or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › FiiO X5 preview world tour--tour members, claim your souvenir for the X5 tour! p.123
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

FiiO X5 preview world tour--tour members, claim your souvenir for the X5 tour! p.123 - Page 113

post #1681 of 1895
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjw321 View Post

But that will only shuffle through the songs in the database which is limited to about 7,000 - or am I confused?

Yes, that's the problem so far.
post #1682 of 1895

tjw321 - I think the 7,000 - 8,000 song limitation is only temporary if what I am reading from James' response to you about two weeks ago 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjw321 View Post
 

Is that a permanent limitation? I would have thought that with two 128GB cards in you could exceed this limit, even in lossless formats (correct me if I'm wrong).

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesFiiO View Post
 

 

not , the maximum quantity of the sound track base is about 7,000-8,000, so it should have not problem. BTW, we tested XX100 and it can supports up to 3,500

 
I think James "not"  = "no"  
 
I have not been able to get over 7,000 with my two 64GB cards as most of my stuff is full res FLAC or ALAC as well as some big DSD files in FW1.15Beta.  I don't know whether the limitation is still there in FW1.17Beta.
 
Anyway no one reputable is shipping 128GB micro SD cards yet (Amazon = "in stock on March 26" > I'll believe it when I see it ... and B&H  "New Item, Available for Pre-order") So unless someone has some grey marketeer going wild out there?
post #1683 of 1895
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobC View Post
 

tjw321 - I think the 7,000 - 8,000 song limitation is only temporary if what I am reading from James' response to you about two weeks ago 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjw321 View Post
 

Is that a permanent limitation? I would have thought that with two 128GB cards in you could exceed this limit, even in lossless formats (correct me if I'm wrong).

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesFiiO View Post
 

 

not , the maximum quantity of the sound track base is about 7,000-8,000, so it should have not problem. BTW, we tested XX100 and it can supports up to 3,500

 
I think James "not"  = "no"  
 
I have not been able to get over 7,000 with my two 64GB cards as most of my stuff is full res FLAC or ALAC as well as some big DSD files in FW1.15Beta.  I don't know whether the limitation is still there in FW1.17Beta.
 
Anyway no one reputable is shipping 128GB micro SD cards yet (Amazon = "in stock on March 26" > I'll believe it when I see it ... and B&H  "New Item, Available for Pre-order") So unless someone has some grey marketeer going wild out there?

I Got A SD128gb from best buy in 2 days but the price was $199.00

post #1684 of 1895
Quote:
Originally Posted by henwell View Post
 

I Got A SD128gb from best buy in 2 days but the price was $199.00

 

That's great!   Forgive my cynicism.  Wow $199.  That's  more than half the expected price of the X5.  Did James say that he can source the cards for less than that at Jd I think for $140 US ??. 

post #1685 of 1895

I got my 128gb card on Amazon for 119. Got it about a week ago. 

post #1686 of 1895

Great! I've noticed an OEM card for $94.01 on Amazon. Grey market garbage? What make is yours?

post #1687 of 1895

I don't know if I would trust this vendor, it says just launched. Like @jamato8 I got mine for 119, have not received it yet because I ordered it late.

post #1688 of 1895
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobC View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by henwell View Post
 

I Got A SD128gb from best buy in 2 days but the price was $199.00

 

That's great!   Forgive my cynicism.  Wow $199.  That's  more than half the expected price of the X5.  Did James say that he can source the cards for less than that at Jd I think for $140 US ??. 

Did get another one from Amazon San Disk SD128 took about 2 weeks for $119.00


Edited by henwell - 3/22/14 at 4:34pm
post #1689 of 1895
@RobC

My understanding from the discussion we were having a few pages back in the thread is that the ~7k song limit in the library is a permanent limitation related to the amount of RAM in the device. Very disappointing for me personally since I have easily 5-6x that much music, but it still appears to be the best all around player for my application. If FiiO does decide to do a new model without this limitation, I will likely be first in line to get one.

On that note, can anyone comment on the limitations/differences when using the folder structure? Does it show up as a single "drive" or are the cards split? Someone mentioned not being able to use shuffle, but what else can't be done? Are there any advantages to using it this way other than bypassing the song limit? Any insight anyone has would be awesome.
post #1690 of 1895
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordhumungus View Post

@RobC

My understanding from the discussion we were having a few pages back in the thread is that the ~7k song limit in the library is a permanent limitation related to the amount of RAM in the device. Very disappointing for me personally since I have easily 5-6x that much music, but it still appears to be the best all around player for my application. If FiiO does decide to do a new model without this limitation, I will likely be first in line to get one.

On that note, can anyone comment on the limitations/differences when using the folder structure? Does it show up as a single "drive" or are the cards split? Someone mentioned not being able to use shuffle, but what else can't be done? Are there any advantages to using it this way other than bypassing the song limit? Any insight anyone has would be awesome.

I have suggested to the devs that they could perhaps store the media library files on the SD cards instead of internal memory to bypass the limit, but I don't know if this is really possible.

The cards are split--as someone noted before, if there were an identically named folder on the two cards at the same path this could lead to bad things if we tried to make the two cards appear as one drive.

The advantage to folder browsing is you can order the files in your own choice of folder structure and potentially be able to browse through your songs more efficiently than the default artist / album / genre categorization. Or your songs may not be tagged properly in the first place but organized by folders, in which case folder browsing may be the only way to go.

If the converse (properly tagged files in jumbled folder order) is your situation, you could use something like mp3tag to put your files into folders automatically according to their tags.
post #1691 of 1895
Thread Starter 
I've heard from James that there are people still wanting to be on the X5 tour. Could those of you who want in on the tour now put your hands up in this thread (and let me know your rough location!) and we'll see if there's an X5 still around your part of the world?
Edited by Joe Bloggs - 3/23/14 at 7:34pm
post #1692 of 1895
I'd be interested in hearing it, but am not great at DAC/source reviews (Australia)
post #1693 of 1895
ps does it support folder only navigation or only tag based,
and if so, is shuffle playback supported from both cards at once, or only one at a time?
post #1694 of 1895
Quote:
Originally Posted by svyr View Post

ps does it support folder only navigation or only tag based,
and if so, is shuffle playback supported from both cards at once, or only one at a time?

It supports both.

 

:rolleyes:

 

I believe only one card as of right now if you are in folder navigation of that specific card and full shuffle if you are in the tag based one. 

 

Please anyone correct me if I am wrong.

post #1695 of 1895
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post

It supports both.

rolleyes.gif

I believe only one card as of right now if you are in folder navigation of that specific card and full shuffle if you are in the tag based one. 

Please anyone correct me if I am wrong.

You're correct tongue.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › FiiO X5 preview world tour--tour members, claim your souvenir for the X5 tour! p.123