Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › FiiO X5 preview world tour--tour members, claim your souvenir for the X5 tour! p.123
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

FiiO X5 preview world tour--tour members, claim your souvenir for the X5 tour! p.123 - Page 30

post #436 of 1895
Quote:
Originally Posted by goody View Post
 

Great impressions!!! will the dac functionality work with an imac?

Works with my Macbook Pro (OS X 10.9.1) flawlessly

post #437 of 1895
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekingduck View Post
 

Works with my Macbook Pro (OS X 10.9.1) flawlessly

Excellent thanks

post #438 of 1895

Aother question when you say neutral does that mean it has a lean bass and the eq needs to be used to bring out the various frequencies more...I tend to lean towards a warmish bassy sound like my Z1070


Edited by goody - 1/22/14 at 3:55am
post #439 of 1895

To my ears it's in the middle. Not lean, but not warmish bassy either. IMO It has just the right amount.

post #440 of 1895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko View Post


Pretty sure Joe said it was on the list for an upcoming update

:smile:

post #441 of 1895
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brooko View Post

 

* Gapless works well - just a very slight delay so not completely smooth transition - but good enough for me.
 

 

Can you elaborate on that, I would be concerned if gapless is not 100% gapless. Even the slightest break would put me off. 

post #442 of 1895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko View Post
 

Received mine today (the first of the Oceania tour recipients).

 

Just very quick impressions (initial).

 

  1. Packaging - good box, compact, very good accessories - well thought out
    (Silicone case, charging cable, 3.5mm to RCA cable, micro CD card adaptor dongle, screen protectors)
     
  2. The unit itself (physically)
    Build quality looks very good.  Bigger than I expected.  Bigger than my iPhone but smaller than most smartphone + amp combos.  Buttons pretty good - scroll wheel smooth (taking a while getting used to though).
    Screen - easy to read, well laid out, good use of fonts - slick.
    Came with battery pre-charged on this unit (thanks Joe!)
     
  3. UI
    Pretty snappy.  Smooth flow through menus etc.  No real bugs so far - just some things that could be improved on.
    Likes
    * once cards are initially loaded (this takes some time - I'm using 2 fully loaded 64gb SDXC - approx 4500 FLAC files) then no need to scan again.  Means boot times very quick.  Great for those of us who don't update library daily.
    * folder mode works well
    * tag reading - including embedded artwork working nicely
    * genre, album, artist tags all being picked up - rendered useless by issues with multiple albums though (thank goodness for folder mode)
    Dislikes / Needs Work
    * folder.jpg and cover.jpg not working (not displaying cover art) - at this stage, needs to be embedded in tags
    * music tags (artist, album, genre) all work to one level only.  After that multiple albums all listed by file name (all mixed up) - folder mode works though
    * when going 'back' eg from playing mode to files - you always get dumped into the 'files' list.  I'd prefer to always default to artist.  Or to simply go up one level.

    More soon - will take a while to really nail everything down.
     
  4. Other Features
    * USB DAC driver won't load (Win 8.1 64b).  may be some of the software I'm running in the background.  I need to look further into this later (this weekend when i have more time)
    * Gapless works well - just a very slight delay so not completely smooth transition - but good enough for me.
    * Buttons becoming more intuitive as I get used to the unit
     
  5. Sonics
    It sounds good - no it sounds great.  So far I've tried it with my DN-1000s, my HD600s and my DT880 (250 ohm).  No problems driving any of the H/Ps.  I'm using high gain with the Beyers - no distortion or clipping - just crystal clear sound.  I level matched the X5 with my desktop SS DAC/amp (NFB-12) using an SPL - and did a quick A/B using same flac file.  In a blind test I think I'd have been hard put to tell them apart (using DT880s).  So the X5 is driving them really well.  Sound is crystal clear, quite neutral, but still quite full sounding (definitely not thin).  Very impressed so far.  Have a lot more listening and comparing to do over next few days

 

These just brief initial impressions - I'll add photos later.

 

Thanks Fiio - I'm really enjoying this opportunity

 

Paul

wow, i can hardly wait ...if you had a chance to test the equalizer out to see how responsive it is?

post #443 of 1895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko View Post
 

Received mine today (the first of the Oceania tour recipients).

 

Just very quick impressions (initial).

 

  1. Packaging - good box, compact, very good accessories - well thought out
    (Silicone case, charging cable, 3.5mm to RCA cable, micro CD card adaptor dongle, screen protectors)
     
  2. The unit itself (physically)
    Build quality looks very good.  Bigger than I expected.  Bigger than my iPhone but smaller than most smartphone + amp combos.  Buttons pretty good - scroll wheel smooth (taking a while getting used to though).
    Screen - easy to read, well laid out, good use of fonts - slick.
    Came with battery pre-charged on this unit (thanks Joe!)
     
  3. UI
    Pretty snappy.  Smooth flow through menus etc.  No real bugs so far - just some things that could be improved on.
    Likes
    * once cards are initially loaded (this takes some time - I'm using 2 fully loaded 64gb SDXC - approx 4500 FLAC files) then no need to scan again.  Means boot times very quick.  Great for those of us who don't update library daily.
    * folder mode works well
    * tag reading - including embedded artwork working nicely
    * genre, album, artist tags all being picked up - rendered useless by issues with multiple albums though (thank goodness for folder mode)
    Dislikes / Needs Work
    * folder.jpg and cover.jpg not working (not displaying cover art) - at this stage, needs to be embedded in tags
    * music tags (artist, album, genre) all work to one level only.  After that multiple albums all listed by file name (all mixed up) - folder mode works though
    * when going 'back' eg from playing mode to files - you always get dumped into the 'files' list.  I'd prefer to always default to artist.  Or to simply go up one level.

    More soon - will take a while to really nail everything down.
     
  4. Other Features
    * USB DAC driver won't load (Win 8.1 64b).  may be some of the software I'm running in the background.  I need to look further into this later (this weekend when i have more time)
    * Gapless works well - just a very slight delay so not completely smooth transition - but good enough for me.
    * Buttons becoming more intuitive as I get used to the unit
     
  5. Sonics
    It sounds good - no it sounds great.  So far I've tried it with my DN-1000s, my HD600s and my DT880 (250 ohm).  No problems driving any of the H/Ps.  I'm using high gain with the Beyers - no distortion or clipping - just crystal clear sound.  I level matched the X5 with my desktop SS DAC/amp (NFB-12) using an SPL - and did a quick A/B using same flac file.  In a blind test I think I'd have been hard put to tell them apart (using DT880s).  So the X5 is driving them really well.  Sound is crystal clear, quite neutral, but still quite full sounding (definitely not thin).  Very impressed so far.  Have a lot more listening and comparing to do over next few days

 

These just brief initial impressions - I'll add photos later.

 

Thanks Fiio - I'm really enjoying this opportunity

 

Paul

 

Thanks Paul! Been waiting for your impressions...the more I read, the more I am dead set on getting one of these when they go international.

post #444 of 1895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko View Post
 

Received mine today (the first of the Oceania tour recipients).

 

Just very quick impressions (initial).

 

  1. Packaging - good box, compact, very good accessories - well thought out
    (Silicone case, charging cable, 3.5mm to RCA cable, micro CD card adaptor dongle, screen protectors)
     
  2. The unit itself (physically)
    Build quality looks very good.  Bigger than I expected.  Bigger than my iPhone but smaller than most smartphone + amp combos.  Buttons pretty good - scroll wheel smooth (taking a while getting used to though).
    Screen - easy to read, well laid out, good use of fonts - slick.
    Came with battery pre-charged on this unit (thanks Joe!)
     
  3. UI
    Pretty snappy.  Smooth flow through menus etc.  No real bugs so far - just some things that could be improved on.
    Likes
    * once cards are initially loaded (this takes some time - I'm using 2 fully loaded 64gb SDXC - approx 4500 FLAC files) then no need to scan again.  Means boot times very quick.  Great for those of us who don't update library daily.
    * folder mode works well
    * tag reading - including embedded artwork working nicely
    * genre, album, artist tags all being picked up - rendered useless by issues with multiple albums though (thank goodness for folder mode)
    Dislikes / Needs Work
    * folder.jpg and cover.jpg not working (not displaying cover art) - at this stage, needs to be embedded in tags
    * music tags (artist, album, genre) all work to one level only.  After that multiple albums all listed by file name (all mixed up) - folder mode works though
    * when going 'back' eg from playing mode to files - you always get dumped into the 'files' list.  I'd prefer to always default to artist.  Or to simply go up one level.

    More soon - will take a while to really nail everything down.
     
  4. Other Features
    * USB DAC driver won't load (Win 8.1 64b).  may be some of the software I'm running in the background.  I need to look further into this later (this weekend when i have more time)
    * Gapless works well - just a very slight delay so not completely smooth transition - but good enough for me.
    * Buttons becoming more intuitive as I get used to the unit
     
  5. Sonics
    It sounds good - no it sounds great.  So far I've tried it with my DN-1000s, my HD600s and my DT880 (250 ohm).  No problems driving any of the H/Ps.  I'm using high gain with the Beyers - no distortion or clipping - just crystal clear sound.  I level matched the X5 with my desktop SS DAC/amp (NFB-12) using an SPL - and did a quick A/B using same flac file.  In a blind test I think I'd have been hard put to tell them apart (using DT880s).  So the X5 is driving them really well.  Sound is crystal clear, quite neutral, but still quite full sounding (definitely not thin).  Very impressed so far.  Have a lot more listening and comparing to do over next few days

 

These just brief initial impressions - I'll add photos later.

 

Thanks Fiio - I'm really enjoying this opportunity

 

Paul

great initial fast impressions, cant wait for me to get the asian tour ones


Edited by noobandroid - 1/22/14 at 6:28am
post #445 of 1895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko View Post
 

Received mine today (the first of the Oceania tour recipients).

 

Just very quick impressions (initial).

 

 

Other Features
* USB DAC driver won't load (Win 8.1 64b).  may be some of the software I'm running in the background.  I need to look further into this later (this weekend when i have more time)

 

These just brief initial impressions - I'll add photos later.

 

Thanks Fiio - I'm really enjoying this opportunity

 

Paul

 

Paul, Joe gave me this reference on how to disable driver signature enforcement in Windows 8.1 below. I had the exact same issue and once I did what's in the video below and re-installed the driver I was good to go.

 

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM1MN8QZhnk

 

Jon


Edited by musicheaven - 1/22/14 at 8:20am
post #446 of 1895

Slightly off topic ..but not really! I'd like to print off all of this topic (and the larger X5 one) to read away from my PC. On other forums I use there is a way of getting say 60 posts per page when printing, to save so many separate prints. Am I missing something on Head-Fi to do this?

post #447 of 1895

So... I guess I should start a classified for my X3s... #JustSaying

 

Using the X5 with the Beyer T5p's at work at the moment. No EQ, 2 microSD 64gb loaded with FLACs (16 bit 44 personal CD Rips) and MP3s (but only "Updated the library for 1 of the microSD cards... mentioned a "problem" a few pages before), playing "All Songs" with Shuffle mode on. As of this day, no freezes while playing, no weird side-effects, etc.

 

Regarding album pictures, well, I used dBpoweramp to rip my CDs and if I'm not mistaken this software doesn't embed pictures but actually puts a jpeg on the folder. I haven't had a problem with Album art! Right now I'm playing "Orquesta Zodiac" and the album art shows, the same for Autopilot-Off, etc. All of these were ripped with dBpoweramp. So, not sure if it's due to file size (I think I selected mostly 750x750 or less!!!) or what...

 

Anyway, working on some notes and how to organize the mini-review for this player.

It's definitely an improvement from the X3 on many fronts, from the UI, to the navigating, to the sound.

 

So far I like it. :D 

 

 

 

P.S. Troubleshooting that "Library update freeze" thingie I mentioned before, is the process of reading files to create the library ignoring every file that is NOT an audio file? (i.e. I know some of my HDTracks and other bought CDs have liner notes and what not which I DON'T delete).


Edited by gelocks - 1/22/14 at 10:13am
post #448 of 1895
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelocks View Post

So... I guess I should start a classified for my X3s... #JustSaying

Using the X5 with the Beyer T5p's at work at the moment. No EQ, 2 microSD 64gb loaded with FLACs (16 bit 44 personal CD Rips) and MP3s (but only "Updated the library for 1 of the microSD cards... mentioned a "problem" a few pages before), playing "All Songs" with Shuffle mode on. As of this day, no freezes while playing, no weird side-effects, etc.

Regarding album pictures, well, I used dBpoweramp to rip my CDs and if I'm not mistaken this software doesn't embed pictures but actually puts a jpeg on the folder. I haven't had a problem with Album art! Right now I'm playing "Orquesta Zodiac" and the album art shows, the same for Autopilot-Off, etc. All of these were ripped with dBpoweramp. So, not sure if it's due to file size (I think I selected mostly 750x750 or less!!!) or what...

Anyway, working on some notes and how to organize the mini-review for this player.
It's definitely an improvement from the X3 on many fronts, from the UI, to the navigating, to the sound.

So far I like it. biggrin.gif  

P.S. Troubleshooting that "Library update freeze" thingie I mentioned before, is the process of reading files to create the library ignoring every file that is NOT an audio file? (i.e. I know some of my HDTracks and other bought CDs have liner notes and what not which I DON'T delete).

In principle it should ignore files it can't process (it processes cue files, lyrics files and album cover art as well as songs) but do let us know what you find. I wouldn't stress over this too much though--James has stated that these are limitations of the current beta firmware and will be fixed before worldwide launch:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesFiiO View Post

yes, this is a bugs and will be fixed in the new firmware.

I'm going to hold him to his word and ask him to make sure there is indeed at least one major revision to the database system before the X5 launches worldwide. Am I being insubordinate? tongue.gif
Edited by Joe Bloggs - 1/22/14 at 10:44am
post #449 of 1895
Quote:
Originally Posted by goody View Post
 

Aother question when you say neutral does that mean it has a lean bass and the eq needs to be used to bring out the various frequencies more...I tend to lean towards a warmish bassy sound like my Z1070

 

No - neutral means neutral.  Bass is definitely all there.  If anything, there is a very slight tinge of warmth in the overall signature IMO.  Definitely not lean.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamling View Post
 

 

Can you elaborate on that, I would be concerned if gapless is not 100% gapless. Even the slightest break would put me off. 

 

I'm at work now for the next 8-10 hours.  I will elaborate more when I get a chance to put a few more lossless albums through it.  I only used "Wish You Were Here" initially.  Will listyen to some Porcupine Tree throughout the day and advise later. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by peareye View Post
 

wow, i can hardly wait ...if you had a chance to test the equalizer out to see how responsive it is?

 

Only liustened to the presets so far.  Will tinker with EQ tonight.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleasbaby View Post
 

 

Thanks Paul! Been waiting for your impressions...the more I read, the more I am dead set on getting one of these when they go international.

 

No probs - just remember these are early impressions.  I've had this now for less than 24 hours.  In-depth stuff will come over the next 2-3 days ;) 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicheaven View Post
 

 

Paul, Joe gave me this reference on how to disable driver signature enforcement in Windows 8.1 below. I had the exact same issue and once I did what's in the video below and re-installed the driver I was good to go.

 

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM1MN8QZhnk

 

Jon

 

Jon - thanks.  I'll try this tonight.

post #450 of 1895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko View Post

No - neutral means neutral.  Bass is definitely all there.  If anything, there is a very slight tinge of warmth in the overall signature IMO.  Definitely not lean.


I'm at work now for the next 8-10 hours.  I will elaborate more when I get a chance to put a few more lossless albums through it.  I only used "Wish You Were Here" initially.  Will listyen to some Porcupine Tree throughout the day and advise later. 


Only liustened to the presets so far.  Will tinker with EQ tonight.


No probs - just remember these are early impressions.  I've had this now for less than 24 hours.  In-depth stuff will come over the next 2-3 days wink.gif  


Jon - thanks.  I'll try this tonight.

Duly noted sir smily_headphones1.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › FiiO X5 preview world tour--tour members, claim your souvenir for the X5 tour! p.123