or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › FiiO X5 preview world tour--tour members, claim your souvenir for the X5 tour! p.123
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

FiiO X5 preview world tour--tour members, claim your souvenir for the X5 tour! p.123 - Page 94

post #1396 of 1895

I figured as much.

post #1397 of 1895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bloggs View Post


Hi cooper,

Though the lockscreen warning in 1.1 seems like an unnecessary touch, it shouldn't contribute that much to battery drain if it's only turning on the screen now and then. There was however another issue reported by musicheaven when the 1.1 firmware heated up the player to "hot" levels and depleted the battery very quickly--all this without turning on the screen of the X5. Have you been experiencing such a problem?

I made a possible bug report here for this problem
https://app.devzing.com/FiiO/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=57

 

Okay Joe. I will be patient. But for those of that own the X5 and walk around with it - as opposed to just testing it at home - I am afraid that the situation is more serious than you suggest. The front buttons get pushed quite constantly (which is why so many of us use Lockscreen 2 and also hope to have the future ability to have just the side volume keys unlocked).

 

I unfortunately cannot comment on your other question because of the issue that I am being patient on. Following a short and frustrating session with 1.1, I have been stuck back on 1.0 and will be so forever unless the lock screen warnings can be turned off.

post #1398 of 1895
Quote:
Originally Posted by chengsta View Post

Hey guys, I've got the x3 when it first came out and I pair it with my jds labs C5 amp (and turn on bass boost).  I'm addicted to the c5's bass, and I own a jh16 fp.  That being said, I was wondering if anyone who has used the x5 messed with the bass eq?  I think I already got a great setup, but at the same time I also like clarity and brightness (Like what I got from my car audio set up when I was younger).  I was thinking about maybe just getting the x5 and not using an amp with it, just maxing the bass.  Anyone got comparisons?  (Yeah yeah I know 'ewww bass head')


 



+1 (audiophile basshead here biggrin.gif)
post #1399 of 1895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post
 

 

Having just gotten the X5 from miceblue tonight, my first quick impressions are quite good. Given the recent conversations in the forum, I was worried that something may have gone wrong with the unit, but I don't think that is the case as it sounds great and handles anything I throw at it with great authority. I would just chalk the differences up to a difference in opinion or expectations, some sort of bad pairing, or some other uncontrollable circumstances. However, to put it into perspective, as miceblue mentioned above, he liked the X5 sound more than my DX50 (FW1.2.8) paired with my BH2 which sounds great as well. The X5 is definitely a step above by itself leaving no desire to add an amp. Now back to listening to see just how much of a step above. :L3000:

I'm curious if X5 can (and to what extent) handle LCD-2's. Mind giving it a listen? :)

post #1400 of 1895
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeycam View Post
 

I'm curious if X5 can (and to what extent) handle LCD-2's. Mind giving it a listen? :)


Since some people asked if X5 could drive HD800 before, so I gave it a try... the short answer is No... it could drive it to very loud vol, but the sound was really congested and unpleasant... I dont think X5 was designed to drive something as demanding without the help of another amp

post #1401 of 1895
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicHolyGhost View Post
 


Since some people asked if X5 could drive HD800 before, so I gave it a try... the short answer is No... it could drive it to very loud vol, but the sound was really congested and unpleasant... I dont think X5 was designed to drive something as demanding without the help of another amp

I guess it doesn't have enough voltage to drive HD800 - these are beasts and I wouldn't try to connect them to any DAP really, but I found LCD-2 to be easier to drive - hence the question. 

post #1402 of 1895
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeycam View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post
 

 

Having just gotten the X5 from miceblue tonight, my first quick impressions are quite good. Given the recent conversations in the forum, I was worried that something may have gone wrong with the unit, but I don't think that is the case as it sounds great and handles anything I throw at it with great authority. I would just chalk the differences up to a difference in opinion or expectations, some sort of bad pairing, or some other uncontrollable circumstances. However, to put it into perspective, as miceblue mentioned above, he liked the X5 sound more than my DX50 (FW1.2.8) paired with my BH2 which sounds great as well. The X5 is definitely a step above by itself leaving no desire to add an amp. Now back to listening to see just how much of a step above. :L3000:

I'm curious if X5 can (and to what extent) handle LCD-2's. Mind giving it a listen? :)

 

Last night I switched through my headphones to see how they sounded with the X5. I spent a half hour with the LCD2 and can say that they sound very good with the X5. However, that is not saying much because the LCD2s are fairly easy to drive and make most everything sound good. The LCD2s even sounds ok with my Clip Zip so I think it requires a little more explanation.

 

IMO, what is unique about the LCD2 is its ability to scale down extremely well. The LCD's signature changes significantly when scaling from warm and euphoric with a small congested sound stage with low end low power sources to crystal clear, punchy, black background, and a much more realistic sound stage with higher end higher power sources. Throughout the scale, the LCD2 has a very realistic "being there" sound. At the higher end of the scale, the signature ranges from laid back and rich with something like a Bryston BHA-1 to aggressive/engaging with my Mjolnir. The difference is being able to take a pleasant nap while listening to spending half your listening time up on top of your chair involuntarily playing air guitar. You know what i'm saying. :happy_face1:

 

My early impressions of the LCD2s with the X5 are this: The X5 has enough power that the LCD2 sound stage opens up a bit and the warmness clears up a lot, but not as much as a Mjolnir or Bryston that boast between 5 and 8 watts. However, the signature leans more toward the Bryston laid back signature than my Mjolnir's more aggressive signature. The most important point is that I don't feel the need to amp the X5 as the sound is very pleasing as is. It is a very full size and realistic sounding experience. It is not as good as through my Mjolnir, but that was never expected. Later this weekend I will try to use the X5 as a DAC to run my Mjolnir to see what happens.

 

However, the star of the show so far with the X5 is my CIEM, the Hidition NT6 Pro, that has never sounded so good before even with my desktop. More to come soon....

post #1403 of 1895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post
 

 

Last night I switched through my headphones to see how they sounded with the X5. I spent a half hour with the LCD2 and can say that they sound very good with the X5. However, that is not saying much because the LCD2s are fairly easy to drive and make most everything sound good. The LCD2s even sounds ok with my Clip Zip so I think it requires a little more explanation.

 

IMO, what is unique about the LCD2 is its ability to scale down extremely well. The LCD's signature changes significantly when scaling from warm and euphoric with a small congested sound stage with low end low power sources to crystal clear, punchy, black background, and a much more realistic sound stage with higher end higher power sources. Throughout the scale, the LCD2 has a very realistic "being there" sound. At the higher end of the scale, the signature ranges from laid back and rich with something like a Bryston BHA-1 to aggressive/engaging with my Mjolnir. The difference is being able to take a pleasant nap while listening to spending half your listening time up on top of your chair involuntarily playing air guitar. You know what i'm saying. :happy_face1:

 

My early impressions of the LCD2s with the X5 are this: The X5 has enough power that the LCD2 sound stage opens up a bit and the warmness clears up a lot, but not as much as a Mjolnir or Bryston that boast between 5 and 8 watts. However, the signature leans more toward the Bryston laid back signature than my Mjolnir's more aggressive signature. The most important point is that I don't feel the need to amp the X5 as the sound is very pleasing as is. It is a very full size and realistic sounding experience. It is not as good as through my Mjolnir, but that was never expected. Later this weekend I will try to use the X5 as a DAC to run my Mjolnir to see what happens.

 

However, the star of the show so far with the X5 is my CIEM, the Hidition NT6 Pro, that has never sounded so good before even with my desktop. More to come soon....

That's exactly what I needed! Thank you!

post #1404 of 1895

Hi, miceblue -

 

Just curious: did you notice if the X5's audio eccentricities were present across all the tracks all the time, across some of the tracks all the time, or across some of the tracks some of the time? If you repeated the same track two or more times, would the same idiosyncrasies persist on each occasion?

 

Many thanks,

Brian

 

:) 


Edited by bcarr112281 - 2/20/14 at 9:29pm
post #1405 of 1895
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarr112281 View Post

Hi, miceblue -

Just curious: did you notice if the X5's audio eccentricities were present across all the tracks all the time, across some of the tracks all the time, or across some of the tracks some of the time? If you repeated the same track two or more times, would the same idiosyncrasies persist on each occasion?

Many thanks,
Brian

smily_headphones1.gif  
I noticed them with most tracks I listened to (pretty much any song that has upper-midrange and lower-treble frequencies really), and I heard them all the time. And yup, they persisted on each occasion.

Maybe my ears are just really sensitive to those sounds. :s
post #1406 of 1895
Hi, just wondering, has anyone paired the X5 with AKG K3003? The neutral but slightly warm sound signature of X5 may compliment the neutral but slightly cold sound signature of K3003? But that is just my speculation.
post #1407 of 1895

http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-x5-high-res-portable-music-player/reviews/10536

 

My newbie review is up , it's kinda short , though . :tongue_smile:

post #1408 of 1895
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilosxdd View Post

http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-x5-high-res-portable-music-player/reviews/10536

My newbie review is up , it's kinda short , though . tongue_smile.gif

Looks detailed enough to me smily_headphones1.gif
post #1409 of 1895
I got a pretty hefty one coming up.
post #1410 of 1895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bloggs View Post

Looks detailed enough to me smily_headphones1.gif
biggrin.gif I hope camera won't be taken into consideration if there's a tour next time , my pictures' the worst among all previewers tongue.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › FiiO X5 preview world tour--tour members, claim your souvenir for the X5 tour! p.123