or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Matrix Mini-i Pro Impressions?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Matrix Mini-i Pro Impressions? - Page 8

post #106 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellenback View Post
I'd venture to say the opposite as I hear the original as quite smooth and warm. I suppose it could be the ESS DAC chip as it's said by some to be quite bright in most implementations.


Totally agree with this statement. I bought my Mini-I Pro couple of days ago and must say that i'm pretty disappointed with it's very soft and smooth presentation by now.

post #107 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdmortal View Post

Its quite stange to read about "aggressive nature of Mini-i Pro". I`ve listened to it with different heaphones (242 HD, 990 Pro, 770 Pro) and i canHDay that Mini-i Pro sounds rather smooth and a little bit dark. No aggressiveness at all.
Might be the difference in headphones. HD800s are audio microscopes, after all. Also those comments were in comparison to the Mini-I normal and the X-Sabre. I am confident if you had both Mini-I together it would be obvious.

With the HD600 the aggressiveness of the Pro was a nice counter to the passive sounding HD600s, which is why I mentioned it would be a great combo in my review. If I only had HD600s to review with I might not have concluded that the Mini-I Pro was very aggressive, it would have been just right.
post #108 of 282

I personally find the Mini-i pro to be ruler-flat and neutral.. 

 

Am I the only one?

post #109 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post


Might be the difference in headphones. HD800s are audio microscopes, after all. Also those comments were in comparison to the Mini-I normal and the X-Sabre. I am confident if you had both Mini-I together it would be obvious.

With the HD600 the aggressiveness of the Pro was a nice counter to the passive sounding HD600s, which is why I mentioned it would be a great combo in my review. If I only had HD600s to review with I might not have concluded that the Mini-I Pro was very aggressive, it would have been just right.

 

Honestly it seems to me that you could mistake two units: Mini-i Pro and Mini-i when you were doing your tests. Because i`ve listened to Mini-i too and in my opinion it is brighter than Mini-i Pro. The headphones are the same (990 Pro, 770 Pro, 242 HD). I can`t name Mini-i aggresive or harsh but if i had to choose i would pick out Mini-i as more "aggresive" than Mini-i Pro.  

post #110 of 282
That's really surprising to me as the normal was fairly dull and relaxed, IMO. Sometimes people get carried away with comments, but this is a true case of night and day between units. I'd easily be able to pass a DBT. The Pro just has a LOT more bite to the sound, where the normal is a clean polite sound. And there's no way I could mistake the units as they are different color chassis.
post #111 of 282

Hi,

 

I've got two questions about the new Matrix Mini-i versions:

1. Has anybody tried to connect a SPDIF signal to the AES/EBU input with a simpel adapter cable? I know there a differences in voltage, impedance and even protocol, but I have read in the net, that it should work in most cases anyway (e.g. http://www.sonicsense.com/blog/reviews-and-tutorials/how-to-convert-between-spdif-and-aes-digital-audio)

 

2. How is volume control done? Is it done in the digital domain (with quality loss) or by some resistor ladder in the output?

post #112 of 282
I don't know the answer to #1. As for #2, volume control is done in the digital domain, however it is handled well above where quality loss would occur. This is pretty commonplace these days with processors capable of handling 32 bit signals.
post #113 of 282

Thanks for your answer. This means the 16 bit input signal is upscaled to 32 bit? This should add way enough room for volume control then :happy_face1:

post #114 of 282

BTW: Is there a store in Europe that sells the Matrix DAC?

 

EDIT:

I've found these shops for EU customers:

http://www.kidultdiagnostic.com A shop from Hong Kong with a ware house in UK. 1 year warranty on Matrix products, return address also in UK.

http://www.audiophonics.fr A shop in France, shipping to EU (did not ask them about warranty)

http://headphoniaks.com/gb/ A shop in Spain, shipping to EU (did not ask them about warranty)


Edited by weissglut - 3/20/14 at 3:30am
post #115 of 282

Sure wish there were more reviews and comparisons to base a decision on...anyone else own one and willing to share their opinion? I like the original but got a great deal on eBay on it so > $500 for the pro makes it a tougher call.

post #116 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellenback View Post
 

Sure wish there were more reviews and comparisons to base a decision on...anyone else own one and willing to share their opinion? I like the original but got a great deal on eBay on it so > $500 for the pro makes it a tougher call.

 

I have one, what would you like to know?

post #117 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Lotus View Post
 

 

I have one, what would you like to know?

 

Thanks for the reply. I saw your "ruler flat" statement which was a good start but there are differing opinions in this thread so was wondering if anyone else could give an opinion.

 

Have you heard the original Mini-i and if so how improved is the SQ? Is it worth twice the price of the original and how does it compare with higher priced units (DSD capable and/or not).

 

Thanks again for any input.

post #118 of 282

Hi, guys,

No one tried DT880 600 with Mini-i / Pro ? I have Asus STX and M-Stage amp with my DT880, but looking for replace of my soundcard. I would like to use the Mini-i dac+amp, not only the dac section.

post #119 of 282

"By the way, the delay on my review was that I received a Mini-I Pro that might have a faulty USB connection. I had trouble connecting the device and it wouldn't play high rate PCM (352.8 and 384) without stuttering. I asked others here as well as the USA distributor who also asked Matrix in China to try to replicate my problem and nobody could. I feel confident this is an isolated incident."

 

 

I have the exact same problem, was your unit faulty?


Edited by TonyRoma - 4/12/14 at 9:54am
post #120 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by weissglut View Post
 

BTW: Is there a store in Europe that sells the Matrix DAC?

 

EDIT:

I've found these shops for EU customers:

http://www.kidultdiagnostic.com A shop from Hong Kong with a ware house in UK. 1 year warranty on Matrix products, return address also in UK.

 

 

According to their site, it's free shipping from HK but $60 from within the UK!  That doesn't make sense, and so expensive too (about three times what you normally pay inside the UK)


Edited by BrainFood - 4/12/14 at 12:46pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Matrix Mini-i Pro Impressions?