Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › FiiO X5 preview world tour--tour members, claim your souvenir for the X5 tour! p.123
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

FiiO X5 preview world tour--tour members, claim your souvenir for the X5 tour! p.123 - Page 67

post #991 of 1895
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietcux View Post

The E12/Ipod stack is nearly same thickness as the X5 and fits very good in my shirt breast pocket. I could see me trying the Sony ZX1or the Fiio X5 if the sound much better unamped than my stack.

You may want to also have a look at the Calyx M, I think this player will most likely work quite well by itself.
post #992 of 1895
Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post


A study of 60 participants with varied listening experiences did a test between even a SACD's DSD layer (which the X5 can eventually decode) and 16/44 resulted in that were that people were guessing between the two formats; no audible distinction could be detected. Chances are you didn't properly volume-match the files and you haven't done an ABX test to confirm your observations. XD
It might be an interesting read: http://www.drewdaniels.com/audible.pdf

44.1/2 (22.05 kHz) is already above human hearing, and by Nyquist sampling rates, a unique solution exists for the analog waveform. A higher sampling rate isn't necessary for what humans can detect.

As suggested in the study, the master of a recording makes much more of a difference, if not all of a difference, between different music mediums and not the bit-depth and sampling rates themselves.



And I need to load my microSD cards since I haven't had the time to prepare them. >.>

24 bits gives you more dynamic range than does 16 bit and with 44kHz sampling you only get 2 sampling points on a 20kHz wave form, with the higher sampling rates you get more sample points with which to reconstruct the waveform so supposedly a more analog sound

post #993 of 1895

Regarding relative merits of 16 bit vs 24 bit, etc., these are better discussed here:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/f/133/sound-science

post #994 of 1895
Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post


A study of 60 participants with varied listening experiences did a test between even a SACD's DSD layer (which the X5 can eventually decode) and 16/44 resulted in that were that people were guessing between the two formats; no audible distinction could be detected. Chances are you didn't properly volume-match the files and you haven't done an ABX test to confirm your observations. XD
It might be an interesting read: http://www.drewdaniels.com/audible.pdf

44.1/2 (22.05 kHz) is already above human hearing, and by Nyquist sampling rates, a unique solution exists for the analog waveform. A higher sampling rate isn't necessary for what humans can detect.

As suggested in the study, the master of a recording makes much more of a difference, if not all of a difference, between different music mediums and not the bit-depth and sampling rates themselves.
 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by henwell View Post
 

24 bits gives you more dynamic range than does 16 bit and with 44kHz sampling you only get 2 sampling points on a 20kHz wave form, with the higher sampling rates you get more sample points with which to reconstruct the waveform so supposedly a more analog sound

 

The best analysis of this whole debate is included here:    http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html#toc_intro

 

The bottom line:  BETTER MASTERS

 

"It's not because of increased sample rate or depth but because the SACD used a higher-quality master. When bounced to a CD-R, the SACD version still sounds as good as the original SACD and better than the CD release because the original audio used to make the SACD was better. Good production and mastering obviously contribute to the final quality of the music."

 

AND

 

"Why push back against 24/192? Because it's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist, a business model based on willful ignorance and scamming people. The more that pseudoscience goes unchecked in the world at large, the harder it is for truth to overcome truthiness... even if this is a small and relatively insignificant example."

 

"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." 
     —Carl Sagan

post #995 of 1895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mython View Post
 

Regarding relative merits of 16 bit vs 24 bit, etc., these are better discussed here:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/f/133/sound-science


Wow what a large selection of sound science subjects, thanks had no idea that existed.

post #996 of 1895
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicheaven View Post
 


Wow what a large selection of sound science subjects, thanks had no idea that existed.

 

post #997 of 1895
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobC View Post

"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." 

     —Carl Sagan
Yes! Carl Sagan is awesome!
Speaking of which, more legally free downloads to try with the X5. smily_headphones1.gif
http://melodysheep.bandcamp.com/album/symphony-of-science-collectors-edition



Quote:
Originally Posted by henwell View Post

24 bits gives you more dynamic range than does 16 bit and with 44kHz sampling you only get 2 sampling points on a 20kHz wave form, with the higher sampling rates you get more sample points with which to reconstruct the waveform so supposedly a more analog sound
Yes, but you missed the point: humans can't hear it. You can say it all you want, but there have been a multitude of scientifically conducted studies and all of them reach similar results. The results of the Nyquist sampling rate is a common occurrence in signal processing and it's quite standard. I don't think people have refuted it, saying higher sampling rates are necessarily better, nor are they needed for the end user. XD
As mentioned, the xiph.org article is a good resource, as are the sound science threads like this one: http://www.head-fi.org/t/415361/24bit-vs-16bit-the-myth-exploded
Edited by miceblue - 2/10/14 at 3:45pm
post #998 of 1895
It makes no sense to buy a DAP that is cannot play bit perfect 24bit music files in 2014.
Fiio could do it since X3.
post #999 of 1895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mython View Post
 

 


I think I'll go for the red pill. :D 

post #1000 of 1895
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicheaven View Post
 


I think I'll go for the red pill. :D 

 

24/192...

 

Do you WANT to know...

 

WHAT.

 

IT.

 

IS.

 

??

 

 

...it's a very deep rabbithole!

 

:D 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Back to the X5....  @ James: is there any chance of an earlier international release? :wink_face:

 

 

 

 



Edited by Mython - 2/10/14 at 4:26pm
post #1001 of 1895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mython View Post
 

 

 

Back to the X5....  @ James: is there any chance of an earlier international release? :wink_face:

 

 

 

A vendor has more than 3,000 pieces in stock according to the info shown at Taobao. They could sell those to the international buyers on ebay.

post #1002 of 1895
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMinor View Post

A vendor has more than 3,000 pieces in stock according to the info shown at Taobao. They could sell those to the international buyers on ebay.

I'd trust that stock info about as far as I can throw my 21" monitor... wink.gif
post #1003 of 1895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mython View Post
 

Back to the X5....  @ James: is there any chance of an earlier international release? :wink_face:

 

 

 

 


Yes please! This would be very very welcome indeed. I am suffering with my j3 right now... xD

post #1004 of 1895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bloggs View Post

I'd trust that stock info about as far as I can throw my 21" monitor... wink.gif

What if you have a 70 pound CRT?
post #1005 of 1895
Quote:
Originally Posted by gikigill View Post


What if you have a 70 pound CRT?

 

Then you blow it with those 3,000 pieces of X5's. :)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › FiiO X5 preview world tour--tour members, claim your souvenir for the X5 tour! p.123