Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Help with Upgrading from Hifimediy Sabre DAC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Help with Upgrading from Hifimediy Sabre DAC - Page 2

post #16 of 25

So aside form sound quality, I also consier functionality when I'm bying a dac.

 

Do you have any other sources you plan to use? Gaming systems, Dvd players anything you feel that you may need to or want to plug into your dac. I my self plugged my Wii U into my TV then used the Digital out of my TV [SpDif] and ran that straight into my dac then my amp, so if you have or plan on getting another source, then consider the inputs and outputs your dac has. If you only have on source, then considering getting a Dac with multiple out puts, so you can feed your dac into multiple amps. My biggest issue with the oDac was onyl one ou tput, and at the time I owned 2 amps. ANd I liked a different amp with a different headphone as well. [I had a tube and a solid state] 

 

when I had my first set up, my oDac, My M Stage and my Millet Hybrid amp I really craved for two outputs on my dac, as a new member I encourage you to get a new dac with at least multiple out puts. So in teh future when and if you decide to try and buy other amps [it is fun listeing to new gear I think] you won't have to constantly b switching cables. Even if we are talking months down teh road, investing in a more functional dac is always a good idea! 


Edited by Mshenay - 12/18/13 at 11:19am
post #17 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post
 

So aside form sound quality, I also consier functionality when I'm bying a dac.

 

Do you have any other sources you plan to use? Gaming systems, Dvd players anything you feel that you may need to or want to plug into your dac. I my self plugged my Wii U into my TV then used the Digital out of my TV [SpDif] and ran that straight into my dac then my amp, so if you have or plan on getting another source, then consider the inputs and outputs your dac has. If you only have on source, then considering getting a Dac with multiple out puts, so you can feed your dac into multiple amps. My biggest issue with the oDac was onyl one ou tput, and at the time I owned 2 amps. ANd I liked a different amp with a different headphone as well. [I had a tube and a solid state] 

 

when I had my first set up, my oDac, My M Stage and my Millet Hybrid amp I really craved for two outputs on my dac, as a new member I encourage you to get a new dac with at least multiple out puts. So in teh future when and if you decide to try and buy other amps [it is fun listeing to new gear I think] you won't have to constantly b switching cables. Even if we are talking months down teh road, investing in a more functional dac is always a good idea! 

If I do decide to upgrade, I would possibly use an optical input 10% of the time (USB input 90%).  I really don't care about having multiple outputs.

post #18 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbenrfan99 View Post
 

If I do decide to upgrade, I would possibly use an optical input 10% of the time (USB input 90%).  I really don't care about having multiple outputs.

Then look into something with multiple inputs, that might be a smart upgrade for you! 

post #19 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegunner100 View Post
 

The better your amp and headphones, the more of a difference you will notice.

 

YMMV, IMO, caveat emptor, etc etc.

hahaha true that.

 

btw offtopic. who is the green anime chick in your prof pix?

post #20 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegunner100 View Post
 

 

I disagree... the hd600/650 are not picky at all, but the hd800 is. The hd800s are so picky because they are so damn transparent. They will reveal whatever ****ty gear you might have (AKA, the hifimediy). The dac chip is not the most important part of the dac. The PSUs and analog sections are more important. The modi also provides async usb, whereas the original hifimediy does not. 

 

Go for the modi. If you don't find that it provided enough of a sonic improvement, return it.

I don't know if I have the original Hifimediy Sabre or the newer one with async.  If it is the older model, does that make the Modi a much better option?  I got it from this listing: http://www.head-fi.org/t/654220/hifimediy-sabre-dac-with-es9023-and-te7022-up-to-24-96

post #21 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by money4me247 View Post
 

hahaha true that.

 

btw offtopic. who is the green anime chick in your prof pix?

 

It's Sanae Kochiya from Touhou :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbenrfan99 View Post
 

I don't know if I have the original Hifimediy Sabre or the newer one with async.  If it is the older model, does that make the Modi a much better option?  I got it from this listing: http://www.head-fi.org/t/654220/hifimediy-sabre-dac-with-es9023-and-te7022-up-to-24-96

That should be the older version, considering the sale date. Yeah that would make the modi a better option. I don't know how well the async hifimediy performs though.

post #22 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbenrfan99 View Post
 

I don't know if I have the original Hifimediy Sabre or the newer one with async.  If it is the older model, does that make the Modi a much better option?  I got it from this listing: http://www.head-fi.org/t/654220/hifimediy-sabre-dac-with-es9023-and-te7022-up-to-24-96

not sure, but i would imagine if it was async, he would have posted it. PM the trader. either way, it doesn't make that big of a difference impo.

 

it's not like you can hear async lol. http://www.pstracks.com/pauls-posts/myth-asynchronous-dac/6291/

post #23 of 25
Thread Starter 

I still haven't made a decision.  What do other people think?

post #24 of 25
Thread Starter 

I ended up getting a used Little Dot DAC I for $125.  Immediately, I can notice a clear general improvement in sound quality over the Sabre, and I usually have to do extensive direct comparisons to notice differences.  I'm not sure if I should attribute this to qualities of the DAC itself, or if it is simply allowing the Vali to reach closer to its full potential.  Anyway, my music now has more impact with the DT 880, something that was occasionally bothering me.  I am also hearing more bass than before.

post #25 of 25
IMO there are only so many limited number of ways to build a DAC. There is no "magic" involved here. I think it is much more straightforward of a design compared with an amp. I also think there are probably some very good inexpensive DAC chips available nowadays. So I do not expect the differences between a well designed and tested $150 DAC and a much more expensive lets say $400 DAC to be easy to notice. By the time the audio signal goes through the amp part. I am skeptical if any difference can be noticed at at all. IMO any "magic" will be more likely found in the analog amp part of the setup, including the headphones.

Edit: I see the OP has already made his decision. Should of read through all the thread more carefully.

Bob Graham
Edited by r010159 - 1/25/14 at 10:40pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Help with Upgrading from Hifimediy Sabre DAC