Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Hybrid IEM comparison requested: Astrotec AX60, DUNU DN1000, TPEOS H200
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hybrid IEM comparison requested: Astrotec AX60, DUNU DN1000, TPEOS H200

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 

I am reading a lot recently about hybrid IEMs given I am looking into buying a pair. Some reviews on individual products quote great performance for some mid range products.

 

Has anyone done a side-by-side comparison with the main products in this category?

 

Astrotec AX60

DUNU DN1000

TPEOS H200  

 

Any others that I missed (Tralucent 1Plus2?) and need to be added here?

post #2 of 16
Ive heard or owned all 3 of the hybrids you've listed. What do you want to know specifically? The best value in my opinion is the Dunu. 1plus2 is in an entire different league to those you've mentioned as it's $1000+ price suggests.
post #3 of 16
Thread Starter 

I am particularly interested in 

 

1) sound quality (if available amped / unamped)

2) noise isolation (I am traveling a lot)

3) build quality / durability

4) fit

 

Thanks!

post #4 of 16

Check these reviews and tour threads for the sound quality.

Dunu: http://www.head-fi.org/t/695577/review-dunu-dn1000-immensely-capable-hybrid-iem

T-Peos:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/661964/review-t-peos-h-200-3-way-hybrid-earphone-welcome-the-changes

Astrotec:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/687252/australian-tour-impressions-astrotec-ax60-hybrid-3-way-universal-iem-2-x-ba-dynamic-driver


Isolation: AX60 has the least due the shallow insertion, H-200 and DN-1000 are about even, remembering isolation is very much tip dependent and seal, you cannot judge isolation off a simple IEM housing, I don't understand how people can assume such a thing (not you) when isolation is coming from tips, insertion depth, fit, seal. Something here that always baffles me......

Build: All 3 are built rather well, with advantage to H-200 having removable cables. Although this seems like a nifty feature to have the proprietary  plugs T-Peos use makes life very hard for example, it's not so easy to go out and buy an upgrade cable for H-200. I assume getting a replacement stock cable will be no problems as T-Peos are very helpful with warranty, only a big part of having removable cables for us here is being able to upgrade to custom. T-Peos have come out with some however they never became very popular due their not so interesting price. On the Dunu you have rather short strain reliefs leading into the large housing, on a large housing something that worrys me, however they seem strong enough so far. AX60 has the better stock cable, it's thicker giving a feeling of confidence. The reviews will tell you more about this subject. (read the thread links for more info)

Fit: I've read fitting problems on all 3, you must research. I only had problems with AX60 to some extent.


Now time for a story.....

I owned H-200 for about 6 months, really enjoyed it's rather energetic signature and bass texture, I found it quite superior for my preferences over Westone 4, (which I sold keeping the H-200) however if we're going to strip it down I also found H-200 a little fatiguing for long listening sessions and lacking in soundstage width, keep in mind some people don't hear this narrow stage but I often wonder what their point of reference is. I also discovered higher volumes emitted the most clarity and detail, you kind of needed to extract the detail rather than come across effortlessly, it was however wonderful for on the go and I loved it, enough to spend crazy amounts of money on an upgrade cable from Korea. Then, I was offered an opportunity to demo AX60 which you'll read about in the tour thread.

I thought it was great, immersive soundstage meaty bass response but maybe a touch loose or bloated, as you will read some members hear AX60's low end lacks speed and others feel a disjointness between the dynamic driver and balanced armature. I personally couldn't hear this and happily listened away. I found it to have a touch more detail than H-200 and especially wider staging, it also has a special kind of timbre that blends in with the clarity giving it a semi hi end sound, but I couldn't help disagree slightly with it's mid range tonality which was a touch warm for my tastes, I would of much preferred AX60 to lean a little cooler and with less low end emphasis.  I was almost sold on purchasing one though, the immersive staging and impressive coherency had me won over. I had even organized with a local online store here to order....

Then, then came DN-1000 which a kind member offered to let me audition as I didn't believe all the nonsense in the thread. Soon as I heard the Dunu I thought YES, this is where I want to be, it had the staging, the crisp clean tonality and detail I was looking for, also sounds rather classy within it's timbre, I started questioning how it sounded next to my H-200 and thinking about AX60's warmer mid range, the Dunu just sounded cleaner and clearer, more transparent than the other two. I become rather swept away in a matter of days never getting out of my mind 'this is where I want to be'. On the fourth day weighing up the $100 less price tag of DN-1000 next to AX60, I honestly couldn't see where the extra $100 was going, especially when Dunu had the tonality I wanted and AX60 being a touch warm. Mean while, my H-200 were just sitting there (well they were actually on loan), boredom maybe, after 6 months and immunity of it's signature? Hmm...

In the end I forgot about AX60 and ordered DN-1000, within one week of receiving them sold my H-200 and never looked back. DN-1000 is one of the best purchases I made all year and one of the best hybrids I've heard in 2013. (besides 1Plus2 which we spoke is completely different beast) Remembering this is just me and my preferences, however there's many of us out there who think the Dunu is better value for money over AX60, and well H-200, it's kind of February 2013 and many of us have moved on....

I hope you enjoyed my story finding it beneficial to your purchase.



 


Edited by H20Fidelity - 12/19/13 at 5:25pm
post #5 of 16
Sony H1, H2, H3
Aurisonics ASG2
Upcoming Unique Melody 2X, 3X
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post
 

Now time for a story.....

I owned H-200 for about 6 months, really enjoyed it's rather energetic signature and bass texture, I found it quite superior for my preferences over Westone 4, (which I sold keeping the H-200) however if we're going to strip it down I also found H-200 a little fatiguing for long listening sessions and lacking in soundstage width, keep in mind some people don't hear this narrow stage but I often wonder what their point of reference is. I also discovered higher volumes emitted the most clarity and detail, you kind of needed to extract the detail rather than come across effortlessly, it was however wonderful for on the go and I loved it, enough to spend crazy amounts of money on an upgrade cable from Korea. Then, I was offered an opportunity to demo AX60 which you'll read about in the tour thread.

I thought it was great, immersive soundstage meaty bass response but maybe a touch loose or bloated, as you will read some members hear AX60's low end lacks speed and others feel a disjointness between the dynamic driver and balanced armature. I personally couldn't hear this and happily listened away. I found it to have a touch more detail than H-200 and especially wider staging, it also has a special kind of timbre that blends in with the clarity giving it a semi hi end sound, but I couldn't help disagree slightly with it's mid range tonality which was a touch warm for my tastes, I would of much preferred AX60 to lean a little cooler and with less low end emphasis.  I was almost sold on purchasing one though, the immersive staging and impressive coherency had me won over. I had even organized with a local online store here to order....

Then, then came DN-1000 which a kind member offered to let me audition as I didn't believe all the nonsense in the thread. Soon as I heard the Dunu I thought YES, this is where I want to be, it had the staging, the crisp clean tonality and detail I was looking for, also sounds rather classy within it's timbre, I started questioning how it sounded next to my H-200 and thinking about AX60's warmer mid range, the Dunu just sounded cleaner and clearer, more transparent than the other two. I become rather swept away in a matter of days never getting out of my mind 'this is where I want to be'. On the fourth day weighing up the $100 less price tag of DN-1000 next to AX60, I honestly couldn't see where the extra $100 was going, especially when Dunu had the tonality I wanted and AX60 being a touch warm. Mean while, my H-200 were just sitting there (well they were actually on loan), boredom maybe, after 6 months and immunity of it's signature? Hmm...

In the end I forgot about AX60 and ordered DN-1000, within one week of receiving them sold my H-200 and never looked back. DN-1000 is one of the best purchases I made all year and one of the best hybrids I've heard in 2013. (besides 1Plus2 which we spoke is completely different beast) Remembering this is just me and my preferences, however there's many of us out there who think the Dunu is better value for money over AX60, and well H-200, it's kind of February 2013 and many of us have moved on....

I hope you enjoyed my story finding it beneficial to your purchase.



 

 

Tell us more!

 

Especially about this 1plus2 beast you encountered :popcorn: 

post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by getclikinagas View Post
 

 

Tell us more!

 

Especially about this 1plus2 beast you encountered :popcorn: 



1Plus2 remains the most desirable hybrid (and overall IEM) I've heard, also strongest from a technical stand point. It has bass impact and dynamics you truly feel rather than hear, it was mentally fatiguing due to so much going on in association  with the laser sharp imaging and super high end detail levels, kind of pushing the boundaries of what's possible with current technology. Tralucent's hybrid comes across as the top dog or alpha male of the universal in ear monitor world simply crushing a majority of it's opponents with ease most likely leaving you asking yourself what the hell you've been doing wasting your time with all the other gear you purchased.

 Like the Terminator of 2013.

post #8 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post
 

Check these reviews and tour threads for the sound quality.

Dunu: http://www.head-fi.org/t/695577/review-dunu-dn1000-immensely-capable-hybrid-iem

T-Peos:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/661964/review-t-peos-h-200-3-way-hybrid-earphone-welcome-the-changes

Astrotec:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/687252/australian-tour-impressions-astrotec-ax60-hybrid-3-way-universal-iem-2-x-ba-dynamic-driver


Isolation: AX60 has the least due the shallow insertion, H-200 and DN-1000 are about even, remembering isolation is very much tip dependent and seal, you cannot judge isolation off a simple IEM housing, I don't understand how people can assume such a thing (not you) when isolation is coming from tips, insertion depth, fit, seal. Something here that always baffles me......

Build: All 3 are built rather well, with advantage to H-200 having removable cables. Although this seems like a nifty feature to have the proprietary  plugs T-Peos use makes life very hard for example, it's not so easy to go out and buy an upgrade cable for H-200. I assume getting a replacement stock cable will be no problems as T-Peos are very helpful with warranty, only a big part of having removable cables for us here is being able to upgrade to custom. T-Peos have come out with some however they never became very popular due their not so interesting price. On the Dunu you have rather short strain reliefs leading into the large housing, on a large housing something that worrys me, however they seem strong enough so far. AX60 has the better stock cable, it's thicker giving a feeling of confidence. The reviews will tell you more about this subject. (read the thread links for more info)

Fit: I've read fitting problems on all 3, you must research. I only had problems with AX60 to some extent.


Now time for a story.....

I owned H-200 for about 6 months, really enjoyed it's rather energetic signature and bass texture, I found it quite superior for my preferences over Westone 4, (which I sold keeping the H-200) however if we're going to strip it down I also found H-200 a little fatiguing for long listening sessions and lacking in soundstage width, keep in mind some people don't hear this narrow stage but I often wonder what their point of reference is. I also discovered higher volumes emitted the most clarity and detail, you kind of needed to extract the detail rather than come across effortlessly, it was however wonderful for on the go and I loved it, enough to spend crazy amounts of money on an upgrade cable from Korea. Then, I was offered an opportunity to demo AX60 which you'll read about in the tour thread.

I thought it was great, immersive soundstage meaty bass response but maybe a touch loose or bloated, as you will read some members hear AX60's low end lacks speed and others feel a disjointness between the dynamic driver and balanced armature. I personally couldn't hear this and happily listened away. I found it to have a touch more detail than H-200 and especially wider staging, it also has a special kind of timbre that blends in with the clarity giving it a semi hi end sound, but I couldn't help disagree slightly with it's mid range tonality which was a touch warm for my tastes, I would of much preferred AX60 to lean a little cooler and with less low end emphasis.  I was almost sold on purchasing one though, the immersive staging and impressive coherency had me won over. I had even organized with a local online store here to order....

Then, then came DN-1000 which a kind member offered to let me audition as I didn't believe all the nonsense in the thread. Soon as I heard the Dunu I thought YES, this is where I want to be, it had the staging, the crisp clean tonality and detail I was looking for, also sounds rather classy within it's timbre, I started questioning how it sounded next to my H-200 and thinking about AX60's warmer mid range, the Dunu just sounded cleaner and clearer, more transparent than the other two. I become rather swept away in a matter of days never getting out of my mind 'this is where I want to be'. On the fourth day weighing up the $100 less price tag of DN-1000 next to AX60, I honestly couldn't see where the extra $100 was going, especially when Dunu had the tonality I wanted and AX60 being a touch warm. Mean while, my H-200 were just sitting there (well they were actually on loan), boredom maybe, after 6 months and immunity of it's signature? Hmm...

In the end I forgot about AX60 and ordered DN-1000, within one week of receiving them sold my H-200 and never looked back. DN-1000 is one of the best purchases I made all year and one of the best hybrids I've heard in 2013. (besides 1Plus2 which we spoke is completely different beast) Remembering this is just me and my preferences, however there's many of us out there who think the Dunu is better value for money over AX60, and well H-200, it's kind of February 2013 and many of us have moved on....

I hope you enjoyed my story finding it beneficial to your purchase.



 

 

thanks a lot H20Fidelity for sharing your experience, this is really helpful! I read other stories, too, which are mostly in favor of the D-1K, too. I am in for a try. 

 

Do you have any advice on benefits of amping? They seem to have all low impedance so an amp is not necessary. Would the SQ benefit from an amp?

post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyph3r View Post
 

 

thanks a lot H20Fidelity for sharing your experience, this is really helpful! I read other stories, too, which are mostly in favor of the D-1K, too. I am in for a try. 

 

Do you have any advice on benefits of amping? They seem to have all low impedance so an amp is not necessary. Would the SQ benefit from an amp?


Being 10ohms DN-1000 really doesn't require an amp, however I found it does respond well with the rather popular $100 C&C BH amp taking the soundstage to a wider level and helps offer some more refinement, and using the amps LF switch gives the  bass boost in texture and clarity, remembering it's not absolutely required, and more for tinkering around. H-200 responded well to BH amp too. I never tried amping AX60. The other two (H-200 and DN-1000) made fame into C&C BH amps "crazy synergy list" authored by myself, because I felt the pairings sit well and I don't just add any random IEM or headphone. A slight increase in vocal sibilance with the Dunu but overall quite welcome.

You can read about the BH amp here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/644363/c-c-bh-portable-headphone-amp-80-hours-from-a-single-charge-buyer-review

Great little amp, runs for 80 hours a charge, merely the footprint of a credit card. Really fun piece of audio equipment.

post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by xaddictionx View Post

Sony H1, H2, H3
Aurisonics ASG2
Upcoming Unique Melody 2X, 3X

 

I've just ordered the 3X, I thought about Sony but price wise, the H3 is too expensive (H3 is more expensive than 3X), and to me, UM has much more credibility compared to Sony

 

Once I receive my 3X, I will be reviewing them for sure, with comparison to H-200, DN-1000, DN-900, AX-60, and LSX5 :wink_face: 

post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post



1Plus2 remains the most desirable hybrid (and overall IEM) I've heard, also strongest from a technical stand point. It has bass impact and dynamics you truly feel rather than hear, it was mentally fatiguing due to so much going on in association  with the laser sharp imaging and super high end detail levels, kind of pushing the boundaries of what's possible with current technology. Tralucent's
 hybrid comes across as the top dog or alpha male of the universal in ear monitor world simply crushing a majority of it's opponents with ease most likely leaving you asking yourself what the hell you've been doing wasting your time with all the other gear you purchased.


 Like the Terminator of 2013.

Hm.. How do you think AKG3003 compares?
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by LambFollower View Post

Hm.. How do you think AKG3003 compares?

Haven't heard K3003 sorry.
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post


Haven't heard K3003 sorry.

 

Wild K3003 appeared!

 

H20Fidelity used ATTEMPT TO SAVE MONEY

 

It's not very effective...

post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by LambFollower View Post

Hm.. How do you think AKG3003 compares?
I think that the 1plus2 is quite a bit better technically, but I find its mids too recessed and the build quality is kind of dodgy.

IMO the K3003 easily beats the AX60, DN1000 and the Rhapsodio RDBv1 technically.
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Lotus View Post
 

 

Wild K3003 appeared!

 

H20Fidelity used ATTEMPT TO SAVE MONEY

 

It's not very effective...


The only way I'll hear a K3003 is if someone decides to loan one to me, or an audition, but going off ears I trust here, I take their word 1Plus2 is superior, I just have to much written information from members I trust that puts K3003 behind Tralucents hybrid. Of course....complete judgment is dormant until hearing the AKG.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Hybrid IEM comparison requested: Astrotec AX60, DUNU DN1000, TPEOS H200