or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › FiiO X5 preview world tour--tour members, claim your souvenir for the X5 tour! p.123
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

FiiO X5 preview world tour--tour members, claim your souvenir for the X5 tour! p.123 - Page 77

post #1141 of 1895

Lee, this had occurred to me too but I suspect that it is just differences in impressions.

post #1142 of 1895

Different strokes for different folks ;)..

post #1143 of 1895
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodvibes View Post

I don't doubt what miceblue is hearing but the question is why. I suspect it may not be the unit and some synergy with what he's accustomed to. I've always found the classic/series kinda washed out and soft/diffused sounding. Doesn't speak to his home rig but things may be optimized for the result he likes. It's very easy to choose kit players and cables etc. for a particular result and I'm not saying anything is done wrong. We all go for a result.

 Could just be a duff unit as well. Happens to everyone. Nothing to freak about either way. Perhaps the 2 units in the US should cross paths at some point to see what's up. I suspect it's a fresh sample because he's not on the original preview list. 

Just wanted to clarify this, miceblue's unit was passed from lee730 to HK_sends to miceblue. Well, I hope it's not something bad happening to the unit in transit...
Edited by Joe Bloggs - 2/13/14 at 10:30pm
post #1144 of 1895

The classic to my ears was pretty lame. Made me not want to even listen to my music lol. Don't get me wrong, the UI is top notch and the build quality is superb. But the sound left so much to be desired... I fiddled around with my room mates unit for some time and no thank you. The iphone4 and the ipad however, did impress me enough to use them in a pinch.


Edited by lee730 - 2/13/14 at 10:33pm
post #1145 of 1895
Yeah I dunno what's up. >.>

MacBook -> Audirvana Plus -> Bright Songs Playlist -> ODAC -> O2 (some claim this amp sounds bright) -> K 701 (some say it's bright)
or
MacBook -> Audirvana Plus -> Bright Songs Playlist -> X5 (people say this is anything but bright) -> K 701 (some say it's bright)

I definitely get more fatigue while listening to the X5, even if the ODAC/O2 volume is audibly louder than the X5 *safe listening levels though*.

What's my Bright Songs Playlist?
post #1146 of 1895

Forgive me if these are idiotic questions, but I'm undoubtedly one of the less experienced tour participants. How can I ensure the X5 recognizes the music on my SD card? I used my computer to format the card as FAT32, then copied 6 GBs of FLAC files to it. The data on the card seems intact, but the X5 itself says, "No music found," or "TF card not found." What am I doing wrong?

 

Also, the X5's quick start guide has a header titled "Before using for the first time," comprising sections A-F. However, I don't see a section D; is there one? Indeed, my guide appears to have two pages stuck together, but if I try to separate them I'll certainly destroy the paper.

 

Thanks,

Brian

post #1147 of 1895
Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post

Yeah I dunno what's up. >.>

MacBook -> Audirvana Plus -> Bright Songs Playlist -> ODAC -> O2 (some claim this amp sounds bright) -> K 701 (some say it's bright)
or
MacBook -> Audirvana Plus -> Bright Songs Playlist -> X5 (people say this is anything but bright) -> K 701 (some say it's bright)

I definitely get more fatigue while listening to the X5, even if the ODAC/O2 volume is audibly louder than the X5 *safe listening levels though*.

What's my Bright Songs Playlist?

Is it possible like Joe mentioned that it was damaged? I think this is very unlikely that damaging a DAP would change its sound, but you never know...

post #1148 of 1895
I don't think the X5 was damaged in the shipping process. HK_sends definitely went above and beyond with the packing material.
post #1149 of 1895
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarr112281 View Post

Forgive me if these are idiotic questions, but I'm undoubtedly one of the less experienced tour participants. How can I ensure the X5 recognizes the music on my SD card? I used my computer to format the card as FAT32, then copied 6 GBs of FLAC files to it. The data on the card seems intact, but the X5 itself says, "No music found," or "TF card not found." What am I doing wrong?

Also, the X5's quick start guide has a header titled "Before using for the first time," comprising sections A-F. However, I don't see a section D; is there one? Indeed, my guide appears to have two pages stuck together, but if I try to separate them I'll certainly destroy the paper.

Thanks,
Brian
That seems to have happened to a few users, myself included. I rebooted the X5, inserted my SD card into the other slot, put it back into slot 1, and eventually it worked out. Not everyone seems to be having that kind of luck though.
post #1150 of 1895
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarr112281 View Post

Forgive me if these are idiotic questions, but I'm undoubtedly one of the less experienced tour participants. How can I ensure the X5 recognizes the music on my SD card? I used my computer to format the card as FAT32, then copied 6 GBs of FLAC files to it. The data on the card seems intact, but the X5 itself says, "No music found," or "TF card not found." What am I doing wrong?

Also, the X5's quick start guide has a header titled "Before using for the first time," comprising sections A-F. However, I don't see a section D; is there one? Indeed, my guide appears to have two pages stuck together, but if I try to separate them I'll certainly destroy the paper.

Thanks,
Brian
Hi bcarr,
You need to run a media scan for music to be found in some modes. In the main menu, scroll to System settings (gear / cog symbol) and hit the centre button (we'll call that the ok button). Then scroll to Update Media Lib and hit ok again to do a scan.

Alternatively you could use Browse Files (folder icon in the main menu) to look through your songs by filename without doing a media scan.

Finally, there's an electronic copy of the quick start guide and the full manual available here
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yt0cjq3dptq14mj/X5%20Quick%20start%20guide.pdf

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cek9xf0wk2osky7/X5%20full%20user%20manual.DOC
post #1151 of 1895
Thread Starter 
Hi bcarr,
If the x5 still cannot recognize your mSD card, you may want to format the card using the x5 itself. Go to system settings and select format tf card (or something like that) and select the slot you put the card into and hit the centre button. (slot 1 corresponds to the left slot on the x5.)
post #1152 of 1895
Well there it the possibility that the X5 goes brighter with burn in. AnakChan seemed to notice that. Not to the point of being fatiguing though.
post #1153 of 1895

Has anyone tried the Fiio X5 with the Audio Technica ATH-AD900X headphone? The Audio Technica is a detailed sounding headphone on its own, I wonder if it would be a good match with the Fiio


Edited by roamling - 2/14/14 at 2:01am
post #1154 of 1895
What if after the last person of the tour will give it back to the person who passed it to him for him to try again the X5. Its like round 2, and there they can specify if really something has change if the issue is burn in.

Like example:

lee730 > HK_sends > miceblue > HK_sends > lee730

And maybe with this they can come up or conclude things and see if they still have the same stand during their first encounter with the DAP.

Just suggesting here... ^__^
Edited by zeppu08 - 2/14/14 at 2:15am
post #1155 of 1895
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeppu08 View Post

What if after the last person of the tour will give it back to the person who passed it to him for him to try again the X5. Its like round 2, and there they can specify if really something has change if the issue is burn in.

Like example:

lee730 > HK_sends > miceblue > HK_sends > lee730

And maybe with this they can come up or conclude things and see if they still have the same stand during their first encounter with the DAP.

Just suggesting here... ^__^

How about

lee730 > HK_sends > miceblue > HK_sends > lee730>lee730 > HK_sends > miceblue > HK_sends > lee730...

Like the loop icon on the X5 biggrin.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › FiiO X5 preview world tour--tour members, claim your souvenir for the X5 tour! p.123