Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Are the DX100 and AK100 Worth it?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Are the DX100 and AK100 Worth it?

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 

Hey guys I am looking at buying my first 'professional' DAP.  I've had iPod Classics and touches before, and now I am looking at purchasing something that doesn't require an external amplifier.

 

In the past, I have learned that buying the best that you can afford is usually the best way to go.  So I started looking at the DX100 (HDP-R10) and I noticed that while is does produce great sound quality, the UI is kind of quirky, and hard to use, can someone voice their opinions towards the usability of the DX100?

 

And then there was the AK100 MK I, and I am wondering if the MK I is even worth purchasing anymore due to the release of the MK II.

 

And after I looked at both of these I then discovered the DX50, which is much cheaper that the two mentioned above, and has similar performance.  

 

I guess I am just lost because I know that the DX100 is going to offer the best ampless performance, but I don't want to have to deal with the problematic UI, and I am not sure how bad it is.

 

Then the DX50 is just so much cheaper than the other two, is there a reason to purchases the DX100 or AK100 over the DX50?

 

 

 

Also, does someone know where I can look at these devices in store?

 

 

 

I would appreciate all the help I can get, and thank you for looking!

post #2 of 7

Get the AK100 MKII, it has the same 3 ohms out just like the AK120 for better impedance matching (the old version is 20 ohms.)  The DX50 is a good starting DAP for $240, but if you just want to test the water, than I highly recommend the ColorFly C3 for about $100.

post #3 of 7
Thread Starter 
Why do you recomend the AK100 MK II over the DX100? Do you know where I can look us these in store??
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakenbake158 View Post

Why do you recomend the AK100 MK II over the DX100? Do you know where I can look us these in store??

Compact size and better UI, and where do you live?

post #5 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSheep View Post
 

Compact size and better UI, and where do you live?

Is the UI a lot better?

 

I live in Spokane, WA

 

Also I have seen a few things about the Fiio X5, would it be worth holding out for?

post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakenbake158 View Post
 

Is the UI a lot better?

 

I live in Spokane, WA

 

Also I have seen a few things about the Fiio X5, would it be worth holding out for?

Imagine that, I used to live around Seattle for over 15 years...  Your best option is to go over to the AK100/120 thread and ask members for a demo, as stores generally don't sell something this specialized.  Personally I am not a fan of FiiO, but the X5 could be interesting.  UI wise I do think the AK is better but not necessary the best.  However, you can USB charge the AK's but not the iBasso.

post #7 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSheep View Post

Imagine that, I used to live around Seattle for over 15 years...  Your best option is to go over to the AK100/120 thread and ask members for a demo, as stores generally don't sell something this specialized.  Personally I am not a fan of FiiO, but the X5 could be interesting.  UI wise I do think the AK is better but not necessary the best.  However, you can USB charge the AK's but not the iBasso.

Oh well that's a coincidence, yeah I knew they would probably not be available me in just any old store.
I might just hold out for the X5, and if that's a let down, the AK100 MK II will be my second option.

Thanks for all your help, I appreciate it!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Are the DX100 and AK100 Worth it?