or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › FiiO X5 preview world tour--tour members, claim your souvenir for the X5 tour! p.123
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

FiiO X5 preview world tour--tour members, claim your souvenir for the X5 tour! p.123 - Page 45

post #661 of 1895
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicheaven View Post


It happens anyway when you select update the library, both get scanned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperpwc View Post

A file browser is like a window. If there are two cards, you should see two cards. If there are 100 folders, you should see 100 folders.

The beauty of a file browser is that it doesn't have the inevitable bugs of a database because it just shows what is there. 

It would be nice to merge both cards because one could bypass the scanning phase, avoiding issues and time spent to building the library.
Also, it's a workaround for the browsing by artist-album-song which the database, AFAIK, does not support.
post #662 of 1895
Quote:
Originally Posted by themad View Post

Excellent review! Thank you for that!

One question: when you browse by folder, you have to select the card, right? Or does it put everything in one single structure?

+1

actually, +10 or more if I can do that :^)

browsing the cards gives you artist -> album -> track, assuming you organized your files that way

the 'categories' only give you album -> track or artist -> track or genre -> track which isn't very helpful and requires renaming songs if you want them displayed properly

I sure hope Fiio fixes 'categories' so they function like other dap's for both x3 and x5
post #663 of 1895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bloggs View Post


Yes, select the card first. Hmm, interesting idea to combine the two cards...


Maybe the screen could say "card 1", "card 2", "card 1&2" with the card graphic.

post #664 of 1895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bloggs View Post


Yes, select the card first. Hmm, interesting idea to combine the two cards...


Is it possible to see both cards as 1 folder? Would be very great actually. Waiting for your answer Joe! :happy_face1:

post #665 of 1895
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberOzL View Post
 


Is it possible to see both cards as 1 folder? Would be very great actually. Waiting for your answer Joe! :happy_face1:


I can see this becoming a nightmare if you name the directory the same on different cards, quite a task to be honest but if the software engineers can achieve it then my hat to them and I would welcome the change.

post #666 of 1895
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicheaven View Post
 


I can see this becoming a nightmare if you name the directory the same on different cards, quite a task to be honest but if the software engineers can achieve it then my hat to them and I would welcome the change.


Well I am already ok with the card selection but if they can put all in one folder it would be sweet.

 

I organize my music like this> Artist/Albums/Songs. So for me, it would be seeing all my folders in one place like foobar and there would be no same name for sure.

post #667 of 1895
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmatheis View Post


+1

actually, +10 or more if I can do that :^)

browsing the cards gives you artist -> album -> track, assuming you organized your files that way

the 'categories' only give you album -> track or artist -> track or genre -> track which isn't very helpful and requires renaming songs if you want them displayed properly

I sure hope Fiio fixes 'categories' so they function like other dap's for both x3 and x5

 

I think they can work on making the library somewhat more intelligent using the tags. There is enough info in there to achieve the artist\album\track paradigm. Hey if iBasso can do it I can't see why Fiio can't.

post #668 of 1895

I still can't believe how the tags show up on WAV files. For me that is very much appreciated. It had the album, artist and song all showing up as if it was flac...

post #669 of 1895
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberOzL View Post
 


Well I am already ok with the card selection but if they can put all in one folder it would be sweet.

 

I organize my music like this> Artist/Albums/Songs. So for me, it would be seeing all my folders in one place like foobar and there would be no same name for sure.


I understand but those guys have to look for the worst case scenario and this is putting all your eggs in one basket and the same basket on both cards, including the possibility of putting duplicated files on both cards at exactly the same directory structure. I, for one, would love to see this happening but not at the cost of a load of firmware upgrades to fix what they could have not planned.

post #670 of 1895
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberOzL View Post
 


Well I am already ok with the card selection but if they can put all in one folder it would be sweet.

 

I organize my music like this> Artist/Albums/Songs. So for me, it would be seeing all my folders in one place like foobar and there would be no same name for sure.


Is it possible to organize in the X5 by Composer/Composition/Artist preferred for classical music listing as compared to Artist/Album/Songs that would be preferred by/for pop music?  I would imagine that it is always preferable for the listener to want to see the composer first, no? I ask b/c I've found that different daps I've had, including ipod, various  Sansas and Cowen J3 seem to gloss over my minority taste preference of classical/symphony music. Even the very excellent dbPowerAmp app I use, which allows this file procedure often gets ignored by the daps I've used.

post #671 of 1895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripvanlink View Post
 


Is it possible to organize in the X5 by Composer/Composition/Artist preferred for classical music listing as compared to Artist/Album/Songs that would be preferred by/for pop music?  I would imagine that it is always preferable for the listener to want to see the composer first, no? I ask b/c I've found that different daps I've had, including ipod, various  Sansas and Cowen J3 seem to gloss over my minority taste preference of classical/symphony music. Even the very excellent dbPowerAmp app I use, which allows this file procedure often gets ignored by the daps I've used.


Wow, suddenly, I am a pop music lover. Gotta love Michael Jackson :happy_face1: I never listen to pop music btw.

 

I don't have X5 for the moment, therefore I can't answer. I will buy one when it is available in Eu. It is better to ask Joe or James I believe.

 

Again, what you can do, you just name your files, at the beginning of them, you can add 01, 02, 03 etc. So in folder view, you see them as the way you want them to be listed. I believe mp3tag program can do it for you even, you don't have to do it for your whole library manually I think.

post #672 of 1895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripvanlink View Post

Is it possible to organize in the X5 by Composer/Composition/Artist preferred for classical music listing as compared to Artist/Album/Songs that would be preferred by/for pop music?  I would imagine that it is always preferable for the listener to want to see the composer first, no? I ask b/c I've found that different daps I've had, including ipod, various  Sansas and Cowen J3 seem to gloss over my minority taste preference of classical/symphony music. Even the very excellent dbPowerAmp app I use, which allows this file procedure often gets ignored by the daps I've used.


At 4:09
Looks like you can sort by song, album, artist, or genre.

For classical, yeah the composer is usually more important to look for than the artist.
post #673 of 1895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripvanlink View Post
 


Is it possible to organize in the X5 by Composer/Composition/Artist preferred for classical music listing as compared to Artist/Album/Songs that would be preferred by/for pop music?  I would imagine that it is always preferable for the listener to want to see the composer first, no? I ask b/c I've found that different daps I've had, including ipod, various  Sansas and Cowen J3 seem to gloss over my minority taste preference of classical/symphony music. Even the very excellent dbPowerAmp app I use, which allows this file procedure often gets ignored by the daps I've used.


I can answer that for you but rest assure I am not a pop fan by any margin, just so you know ;) Oops sorry MJ.

 

Right now you have two browsing modes available;

 

(1) Directory structure which is whatever is your fancy, that means it's pretty opened it just lists the directories and subdirectories then the files but you can still leave files at any levels.

 

(2) The library mode is the second option requiring a scan to be done in order for the library database to be built, this one is guided by the tags you fill up in each song. The main tags are title, album, artist, genre and track numbering for order (not all vendors use this tag). If you provide those properly, it will use the info to build the library but the UI does not fully work at the lowest level at least not yet. At one point the dap vendor has to take a decision on how to express the tag hierarchy. Most of them use the Artist\Album\Track if you use artist, Album\Track if you use Albums and Genre\Artist\Album\Tack if you use Genre. But Fiio has taken the road of providing Album\Tacks, Artist\Tracks and Genre\Tracks. Let's hope they will change it to be more granular like other daps vendors.

post #674 of 1895

I guess the solution would be to call the composer the artist, the title of the piece would be the song. So.... what  ABOUT the artist, which would be either conductor and symphony orchestra, chamber group, soloist, etc.? If there's no allowance to continue the file titles, then I won't see the artist(s), right? Or is there such allowance? Very nice of you to show how it's done on your X5, miceblue. Thank you! Yes, The Star Wars music is excellent  and truly serious classical music, lol, isn't it? You can hear the Prokofieff in it, as well as Bartok, but reconfigured in John Williams inimitable style, so your reference to it in the pic is very apt.

Btw, I am definitely up for the X5 when it comes out. I'm very excited! I will be listening to it via the triple-fis, reconfigured by UM with their Silver cables. What would you think of that combination?

post #675 of 1895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripvanlink View Post
 

I guess the solution would be to call the composer the artist, the title of the piece would be the song. So.... what  ABOUT the artist, which would be either conductor and symphony orchestra, chamber group, soloist, etc.? If there's no allowance to continue the file titles, then I won't see the artist(s), right? Or is there such allowance? Very nice of you to show how it's done on your X5, miceblue. Thank you! Yes, The Star Wars music is excellent  and truly serious classical music, lol, isn't it? You can hear the Prokofieff in it, as well as Bartok, but reconfigured in John Williams inimitable style, so your reference to it in the pic is very apt.

Btw, I am definitely up for the X5 when it comes out. I'm very excited! I will be listening to it via the triple-fis, reconfigured by UM with their Silver cables. What would you think of that combination?


Don't get me wrong but I think triplefi's are not the best monitors you can find for your lovely classical music. I also like classical music, I would choose something more balanced, less recessed mids.

 

On the other hand X5 is quite neutral and micro detail monster, I am sure it would pair nicely. It is just me, not liking the sound of TF10.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › FiiO X5 preview world tour--tour members, claim your souvenir for the X5 tour! p.123