sub, use the speaker wire to 1/4 to the Bx5a?

post #5 of 14

I actually can't think of a way to connect a sub from that mixer. The 2 main outs would have to go to the speakers because the BX5's only have a 1/4" input and a XLR.

post #6 of 14
Thread Starter 

According to the manual:

 

http://www.behringer.com/assets/502_802_1002_1202_M_EN.pdf

 

There is another output L/R called Control Room Out. Isnt that the same as main out?

 

If this mixer does not work then what would be the alternative? 

post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrack View Post
 

According to the manual:

 

http://www.behringer.com/assets/502_802_1002_1202_M_EN.pdf

 

There is another output L/R called Control Room Out. Isnt that the same as main out?

 

If this mixer does not work then what would be the alternative? 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrack View Post
 

According to the manual:

 

http://www.behringer.com/assets/502_802_1002_1202_M_EN.pdf

 

There is another output L/R called Control Room Out. Isnt that the same as main out?

 

If this mixer does not work then what would be the alternative? 


It looks like it, yes. However, the problem is you won't be able to set the crossover on the sub this way. I would suggest getting a sub where you can input the output from your soundcard, and they set the LFE crossover, and then connect your BX5's to that.

post #8 of 14
Thread Starter 

I am stuck with the sub for now so I just have to figure a way around it. The card have RCA in and out. Can I used this to my benefit? And I am not 100% sure what you mean by setting crossover. Is that something the sound card can do?

 

http://ask.creative.com/wwimages/audio/titanium_hd_1.jpg

post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrack View Post
 

I am stuck with the sub for now so I just have to figure a way around it. The card have RCA in and out. Can I used this to my benefit? And I am not 100% sure what you mean by setting crossover. Is that something the sound card can do?

 

http://ask.creative.com/wwimages/audio/titanium_hd_1.jpg


A crossover lets the sub play only the low frequencies and takes it away from the speakers, however since this is not possible, get a couple of RCA splitters.

 

http://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-adapter-male-female-assembly/dp/B0009MFRW0

 

Connect one set to your speakers, and the other set to the sub.

post #10 of 14
Thread Starter 

So my sub came and I used rca splitter and it kinda worked but isnt this a poor solution since both are mono and sound rather bad. Isnt there anyway to split the RCA to 2 separate stereo output? 

post #11 of 14
post #12 of 14
Thread Starter 
I used something like that but it just split the output into 2 mono lines. Is there something special about this one that split into 2 stereo output?
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrack View Post

I used something like that but it just split the output into 2 mono lines. Is there something special about this one that split into 2 stereo output?

Well, I was thinking more like since you already split the signal you combine them again and plug it into the left (lfe) channel of the sub. This works in theory, not sure if it'll work though.

post #14 of 14
Thread Starter 

I got it to work. the only problem left is how to control the volume of the sub without having to go down to the actual nob in the back. 

 

Would something like this work:

 

http://www.amazon.com/Axxess-AALC-Controller-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B003FPD3IS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1387863721&sr=8-2&keywords=rca+volume+control


Edited by zerocrack - 12/23/13 at 9:43pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Help upgrading my set up (Active vs passive speaker)