I agree as long as when you say, "cost" you mean relative bargain. :)
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudeze LCD2 Rev. 2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by dbsaffor, 1/25/14
- productGrado GS1000tagged by dbsaffor, 1/25/14
- productGrado Professional Series PS500 - Headphonestagged by dbsaffor, 1/25/14
- productGrado Statement Series GS1000i Headphonestagged by dbsaffor, 1/25/14
- productRay Samuels Audio Emmeline SR-71B Balanced Amptagged by dbsaffor, 1/25/14
- productShure SE425 Earphonetagged by dbsaffor, 1/25/14
Related Forum Threads
- Grado Fan Club! Last post on Today at 9:44 pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Audeze lcd-2 vs Grado gs1000i Last post on 3/23/14 at 3:06pm in Headphones (full-size)
- lcd-2 weight Last post on 7/16/14 at 5:14am in Headphones (full-size)
- New cans soon: GS1000, HE500, or LCD2 Last post on 1/31/14 at 8:38am in Headphones (full-size)
- Audition Darth Beyer V4. Last post on 12/10/13 at 8:21pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: Yesterday
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 7/14/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 6/26/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 6/26/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/28/15
The NEW Headphone Lounge Thread - Page 12
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #167 of 4475/25/14 at 10:15pmpost #168 of 4475/26/14 at 9:43pmTed is offering several options on ordering a new sliver Litz. I am wondering about what to specify. Does sleeving make the cable earlier to handle ( less likley to hang up on things) than a braid? Does the cable sound better braided or sleeved? I would imagine that I would want the y-connect wood with each driver having its own connector on my HD600s and it looks better than heat shrink?
I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts.
sleeving? color? or just braided ?
y-connect wood ? logo shrink? skull?post #169 of 4475/27/14 at 12:09amQuote:Originally Posted by Vangelis
Ted is offering several options on ordering a new sliver Litz. I am wondering about what to specify. Does sleeving make the cable earlier to handle ( less likley to hang up on things) than a braid? Does the cable sound better braided or sleeved? I would imagine that I would want the y-connect wood with each driver having its own connector on my HD600s and it looks better than heat shrink?
I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts.
sleeving? color? or just braided ?
y-connect wood ? logo shrink? skull?
I would avoid sleeving as it increases the microphonics on the cable as well as making it rather rigid.
As for the Y connector, whatever strikes your fancy. I had Ted just use a small carbon fiber barrel but again to each his own.
Edited by spook76 - 5/27/14 at 1:11pmpost #170 of 4475/27/14 at 1:04pmQuote:
Thankspost #171 of 4475/27/14 at 1:37pmFor portable headphones that I walk through airports and such with, I never sleeve them so that the cables are flexible and microphonics are minimized.
For over-ear headphones that I use while at home, I do get those sleeved. I don't have to worry about microphonics because I am sitting in a chair with a cable that runs several feet. Anyone else accidentally walked over ther headphone cable while on the trip back to the sofa?
Bottom line, intended use may drive that choice.
Cheers!post #172 of 4476/1/14 at 3:11pm
i agree with not using any sleeve on iem cables and its more of a personal choice for fullsize.post #173 of 4476/4/14 at 5:03pmA month into my new silver litz cable, I have to say it is the best cable I have from Ted. The insulation on these are a touch firmer and they never tangle. As for the sound the PRaT with silver litz is truly a step above the old OCC silvers.post #174 of 4476/4/14 at 6:10pm
I didn't realize a new thread had been opened on The Headphone Lounge until today! No flies on me...
I was on the original thread and wanted to post again here how happy I am with Ted and his cables. I can't add anything new to what's already been said, all I can do is reiterate that Ted is as honest as is the day is long, provides unparalleled customer service pre and post sale, and order turnaround time is amazingly fast. I don't know how he does it but I'm happy he does. I just ordered another cable today for my LCD-2's. Can't wait for them to arrive next week.post #175 of 4476/5/14 at 10:17amI just ordered my second cable from Ted last week and as always Ted was very friendly and helpful. He actually called me to go over all the different options that were available to me. I can't remember that last time I had a merchant call me to offer support. Way to go Ted!post #176 of 4476/9/14 at 8:04pmpost #177 of 4476/13/14 at 5:27pm
If this has been discussed in the past, I apologize in advance. I'm curious, if anyone who has the Shure SE846 IEM and has one of these aftermarket cables, which one you went with, and how does the new cable sound compared to the stock Shure SE846 cable? Also, do you feel it is worth the price for the auditory upgrade? (not talking about the comfort of the cables at all). Thanks for your input.post #178 of 4476/13/14 at 5:48pmQuote:Originally Posted by M Coupe
I want to start my post by beginning with a Sincere Thanks to a great businessman - Thanks Ted Allen!
One of the first thing to affect customer perception is customer service and the transaction process. Ted gets it right-
1. If you are new to headphones/IEMs and are not even sure what you need from cable type, connector type, cable length and so on, you are kindly educated and provded with the details regarding exactly what your options are. This is a great service so that when your cable arrives you don't have to worry about ordering the wrong thing.
2. Speed to order-fulfillment. I read stories of people spending good money only to wait, wait,wait and wait some more. I had my cables in about 1 week both times I ordered. Not only did my cables come in as promised, but I was sent the tracking number without having to ask for it. I know this seems like a no-brainer but I am amazed how few small businesses do this. Kudos Ted!
3. Problem resolution. I have never had a problem except my own user error and Ted was kind enough to help me figure out what I had done wrong...then we both shared a laugh.
4. Value- It is a stunning value. If anyting, I think Ted should charge more for his product...scratch that The carbon fiber y connecter and plug look very high end. The cable itself is beautifully made and nice pearly silver/white look to it. It is more flexible than the stock 846 or westone cable as well.
I am using RSA intruder and have both the silver cable and the new reference Silver Litz cable from Ted in balanced format. Right now I have the Litz connected to my 846SE and the standard silver cable connected to my W60.
1. Balanced Litz compared to stock with single ended- This is a massive upgrade. I feel like this is in the range of a 25-30% sound improvement. The regular non-Litz cable from Ted was around 20% improvement vs stock.
2. The soundstage becomes more holographic and extends further beyond the earphone. Big difference.
3. The speed and attack of the music is vastly improved. I notice that bass and mid bass do tighten up.
4. A little more air on the top end without becoming analytical or bright. I hate analytical sound so Ted got this just right.
5. I don't get any microphonics to speak of when walking around with the cable.
The new Litz cable is a massive success! Thanks again Ted!
My older regular silver cable from Ted is on the Left. The new reference Litz cable is on the right side of the picture. Can you see that cool carbon fiber connecter?!?
Great review, M Coupe! Informative, and well written! I am wondering if you feel it was worth the price for the upgraded cable? Do you have any issues with the MMCX connections, meaning is the connection of the cable and the Shure SE846 as tight as stock, and do you have any intermittent signal issues if the cable moves around the MMCX connection area? Also, I would like to know if you feel that you may still want to try other cables to see if there might be one out there that may sound great as well, or...do you feel that this new cable is the pinnacle of excellence for you, and you are not thinking testing other cables at all? Just wondering. Thanks in advance. Also, what is the length of the cable you have?post #179 of 4476/13/14 at 6:22pmQuote:Originally Posted by moedawg140
If this has been discussed in the past, I apologize in advance. I'm curious, if anyone who has the Shure SE846 IEM and has one of these aftermarket cables, which one you went with, and how does the new cable sound compared to the stock Shure SE846 cable? Also, do you feel it is worth the price for the auditory upgrade? (not talking about the comfort of the cables at all). Thanks for your input.
Check out post 161 above that is a review of the stock 846 with Ted's superb new silver litz cable. I wish I could write as well as MCoupe but I am not a marketing genius like him.post #180 of 4476/14/14 at 3:33amQuote:
Thanks, spook76. I contacted M Coupe and the other user on Head-Fi who have the Silver Litz cable with the Shure SE846, and both have been very helpful with me. If I do get one of these, I will make sure to create a review as well. I'm going to be posting a review of the Estron Linum MMCX BaX cable as well once I have the rights to post pics on here (not enough posts yet). Slight spoiler: I returned them.Return Home
- The NEW Headphone Lounge Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › My DIY electrostatic headphones 1 minute ago
- › FS: Grado RS2e 1 minute ago
- › "The Lab" 2 minutes ago
- › FS: ATH-AD700 2 minutes ago
- › Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) 3 minutes ago
- › Shure 1540 with alpha pads!!! 4 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-XB950BT Bluetooth headphones 4 minutes ago
- › Advice on headphones!!! 5 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (5/31/2015: Beyer COP+ and... 6 minutes ago
- › Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions 8 minutes ago
- › VE Zen by Hisoundfi
- › Lumia 640 LTE RM-1072 Black - Factory Unlocked - International... by Mink
- › MEElectronics M6 PRO Universal-Fit Noise-Isolating Musician’s... by whitemass
- › Aurisonics Rockets Solo Precision Micro-Dynamic Noise Isolating... by eke2k6
- › Beats Solo HD On-Ear Headphone by Skylarke
- › Heaven VII by peter123
- › Noble Audio BTS by HiFiChris
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by Cagin
- › Philips Fidelio L2 by White Lotus
- › Etymotic ER-4P Portable In-Ear Earphones by ElMarcado
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3