For reasons I really fail to understand , my wife and neighbours are not always keen to listen to the fantastic sound delivered by my new Audiolab 8200DQ/P+ B&W CM9 HiFi system.
As such, I'm forced (and excited) to take my first step into the world of HiFi headphones, and I need your help.
here are some details to help you point me in the right direction:
- Where: I will use them 100% at home, in a quiet environment
- What: I am quite eclectic, but I mainly like Classic Rock, Alternative Rock, Electronic (Moby & similar) and Classical (mainly Opera).
- Amp: Audiolab 8200DQ (Pre-amp/DAC). Based on the answer of my local Audiolab support center, the 8200DQ will work well with headphones having impedance between 50 and 100 Ohm.
- Source: Mac mini connected via USB 2.0 to the Audiolab 8200DQ
- Track quality: many ALAC 16bit/44.1KHz (ripped from CDs) and many AAC 256kbps
- Budget: I would like to stay below 200/250 Euro for this first step
1) enjoy good music
2) learn how to distinguish and describe the differences in sound reproduction I ear with different setups and settings. I can tell what I like best, but I can't describe it. I need a pair of headphones that help me discern the different sound characteristics.
I am actually looking at the AKG 612 Pro which should match my needs, based on my actual (poor) understanding of the headphones world... but I ask your help to make a wise choice.
I hope I didn't write any typical newbie mistake/idiocy!
Thanks in advance for your help!
Edited by doraymon - 12/16/13 at 2:55am